1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Using lead and steel wool in stock

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by J - Trap, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J - Trap

J - Trap TS Member

I just recently added weight to my gun by putting round lead fishing weights and steel wool in stock. I packed it in tight as to make sure it would not move around.But was wondering if over time it would create steel wool dust and cause a problem.I shoot a Beretta silver pigeon trap combo( Joel Etchen Gun). Thanks in advance for your opinions.
    josh andersen

2. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Josh, If it were me, I would go to a plumbing supply house and get a few ounces of lead wool, Steel wool slivers can STING. Larry Evans

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Try using cotton balls instead of steel wool. The steel wool will disintergrate over time and make a rusty mess in your gun. HMB

4. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Stainless steel wool (pot scrubbers) work quite well as substitutes for steel wool.

Morgan

5. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

J-Trap, I added weight to my Rem 870 in the butt by taking an empty shell, filling it almost full with shot, topping off with Gorilla Glue, and enclosing the whole thing in heat shrink tubing. It ended up fitting the hole like a glove. By the time I tightened down the recoil pad, it was absolutely tight. It's had over 1,000 rounds through it since, and it's still as tight as the day I made it.

Best,
    Dennis

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Just get a piece of cold rolled steel bar stock in the correct diameter and cut off a length to fit in the hole in your stock. You'll find it cleaner and easier to remove that what you tried. You'll also find it weighs more than the lead fishing weights you dropped in.

I'd also recommend you drill and tap a ho;e in the back end so you can insert a screw to pull it out.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

If you can afford it, I would use shot in a container (empty hull?) and fill the remaining part of the hole with scrap cloth. It is important to be able to remove the weight and filler. I would not use steel wool.

Pat Ireland

8. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Josh.....Thats a gun that deserves better! Do it right! Take all that crap out and put in the stock a Mercury recoil device. Death lead weight really doesn't have the counter-recoil characteristics of moving mercury! The mercury is a piston[OF SORTS]....the lead is dead!

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Hipshot 3 =ace? Splashing forward is what mercury does, dead lead is stable and acts quicker on recoil at ignition. Works to tame recoil quicker than spring loaded weights or the liquid kind. Hap

10. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

That would be a hell of a mess in a few years, all that rusty steel wool. Steve

11. $$90-T$$

$$90-T$$ Member

Thanks to everyone for all the responses. Don't be fooled by the sign-on name, I recently changed it. I did take out the steel wool. I'm still using the lead weight but packed it with foam rubber instead. Seems like it should be fine. Hipshot,I did take the gun to have a mercury recoil reducer installed in the beginning. The gunsmith said that because I have an adjustable comb the post would be in the way of where he would drill hole in stock. I assumed he was correct and it made sense. He is a very reputable gunsmith. I would have rather gone that route.Thanks again for all the information. What little I know about trap shooting and shotguns in general was learned on this web site.
    josh andersen

12. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Hap.........What is this ace stuff all of a sudden? Please let me in on the joke if thats what it is! I'm intelligent,handsome,rich, and a good shooter, but I ain't no ace. I've never even flown a plane! Although some of my friends do out of Anchorage!

13. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

one guy I know found shot to be too heavy in the buttstock of his BT-99 and filled up the space with spent primers....it was just the right amount of weight to do the job...then he hollowed out the forend and used a bit of shot embedded in epoxy to give him the balance he needed. The gun felt great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.