1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Using 7/8 for reg. shoots?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chatbrat, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

I'm doing ok with with 7/8 in practice. Will be shooting a registered shoot this Sat.---the winds are expected to be 15 mph sw/ which should mean the birds will be flat and favoring the the right side--I planned on bring nothing but 1 oz of # 8's @ 1235, would you think my 7/8 of 81/2's @ 1300 would be better---thanx---Phil

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Phil, we don't know, but you soon will. Take both 7/8 and 1-oz. shells to the shoot, Start with the 7/8-ers. If you switch mid-event, will figure the lighters ones didn't work. If you don't, we'll conclude that they worked OK.

Neil

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've posted a few 100s at 16 yards with 7/8 oz of 9s at +/- 1220fps originally cooked up for skeet but they work well up close at singles, 1st shot of doubles, and close in sporties....Bob Dodd

4. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

If you're satisfied with the breaks/scores during practice then by all means try it in registered. Do whatever you are comfortable with.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

This situation calls for a compromise, load 205 grains of 8s with 205 grains of 8 1/2s, this will give you 15/16th ounce of shot and solve all your problems. HMB

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

When you miss - and you will - you will start to doubt the load.

"If I had more shot would a "golden BB" have given me a cheap (chip) break?"

And when that happens you will miss again, because you are not thinking about the shot/target.

If there is any doubt in your mind, the answer is obvious.

Don

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Both would work. If you mixed them up in your pocket you might not even know which load you shot as the target turns to dust. But, there is the mental part of trap shooting. If you have more confidence in one load, you will shoot a better score with that load. The difference is in you, not in the loads.

Pat Ireland

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I like my new 7/8oz loads but will take advantage of the 1 1/8 max rule

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I use them all the time with 8.5's on the 16 only.

10. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

After a year or so I'm back shooting 7/8 oz loads. Plan on using them for registered singles this spring and summer.

What I've learned since returning to 7/8 oz loads.... go with size 7 1/2 shot. A fuller pattern doesn't make up for a lack of energy or a poorly made shot.

And, it doesn't matter if they are loaded to 1200 fps or 1350 fps, a centered shot will smoke ball, a sloppy shot will be a chip or miss.

Choke the same as you would with a heavy shot charge (IM, LF, or Full)

~Michael

11. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

One hundred fps means nothing. It takes shot to break targets.
    If you want to save money, take up canasta.

12. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

At the recent Tucson winter chain. I was on a 3 man squad 30 in singles and all 3 ran the 100 singles and I was the only one who was shooting 7/8 oz . So in singles I can't see not using the lighter load. I also use it in the 1st shot in doubles. MHO
    Bob Roberts

13. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Phil,

If you're at DCWC for the ATA shoot Sat, look me up. The shoot guys will know me.

Danny Marbell, Jr.

14. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

first 100 straight I shot came with the 7/8oz load.

The mistakes I make are why I don't have more 100's out there, the shells are fine!

Al

15. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Sir Wad, mine are currently STS hull, Win 12L wad or it's clones, 17 grains of Clays, Win. 209 primer. I've also used the Fed. 12 SO wad or clone at a previous time, I've made many more of them with 16.5 gr. of 700X than with the Clays, I've used Cheddites interchangeably, and, in the past, I've used the old style AA hull. They've all been from bags marked #9s but I'd wager there's a little mixing of other pellets from my source which remanufactures recovered shot.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

16. washandwear

washandwear Member

My 7/8 oz load - these loads are capable of breaking more targets than I!

AA 12ga Hull
    Fed 209A Primer
    Red Dot 16.7 +/- .3 grs 1225fps
    Winchester Pink 1 oz wad
    7/8 oz magnum 8s

Use it for all events including hdcp @ 25yds

Wouldn't change a thing.... except consistently keeping
    the head on the stock and the eye on the rock.

17. Smiley

Smiley Member

ISSF bunker trap has a regulation 7/8 oz only (1350 fps),these targets leave at 59mph and shooters still hit them hard with the second shot(full choke)Most good shooters dont shoot these targets fast as you have to see the trackline to be able to follow them so second shot would probably be at 50yds.

18. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Shot 7.5 or 8s.Hull STS, Wad TGT12 rem and downrangemfg replacement. Clays 18g, win 209 primer<whats avalible at this time locally. I like to use Rem209s when I can find them. For verysoft 1oz shots I drop the powder down to 15.5grains....nice to shoot both of them.

19. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

I use the same 7/8 oz. load for both trap and skeet, and wouldn't bother shooting heavier. STS hull, Win 209, 18.8 Clays, B&P T2 wad, 7.8 oz. #8. Not cheap to load (the wad gets pricey) but I have utter confidence in it, which matters a lot.

Tony

20. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Shot my 7/8 in practice smoked the targets, well when it came to shoot went to my 1 oz targets with 18.2 load of clays, could have done better if I stood with my 7/8 oz loads---the combination of a lousy night's sleep( stayed at a local Days Inn, worst lumpy mattress I ever tried to sleep) & getting pounded by a heavier load didn't help--will stay with my lighter loads next shoot---Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.