1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Using Different Wads for Light Loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OldGoat, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I have used Claybuster clones of the Winchester WAA12 1-1/8 wads in Remington sTS hulls for both 1-1/8 and 1 oz. light (1145 fps) loads with no problems when I ran out of 1 oz. wads...the 1 oz. crimps with the 1-1/8 wads come out just a little "dished in". Any comments on this? Also, any thoughts on using Winchester WAA114 (1-1/4) wads for 1-1/8? I would expect the same "dished in" crimps, but with relatively light (1145 fps) loads would anyone think there would be problem using up the 1-1/4 wads for this? When "jury rigging" or using up wads this way, I have only used them for practice...not competition. Best Regards, Ed

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Ed..... While I'm certainly not an expert on this subject, I have to say that I have found, as a general rule, that all my reloads works better, pattern better, and reload easier, if I stay with the wad recommended for the specific load I'm shooting. I use the Downrange Neon Green 1oz. wads for my one ounce loads, the Downrange Versalite 11/8oz wad for my handicap loads, and the Winchester WW1114 for my 11/4oz. meat shoot loads. I just don't feel like inviting any "trouble" into my reloading room by switching things around and experimenting.... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Ed: Like Dan, I use the Downrange Neon Green 1 oz wads for my 1 oz loads. However, I also use them for my "heavier loads". Now I don't load a full 1- 1/8 oz. for my heavy loads. A 1- 1/8 oz load is 492 grains. I reworked one of my shot bushings and it throws 468 grains. ( Approximately 1-1/16 oz ). Both of these loads produce perfect crimps on my Hornady 366. I use 18 grains of Promo or Red Dot powder. Don't know what powder you use. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.