1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Using an O/U for Singles and Handicap ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Do many folks use an Over/Under for everything ?

That is, they use an O/U for Singles and Handicap as well as for Doubles ?

No switching with a Combo set.

2. George MT.

George MT. Moderator Staff Member

I have been using a perazzi mx 10rs with 34o/u for double and singles and have been pleased with the results.Alittle heavey at times but fun all the same.

3. RogerAckerman

RogerAckerman Member

I have been using a Armi Gamba O/U for about 2 years now for Single,Handicap and Doubles with no problems,Gets a little heavy when shooting in evens,but other that that I like it.

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

When I bought my ST-100 new in 1980, I shot it for everything for 3 years. Got my first punch with a 98 from the 20. It was my dream gun....still kinda is, along with my Ljutic...

5. Storeman

Storeman Active Member

I have a 682x Beretta with 32" double barrels. For the 16 yard line
    I shoot the bottom barrel with a IM choke tube. When I go to the 20,
    and beyond I go to the upper barrel with a Light full choke and when
    I go to the 27 and beyond I go to my Un/Single 34" with a extra full
    choke tube. I have been shooting for over 50 years with a few 100 straight.

6. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

That's all I use, however I'm no All American. I do know AAs who shoot O/Us for everything though.

The whole combo deal seems to be a marketing gimmick to me. They make no sense, especially the good combos where the barrels are balanced and matched for weight and COG.

Extra cost, bigger and heavier to lug around in the case, I just don't get it from a practical or utilitarian perspective.

From a firearm manufacturing and marketing perspective its genius and feeds into the customer's innate need to own the latest and greatest.

A quality O/U will do everything you need. In one gun you have an un-single, top-single AND a doubles gun.

With that said, I did buy my wife a good used XT combo; but only because the deal was too sweet to pass up.

Guy Babin

7. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

Some of my best averages ever were with a Perazzi Mirage O/U. Recently bought a Browning XT O/U. First time I ever shot the gun I tied in a singles SV at the Dixie Grand and won the shoot off. I have to add that if I had been shooting my Ljutic I would have won outright with no need for a shoot off. (Might seem a little cocky but I really like my Ljutic).

Marc (luvtrapguns on a borrowed computer)

fcguth thanked this.
  8. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

In the early 80's I was shooting a lot of live birds, I decided to shoot my pigeon gun at trap, I shot a 30 inch 682 for everything. I broke the most 200's in a season I ever did and also broke 100's in doubles and handicap the same year, plus killed 25 straight at pigeons that winter.

I went back to a top single for caps later after I quit shooting pigeons. I think shooting an Over Under at singles and doubles helps.

Brad Dysinger

9. missemucho

missemucho Member

It was pointed out to me by a very experienced shooter recently that almost all of the shooters that are successfully shooting from the back fence are using long barreled unsingles. I had a tough time thinking of an exception.

Just an observation.

John

Ilano: I just said I couldn't come up with an example. Brad is a great shooter and has the ability to shoot about anything well. I agree that a lot of shooters use only an o/u for everything (I'm one, with my XT) however when T&F lists the handicap winners from the Grand I'll bet the majority of long yardage shooters that are successful will be shooting the long barreled unsingle.
    John

10. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

I shoot a Citori plus o/u for everything and it does just fine.

Also, as an example, the young man from Alabama that won the 100 Grand Challenge at the Grand last year did it with very stock looking Citori o/u!

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The targets can't tell the difference.

12. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

That's what Leo Harrison does!!!!!!!!!!PJ

13. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

I use an O/U for doubles and singles. Used to use it for handicap but couldn't get the scores up. I switched to a top single -Remington 870 TB. Scores have gone up dramatically , like 5-7 targets.

14. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

I picked up a Browning XT and shot a 25 straight on the first try with it. Exactly 7 days later shot my 1st 100 straight with the same gun. Works for me.

Chris

15. butcher

butcher Member

The good thing is that you are not switching guns or barrels.

16. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I shoot a third handed refurbished hi end combo gun, but my friend is deadly with his BT-99 for singles and handicaps.....for doubles he uses a Citori, as he thinks the triggers are faster. I like to shoot his browning o/u for singles.

17. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Winchester 101 for everything

18. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

The late, great Alberta shooter Bert Keer was a match for anybody with his 101. He had it rebuilt several times and was pure death on targets with it.

19. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I shot a Rem. 3200 for all three venues for a number of years scoring several staights at singles and moving back to 24 yards in caps before getting a fine single barrel. I continued to shoot well but at about the same progress rate with the two guns......breakemall

20. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

PJ,,,,,thought Leo used his top single for handicap???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.