1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

useing wheel wieghts for shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JRD, Apr 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRD

JRD TS Member

Go read the thread titled lead for $3.00 a bag. It tells you all about it. You just melt the lead down off the clips, than pour into ingots.

2. JRD

JRD TS Member

Go read the thread titled lead for $3.00 a bag. It tells you all about it. You just melt the lead down off the clips, than pour into ingots.

3. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Soft $0.29 $0.29
    Wheel WTS $0.19 $0.19
    http://www.recycleinme.com/scrap_prices/scrap_metal_prices.aspx

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

When you melt them down, the steel clips will float to the top, just skim them off!

5. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

First go and do a search on Littleton shotmaker, wheel weights, shot making. They all say use propane. They all have turkey broiler that you use outside. Get a cast iron pot or skillet. You will also need a cast iron muffin pan. A cast iron lable is worth the money. Go to flea market and or antique malls you will find the skillet and maybe the turkey broiler. You will also need stainless steel large spoons. One spoon that I just don't know the name of has holes in it. I use that to when melting the lead to get the old clips out of the lead and put in a metal bucket. The other spoons I use to get the trash off the top of the lead. That is very important so not to have trash plug up your drippers. Get some bee's wax and cut the wax in to cubes and put it on the lead and let it melt. That will leave a film for you to scrap the trash off the lead. You can then make your ingots. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES. GET GOOD ONES AND OR A GOOD FACE SHIELD. NO IF ANDS OR BUTS ABOUT IT. VERY IMPORTANT. WELDING GLOVES ALSO GOOD ONES NOT CHEAP ONES. DO ALL MELTING OUTSIDE AND STAND UPWIND ONLY. You want to make sure there is NO WATER ON THE WHEEL WEIGHTS. If you have wet lead and it goes in to melted lead it will and I mean it will pop on you and you do not want that to happen. It will burn the hell out of you. You will want to wear old cloths because you will get lead to stick on them. Sometimes you will get the lead off them and sometimes you will not.

6. scott k

scott k TS Member

harder then magnum.

7. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

Mclellan1911: Sounds like you have gotten all good advice on how to melt your lead. Make sure your lead ingots weigh approximately 1 1/2lbs to 1 3/4 lbs when they come out of your muffin pans. When you are ready to look at shotmakers give great consideration to the Better Shotmaker made by Jim Stewart. If you want more information you can call Mr. Stewart at :256-587-0107 or go to http://www.geocities.com/jstewart1934/My_page.html (make sure you type URL exactly as typed here or it won't come up).
    Ellen

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Wheel weight shot may be harder than necessary for performance. If you have soft lead available at reasonable prices you may want to mix it in.

HM

9. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I have a large magnet with a wire on it to pluck the clips from the molten lead. Use a gloved hand to swipe the clips from the magnet then use the spoon to get the rest of the dross from the pot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.