1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

User friendly Reloaders

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shot410ga, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Because of the thread "PW problems," I though I would post a thread rating reloaders. So, here goes:

1. Spolar, top of the line, but also top of the price heap. Is it any better than some of the lower cost units?

2. Dillon, Almost as costly as the Spolar, high quality, free parts for life, so fast you run out of componets to quickly. Needs larger primer, powder and shell containers.

3. DL-366, great value, quality machine, been around a long time. Needs some upgrades.

4. Mec-9000, low-in cost, good value. Lots of shake rattle and role, bad shot container system. Many of the parts break or wear out to quickly.

5. RCBS, Middle of the road pricing, sits low on the bench, without a base. New to market. Word is not yet out on this machine as to its shortfalls or benefits.

6. PW, upper middle of the road pricing, heavy duty machine, looks like an engineering marvel, but takes time to dial in. One either loves them or hates them.

These are my observations. Please feel free to make other observations. We can all learn.

Regards, Jim

2. harleypilot

harleypilot Member

I have a PW, and have loaded many thousands of rounds on it. The first two months I had it, however, I almost took an axe to it many times. Once you get used to them they are great.

I hadn't heard of a Spolar until I started visiting this website, and they sound like really great reloaders.

Had a Mec grabber many years ago, and it worked very well.

Jim

3. Markcp

Markcp TS Member

For my situation, the MEC 9000, I may even have some money left over to shoot with. With only 4000-6000 loads a year, it serves my purposes well.

4. PNT

PNT Member

PW top of the line. (800C, hydraulics, shell feeder)

Worst experience/problems MEC 9000 20 gauge.

I've loaded with everything from Herter's to PW.

5. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I like Rick's summation. Your own comments on each loader will be biased by your own needs and wants, the same as mine would be. Look at trapshooters' guns. Some shooters are driven by price, due to their income and milder committment to trap, others are driven by performance, no matter their income, due to their committment. Some seek perfection, others compromise price & performance. Your rating of the Spolar is price-driven. Someone else would say "heck, the best for only a couple grand? That's for me." Maybe no right answer for everyone? The answer for me is the MEC 9000-H. But that's just me, & price enters in. Phil E

6. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

My 9000G does what I need at a price I’m comfortable with. I’m not rich, nor am I destitute, so the balance comes in finding the best value for my money. That is how I settled on a Mec. I marvel at the engineering and construction of the PWs and Spolars but cannot (at this time), justify the difference in dollars. I have very few problems with the 9000 but when I do, the folks in Mayville are quick to assist in the resolution. I will admit to enjoying tinkering with things, and have done so enough with the 9000 to consistently produce 15 to 18 thousand top quality shells per year with very few issues. An Auto-mate will probably be my next shooting toy!

A friend of mine loads a box or two each evening on the living room coffee table using a 29 dollar Lee Load-All mounted to a cookie sheet. He out shoots nearly everyone in our local club; has been for years and no one can recall a single squib.

Enjoy the re-loader you have and don’t worry about what others have or what they think you should spend. Any thing that can safely and consistently produce shells will do the job.

Shoot more. Shoot often. Shoot more often!

7. flyfish

flyfish Member

I've had a MEC 9000, an RCBS Grand American, PW Platinum 2000, and a Spolar. For the money, hands down, the Spolar is the best available. I agree with an earlier thread regarding the PW - there were many times I wanted to take an ax to it - it spit shot and powder - and we didn't get along. The RCBS is a nice press but I didn't care for how it mounts and the low handle pull. I have buddies who have the RCBS and love it - it just wasn't for me. For the money,
    take a look at the MEC 9000 with an Auto Mate. It isn't a Spolar, but it's relatively easy to adjust and operate.

8. itsnotyou

itsnotyou Member

I have owned almost every model of MEC, a couple of PW 375 Duo Matics, and a Spolar.

Spolar is by far the easiest to use, if you shoot sub gauges, the gauge change takes less than 5 min. and you will not have to make any adjustments. It's nice only having one loader on the bench frees up a lot of bench space.

Plus Dicksie and Carter are only a phone call away if you have any questions and they are never too busy to take time to help you.

Jack

9. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

I have 10 years and many many thousands of shells through a MEC and I consider the machine to be trouble free. Of course, I only load good hulls (almost all STS these days), use a powder baffle, and am careful.

I have a PW that is perfect for loading the sub-gauges (28s and 410s). Nothing bad to say about PW, and they certainly size better than a MEC. The shells cannot wiggle as they go around.

Dillon - have two of them, but for metallic cartridges - not shotshells. The Blue Press always has nice pictures though

i never could talk myself into the money for a Spolar. But as pointed out by many, just my little opinion.

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

One primary advantage of reloaders that have full case head support is the nearly complete reduction of shell buckling!!

11. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I have had Mec 600, 650 and the 9000G. All are great loaders when starting out. I then got a bug up my rear and bought a PW 2000. That was a mistake. I'm a person who is good with his hands and can work on things. That loader must have been a bad one out of the bunch but I had enough of it and sold it. It could not put a wad in straight. I even sent it back to the factory and it still did it. On top of that they wanted to charge me full shipping. This loader did not have 5000 rounds through it. I went back to my trusty 9000G and it works great for far less the PW.

12. J.P.

J.P. TS Member

Spolar and be done with it. I don`t like the aggravation of the other reloaders.

13. shot410ga

Intersting comments. For those of you considering a new reloader it may be worth considering some or all of these views. No one has really disagreeded with what I suggested in the first place. Which is amazing in itself. Well done guys!!!

14. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

shot410ga,

I think you nailed it, except the P/W pretty much will turn out a perfect AA (even the new AA's) right out of the box. I had to tune my 800+ due to adding Shell Feeder, and various power units. I just put a Spolar hydraulic on it, and could not be happier with it. I made the command decision to ditch the AA's and go with gold and green hulls, and that took just a bit of tweaking, but once done, it is terrific.

Regardless of which unit you go with, it takes some time to understand and operate the machine successfully. Machine is the key word, and they just do what they are told and know. I am still learning my P/W, but know enough about it to be dangerous now. Each and every mess up is no doubt operater error thus far.

15. shot410ga

shootem: Why has Mec sold so many loaders? Easy answer; price for value. Just like moving up from a 870 through the various grads of guns until one ends up with a P-gun, L-gun, or one of the other high end guns. That is what happened to me. Starting with a Mec JR. Serious shooters (reloaders) will gravitate to the high end if they can afford it. Let's face it Mec-vs-Spolar is apples and oranges.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.