1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Using an eye patch

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jolin, Jun 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jolin

Jolin TS Member

I shoot with two eyes, am right eye dominant and shoot from the right shoulder. It seems that I have developed a problem where my left eye
    goes to the gun barrel on right hand targets and misses occur.

Would a patch on my left shooting glass help to maintain vision of the bird
    with my right eye?

Any help would be appreciated. thanks

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I shoot right handed and supposedly my right eye is dominate but I understand your pain. Phil Kiner is our expert on crossfiring and he recommends doing what ever is necessary to control the problem. I have gotten by for the last 7 years with a Uni-Dot front bead, a rib blinder has the same purpose. In the near future I may have to use the tape patch on my left lens but I'm trying to hold off as long as possible. Look for a private message.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Sure it's a problem of your eye going to the gun, or are you stopping or hesitating the the gun when firing and it just seems like your eye is going to it? Have you asked someone with enough experience to coach to observe you on hard rights?

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Don't forget to have a parrot on your shoulder and say "Aharrr Matey!"

5. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

In usage of the Patch, you will think you have gone BLIND! But it has merit.

Sharing,

Gunnerx

6. Squeal

Squeal Member

I do the same thing but it is usually because I have pulled the gun a little bit from my face. On rights if i push my check into the stock to turn the gun the problem is much better.

7. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

First thing is to get an eye exam by someone like Frank Rively. Prescriptions can change and your left eye may have gotten relatively stronger when compared with the right one.
    Secondly, if you have multiple shades of lenses for your shooting glasses, use a darker shade of the same color in your left eye. That will allow your right eye to take over, but you can still see clearly and not lose depth perception.

8. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Argh!

Heard of a guy who uses chap stick on his glasses instead of tape or a patch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

wearing an eye patch when trap shooting