1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Using field guns for tournament shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 27, 2013.

1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Over the years, I have seen numerous new shooters shoot league with field guns. Some of these shooters have shot this same field gun for years. Some shoot very well, but as soon as they start tournament shooting most fellow trapshooters tell them that they need to get a bonafided trap gun.

In some instances, the new shooter has trouble even close to shooting good scores like he previously shot with his old field gun.

I recently ran into a friend that I use to work with and he could shoot the daylights out with a old Mossberg 500 field gun with a 28 inch full choke barrel. I asked him why he stopped shooting the Mossberg as he had this gun since he was a kid?

He told me regular trapshooters suggested that he get a real trap gun as his scores would eventually get even better. Long story short, he averaged 24's with his old gun, and now he told me he's only averaging 21's at best.

He said he just can't shoot a gun that shoots as high as his new trap gun. He also told me that he wanted to be accepted and did not like the looks and comments he would get using his Mossberg in tournaments.

I laughed and told him start using his old Mossberg again, and he will be the one laughing as he will be in the winners circle sometimes. I also told him if I could locate a J.C. Higgins with a trap stock and full choke barrel that I could shoot well, I'd use it.

Do you agree, use the gun that you can shoot the best scores regardless if it's a field gun or not? To my knowledge, the name of the game is still how many targets can you break?

I told him forget about peer pressure, shoot the gun that you know how to shoot.
    What is your opinion on this subject?
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

2. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

For years I shot a Remington Peerless. Damn I wish I'd never sold that gun.

Jerbear

3. Claybird2

Claybird2 Krieghoff K80 TS Supporters

Except for weight and possibly bbl length...........never really saw what the big hoopla was over field and clays gun. Shoot a quail....shoot a clay. If you shoot your field gun well.....why pay 5-6 hundred more for a specialized clay gun just because the manufacturers says too............ BTW......I strongly believe that's why gun makers do not make field guns with 30" bbls. People would buy them for clays......and they'd be out all that extra doe for their specialized "sporting" versions...............

4. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

The real issue is will the gun stand up to the thousands of rounds of Trap shooting then the real test comes does it shoot where you look and bust targets. Then thats the gun for you no matter what grade out shooting a squad of P or K guns with a Mossberg has it own rewards.

PS
    Watch out for that old farmer with coveralls with straw in his pockets and a Model 12 with no blueing left at game shoots YOU have been warned!!

Buddy Walters

5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Anyone who has a friend like Earl from the south will understand this,

My friend Earl came to shoot with me one time after visited his daughter in L.A., I was going to let him shoot my MX-8 that day, but he grabed my friend Rusty's old Model 12 field gun and shot a 25 on his first ever trap round, then told me this was kind of easy, I should try shoot some real birds.

6. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I started out with a Rem. M 11. Had my father throw targets with an old hand thrower throwing them all over the place. I broke a hundred and more straight several times. That was when my eyes and reflexes were at their peak.

Clyde

7. senior smoke

Old one eye:
    I agree totally with your statement. I asked Vic Reinder's one time if any one type of shooter concerned him when he shot a tournament? He said, I never worried about the guy with a spanking new gun with bright bluing and gold on it, as this guy most likely has not owned the gun long enough to really know where the gun shoots.

He also said watch out for the guy who has a gun with the bluing worn off, maybe throw in a little bit of rust, as most likely he has had this gun long enough that he knows how to shoot it.

I then asked him in all the years of shooting, who was the best shooter you ever saw? He said a father and son by the name of Arlo Hoon from Iowa. They kept their model 1897's in the barn and shoot daily.

He said I would always try to get them to shoot tournaments but they would not. He said if they did, he felt both of them could have possibly been all Americans. He also mentioned both guns had most of the bluing off as well as a bit of rust but still functioned flawlessly.
    Steve

8. smokinold32

smokinold32 Member

I was told one time, beware of the man that owns one shotgun. He WILL beat you. I was also told that target don't care where the shot came from. My son shot an 1100 Remington, 28 inch mod. barrel. I paid $75.00 used in 1976. Still going strong. He shot 95 to 98 16 yard all the time.

9. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

Don't worry about if that old Mossberg will last as long as a "K" or "P" gun. If it falls apart just get over to Wally World and buy another! Its not as if they cost a lot...

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Here's a couple pix of my old squirrel gun I shot trap with. Earned my way to the 27 with and won a car in LV.

[​IMG]
    The before pix when I was shooting this gun.

[​IMG]

After it was slightly embellished thanks to Howard Simon!!

HAP

11. senior smoke

Hap:
    Beautiful model 12.
    Steve

12. panthers314

panthers314 TS Member

that farmer in NC has a 870 and a stogie

13. Mapper

Mapper Member

If I recall correctly, Rev. Roebuck won the GAH one year with a model 12 with a field barrel on it.

14. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

There were quite a few Winchester M 37 field guns used for trap before WW 2.

15. senior smoke

When I first started shooting trap I had a field grade model 12 that I used. That gun was a certifiable smoke pole and I listened to some guy who said better get a trap gun. Like a fool I listened to him. Wish I had it back, as it shot where I looked.
    Steve

16. wm rike

wm rike Member

Mapper - the GAH was won two or three times with a field grade M-12. Actually, up until about 1960, there was quite list of field guns winning events at the Grand.

17. JRW

JRW Member

ATA 20 yrs with field mod 12. Friends told me I needed a trap gun, my avg. has never been as good since.

Search tags for this page

trap shooting with field guns

what would be the best field gun to shoot trap