1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Using and automatic for trap shooting?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by SEC, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEC

SEC TS Member

Using an automatic for trap shooting?

I was wondering how many out there in Trapshooters.com land use an automatic for 16yd and/or handicap shooting?
    Why did you choose an automatic?
    Is there a different etiquette to follow when using an automatic?

Scott

2. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

I just bought an automatic, reason being that a lot of shooters use them and I wanted one to learn how they work. Most people use them out of cost or recoil reduction. With my new 1100, I do not notice any recoil reduction, and my 870 trap was cheaper than the 1100, so I guess I really don't have a reason to have an 1100. As far as trapshooters.com, I'd guess most people on here have high dollar break actions and do not use an auto for trap.

3. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

With all due respect. If you are using an auto-loader for trap, please get a shell catcher and use it. There are high priced trap guns on the line at times. An ejected shell could fly over to the next shooter and put a mark on his trap gun. Most trap shooters don't like shell flying over and hitting them.

Thank you

Frank

4. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

i use a beretta 391. i also own a rem 1100. the 391 is my choice for it's low recoil and low maintainace .you still have to clean it often but there are no o rings to replace. a standard 391 trap will cost a little more than an 1100 trap but it's worth it. and as stated above if you buy an auto for gods sake get a shell catcher if you want to have any friends at the end of the day.

5. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

Used an 1100 as my back up gun to my 870. Yes I had a shell catcher. But, The 1100 shot to me just as good as the 870. The gun was my wifes and she loved it. Like I said I used it mainly for back up and Doubles. She basicly shot 16's. Now and then she would shoot a handycaper. Not to often. Just had to be a little more free with cleaning the 1100 than the 870. But at the end of the seasons they both went down for a good total field strip cleaning. I am putting this same shooting system together now. I now have the 870 and am going after a good 1100 soon. And by the way, they both were field grades with vent Ribs. I had the gunsmithy put on a center post on both and the stock cut down on the 1100 to fit the wife. I was just promoted to the 24 yard line and upped from class C to class B when I got sick and could not shoot for several years. I am back and am doing it the same way. Both guns were 28" modified chokes. Did good with both even though the stock was shorter on the 1100. Rich.(inPeoria,Az.)

6. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I use an 1100 trap. And I have a shell catcher.

Forrest

7. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

In reality you shoot a "semi-automatic". (one shot for each trigger pull) An automatic shoots numerous rounds when the trigger is pulled. It is important to use this terminology in this day and age. The anti-gunners will start to "spread the word" that people in the shooting sports are using automatics. We certainly don't need Dianne Feinstein, Sarah Brady, etc. saying that we are now armed with automatic assault weapons! Same goes for many shooters stating they have "clips" for their handguns and/ or rifles. They are magazines not clips. Give these idiot anti-gunners an inch and they will take a mile. Just a thought. Ed

8. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Lots of folks shoot autos. The advantage is that they have less recoil and they are inexpensive.

9. stskid

stskid TS Member

Pullbang offers sound advice!!

I had just purchased a brand new BT-99 Golden Clays. Had it fit at Kolar (who did a great job) and low and behold the very first time I took it out to shoot it was hit by an ejected shell from a fellow who was shooting next to me using an 1100 with no shell catcher.

the person was very apologetic but that didn't repair the nick on my brand new stock.

If an automatic is the gun you shoot well, by all means, use it. But please, use a shell catcher.

10. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

I use a Beretta A303 with release trigger. Have both a a 682 and 686 but seems to shoot the 303 better. As mentioned above, a shell catcher is a must! Also, when shooting with voice calls. watch when you put it into battery, I always wait to the shooter next to me fires and then release the bolt, that way I don't send an extra bird downrange!

11. smartass

smartass TS Member

Never use a shell catcher, it's more fun to bounce the hulls off your neighbor's head. They might whine a little, but they really love the attention.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The really correct terminology is a self-loading shotgun.<br>
    <br>
    But regardless, I do not like having to add a lot of ballast to a pump, or using a heavy gun, for shotgun sports. I can get better recoil reduction in a lighter gun by using a gas-operated shotgun. I also hunt, and it makes sense to me to use the same gun for shooting sports as hunting. Consequently, my hunting shotguns have monte carlo stocks as well, to maintain the same POI.<br>
    <br>
    As for shell catchers, you can use them for doubles. A better solution would be to install a shell deflector stud. Most of my shotguns throw the shells forward, so it's not an issue. My son's LT-20 is a nasty little shell flinger, but no one makes a shell catcher for it. I need to get a stud installed in it. In the meantime, he ALWAYS shoots to my left, so I get hit with the hulls, not someone else.

13. DocJim

DocJim Member

I use a 1100 for singles and doubles and use a shellcatcher for the singles. The barrel has the factory "deflector stud" but it still throws the case a little further than I would like, but usually to the front of the shooter on my right. Any thoughts as to how I might "tame" the ejection a little more? BTW jackmithch I would differ with you on the 391 vs the 1100. IMO the 1100 has lower recoil, has a better stock grip (butt), swings better and is far easier to clean. What's the deal with the o-ring, just keep a few extra ones in your shooting bag. All a matter of personal preference and what you shoot the best with. Jim G

14. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

I shoot a Remington 1100 TC thaty is 3 years old for all factions. When shooting singles and cap I use a shell catcher because I reload. When shooting doubles I have had no trouble or complants with flying hulls. The factory stud works great the hulls land about 24 to 30 inches from my right foot and infront of me. I have not had any hull hit the shooter to my right. Yes I have shoot next to a shooter with a field grade 1100 and had them all over me. I also had a hull hit me in the back of the neck from a BT-99 while getting ready to go on line the shooter was shooing from the 27 yd. line.

15. topgun

topgun TS Member

esoxhunter:
    Not to be picky but I put clips in my M1 Garand and whatsmore I put the clip in the magazine. I also use clips in my S&W 1917 .45ACP. But your right and the terminology is a little loose. What I really hate is people loading their guns with "bullets" and people refering to shot as BBs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

using an auto for trap

using automatic to shoot trap