1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Using an O/U for Handicaps...Opinions, Please

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ink ball, Nov 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ink ball

ink ball Member

Well...I finally succumbed to my desires and traded my Caesar Guerini combo set in on a Krieghoff K-80 Trap Special. I didn't have enough spare $$$ to buy the combo set, so for now I just bought the 32" TS O/U and figured down the road I'd add either a Top single or an Unsingle barrel.
    I shot the gun for the first time today, and adjusted the rib POI to my liking. I was surprised how well it worked for the handicaps. In fact, it worked so well, I'm wondering if I even NEED to buy a Top single or Unsingle barrel.
    I'd be curious to hear how many of you use O/U barrels for handicap targets and if you feel that there is a disadvantage to not using a single barrel gun for caps.

2. Frye

Frye TS Member

I use a Citori XT for caps and it just crushes targets at 27 yards and beyond. One of the clubs I shoot at has a 30 yard line. It's not hard to find yourself back to the 30 or even the parking lot for that matter in a shoot off. I'm currently using Estate 3 dram 7.5 shot and I'm not having any trouble at all hitting long targets. I shoot with IM in the bottom barrel and use that all the way back to the 27 yard line. I shoot a full choke in the top barrel and use it in shoot offs or in high winds. I'm very happy with my O/E and I'm sure once you get used to yours, you'll be just as happy. I do have the XT unsingle in "transit" right now from GU, however I don't need it, I just want one because they look really cool!!

Regards, and CONGRATS on that new K gun!!

Frye

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ink ball, I know a goodly number of excellent shooters that use their O/U for singles, doubles, and handicap trap with quite good success. I probably had the best 10 years of scoring in trap with a Rem. 3200 used for all trap games, however, don't confuse me as one of the "excellant shooters" I spoke of above. One fellow that comes to mind in our neck of the forest is Daro Handy who can be seen shooting a Perazzi O/U when he's not using his highly tricked Rem. 1100 for all games...breakemall.....Bob Dodd.

4. shotgunsrus

shotgunsrus Member

We have a fellow here in Michigan that is pretty tuff to beat at "caps and he shoots a 682 from the fence and does more the his share of winning.Also dont forget that Frank Little used to shoota broadway from the fence and had his first 100 from the 27 with that gun and used to say he would have kept shooting it but he plumb wore it out.If it works thats all that matters.

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new target cruncher! If you shoot only ATA, you can set the top barrel with the comb and rib, and the bottom barrel with a hanger change. Use the Winston Method to verify Point-of-Impact. Each number change lower will raise the POI about 10%. Going to a larger number lowers the bottom barrel about the same. A pretty good system.

I like the bottom barrel to shoot a little higher than the top for Dubs. One can also shoot the higher barrel for Singles and Caps. I prefer a high POI for these birds and the first shot of Dubs, and a little flatter barrel for the second Doubles target. YMMV

There are advantages to the Unsingle at the back fence.

Take a little time, keep it clean and lubed, and you will be spoiled. Don't forget service. Krieghoff Intl' is the Gold Standard.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

My unsingle barrel has a few adjustments that my O/U barrels lack. But, if the O/U barrels shoot where you are looking, you don't need any additional adjustments.

Pat Ireland

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I've shot the majority of 100,000 plus reg. handicap using an O/U. While not a noted handicap shooter, I've been able to put a score or two together once in awhile. I have also used them extensively in turkey shoots. We regularly shot from 50 to 60 yards.

Now I ask you, why do you think it is necessary to use a single for handicap?

8. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

A shotgun, whether it be a pump, auto, O/U, Top or Un-single, side-by-side, is just a tool. If you are confident in your tool, and it fits you well, you will do well. If the Indian likes his arrow, he will make good use of it.

AndyH

9. Darryl101

Darryl101 TS Member

There is one disadvantage of using stacked barrels for everything.......if you are needing to shoot with a stiff cross-wind you will find why many folks shoot O/U guns for doubles only.

It is always comforting to know exactly how your O/U barrels shoot in the event your single barrel has a problem. It's all about confidence!

Darryl

10. chipking

chipking TS Member

Quite a few shooters I know use an O/U for everything and several of them are usually found in the winners column on a regular basis. I shoot a combo because the little voices in my head told me I had to have one. But to be honest my 32" 682 O/U was all I ever really needed.

--- Chip King ---

11. ink ball

ink ball Member

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I guess I was just in the habit of using single barrel guns for 16's and handicaps and had always felt that a single barrel was a more precise pointing device as opposed to the O/U. I've only shot my new O/U a few rounds, but it seemed like it was working quite well. Given that a top single or unsingle barrel for this gun would cost nearly $6000, its probably a safe bet that putting $6000 worth of reloads down the barrels will do more to enhance my abilities than what the trap single barrel would.

Frye - - I think you will really like the XT combo. It is a lot of gun for the money. Also, Guns Unlimited is a great place to do business. In fact, that is where my K80 came from! Living just 5 miles up the street from them is convenient...sometimes TOO conveneint :)

12. Frye

Frye TS Member

Hi Ink Ball!
    I spoke with GU today to get the tracking number for the gun, they didn't get it out in time Friday for me so it went out today. I'm excited to get it! I'm hoping to have it in this Friday, I'd like to fiddle around with it this weekend and maybe figure out how to set it up. I'm hearing that they take a little dialing in and fine tuning to get 'em just right. I'm sure glad I'm not that close to GU..I'd be bringing home alot more "arguments" than do right now! Best of luck to you with your new set up. It sounds like a great gun!
    Frye.

13. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

Keith Ditto of Kentucky does rather well with a O/U.

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As I said, there are advantages to an Unsingle at the back fence. I think the word "wind" was mentioned.

I am sure, if you decide to have one, you can find one here a lot cheaper than a new one.

If you have the Trap Special O/U, it has the adjusable rib. If not, you can set the top barrel with the comb, and the bottom barrel with a hanger change.

The shooter waiting on the XT will be pleased. After I shot and ordered an Unsingle Combo from GU, I sold my K-80 Combo. Brownings fit me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.