1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Using an IPOD while shooting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ronbo142, Sep 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I have noticed many of the younger shooters on the line with IPODs and custom ear sets. Anyone tried this, I have been told that this helps with focus and distractions.

Comments?

Ronbo

2. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

I use an iPod nano (the small, postage stamp sized version) with custome earplugs made by Dave Cates (Evansvillle, IN). I like to listen to music (Dave Matthews Band is what I have been listening to for the last 6 months). Does it help? I think so, but my singles scores sure don't show it. It definetely helps on the 27 yard line with the yappers that are so close. I like the iPod nano since it does not weigh really anything. As for the ear plugs, make sure you get some high quality ones that really block out the high decibel range. I used to use the higher end Shure noise canelling ones (the good ones will run $200-$400), but switched to Dave's and they are a little more comfortable. The plugs are actually designed to be monitors for musicians when they are playing on stage and they really block the noise very well -- and they are cheaper than the Shures. A couple of buddies of mine were using some of the cheaper custom made ones and they also report that they block the noise better and that the music sounds better through Dave's ear plugs.

I am carrying a 97.67 singles, 91.38 handicap and 97.16 doubles average this year.

John

3. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Della McClure from DeCott can do molded earplugs with ipod earbuds molded in, which is probably safest for your hearing.

I tried my iPhone earplugs a week ago, and it let way too much gun noise through.
    I took them out after about three shots.

The only way I've been able to make earbuds work is to use earphones over the earbuds, which I really disliked because they interfered with my stock. It didn't change my scores either way.

4. B682GX

B682GX TS Member

David McGee (Texas Earplugs 903 368 3025) installed earphones in the custom silicone earplugs I sent him & they work very well keeping the noise out & delivering my iPod's music directly to the ear canals. Music helps me concentrate on the targets.

5. bas

bas Member

A lot of the top shooters use them too.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I plug mine into my Pro Ears electronic muffs.

Works great.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.