1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Using D&E Scope-Eze to make comb parallel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chuck DeVoid, May 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck DeVoid

Chuck DeVoid Member

Before buying one to try it, I ask if anyone has any experience with this product. It sticks onto the comb of a rifle or shotgun, and what I'm interested in is that it's tapered in varying heights -- 3/8 X 3/4, 5/8 X 1", etc.. It's primary purpose is for use on rifle stocks when mounting a scope for those stocks with insufficient comb height.

On a gun I sometimes use for doubles, the adjustable comb is a little thin for my face, but more importantly, I'd like to have it parallel. As is, I can get a little cock to the comb front to rear, but not enough to be parallel. A simple and clean solution would seem to be the 3/8 X 3/4 Scope-Eze, which would be just about right height and parallel wise. My plan would be to trim it along the bottom to be even with the bottom edge of the comb.

Before doing something silly (not a new experience), I ask if anyone has any experience with this product, how it works, and if my idea sounds feasible?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

2. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Bill,

The Scope-Eze would make the comb higher and the right one would probably make it parallel BUT all would move the eye to the inside of the stock and no longer in-line with the rib.

When shooting a rifle the head could be cocked to horizontally align the the eye with the scope but that same head-cocking would be a serious problem when shooting moving targets with a shotgun.

The Scope-Eze may be able to be rotated or tilted on the comb to avoid its moving the cheek (and eye) to the inside and out of alignment with the rib but that's uncertain.

Rollin

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

They work great......I used one for years to raise and "parallel" the comb on a Red Label, at the suggestion of no less that Jack West. Be careful that it's lined up right when you stick it down 'cause when it sticks-----it's STUCK.

John C. Saubak

4. Chuck DeVoid

Chuck DeVoid Member

Thanks Rollin. I'm grateful someone of your expertise answered my inquiry.

I had thought to trim the scope-eze to be even with the bottom of the comb piece and then move the comb sideways to compensate for the added thickness.

The only right way is to have a new comb top made that would be parallel, or made with the female post receptacles oversize or ecliptical so it could be cocked front to rear enough to be parallel. But, I'm fairly handy and trying to do this myself. (read cheap)

I'm just trying to figure out how to adjust my comb without resorting to moleskin, duct tape, etc., and have it look nice. I thought of using automotive bondo or something, sanding, and then either paint it or cover it with vinyl. This might be the best option....

Any other ideas would be appreciated. Does anyone know where I can buy a comb top that maybe I can play with, without altering the one I have??

Thanks again,

Bill

5. Chuck DeVoid

Chuck DeVoid Member

John, do you remember if the material the scope-eze is made from can be sanded, like a recoil pad can be??

Reason I ask is that the 3/8 X 3/4" scope-eze (which is the smallest one) might be a little severe. I would need to trim it down, especially towards the front since I'm trying to gain my height in the rear, not the front.

Please let me know if you think the scope-eze could be sanded. I read it's made from "extra dense polymer foam rubber", but without seeing it personally I'm not sure if it can be trimmed or not.

Thanks, Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
d e scope eze

d&e scope eze

d-e scope eze
extra comb to make comb parallel
for sale d e scope eze
materials scope eze
scope eze
stick on parallel comb