1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Using a Trigger Pull Gauge on a Release Trigger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kacharley, Nov 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kacharley

kacharley Member

I know how to check the set lbs. on a release trigger, but am not sure how to check the release settings. Is there a certain procedure?

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The gauge I use has 2 readings to take pull the trigger gauge until it sets, pulling slowly, after it sets the inner scale will stay there and slowly back off the gauge until hammer falls and not the reading, write them down and repeat the process to see if they remain the same several times.

Keep these readings in your gun case so you can refernce them at a later date to make sure they are still the same.

Personally I like 56oz set and 28 oz release, the release is usually 1/2 the set weight, and that is what I strive for.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

3. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

my seitz is 50 ounces to set the trigger and 22 ounces on the release. They call that a slow trigger and it must be "released" to go off. I tried a roller allem beretta today and it was 50 ounces set and 35 ounces release. Just think about letting go and it's off to the races. Too fast for me and I had a tough time with it. Some people like a really fast one and the higher the release pressure the faster it goes off. You need to try different ones to see what you like. The seitz is easily adjustable and some of the others must be set by a gunsmith. Motordoc

4. kacharley

kacharley Member

If I understand you correctly the higher the number on the release the quicker the release? So if I have a 2 lb. set, that is a slower or heavier release than a 3 lb. release?

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Personally, I like a loud click when I set the trigger and some creep (as Jimmy Ljutic would say). If they are to fast, as in the heat of a hard low left target from post one, or straight away from post 3, sometimes I let them go to quick----LOST. Try as slow trigger first and work you're way up to a faster one.

6. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

don't think you can have a 2 pound set. That is 24 ounces for set and i do not think it would work. look at my numbers and longshot numbers. they are pretty close to what you want. the higher the release pressure the faster the trigger. I think you need some creap unless you can handle that instant release--which i do not like

7. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

the speed of the release is determined by the difference between the set and the release. A 5# pound set and a 2# release is slower than a 5# set and a 3# release because there is a bigger weight difference between them.

Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.