1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Useful HDTV antenna selector website

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Terrestrial Digital | Antenna Recommendations<br>
    Click this website to read how this works.<br>
    <br>
    Enter your Address<br>
    Click this website to enter your address or zip code. (They ask for personal info, but you can enter either a zip code or just an address.)<br>
    <br>
    Follow the instructions. A chart will come up with the transmitters in your area, and what antenna type is needed for reception at your location. Click on the antenna type for more details. Since everything is going HDTV, it's easier to limit the results to HDTV only by clicking Digital Only.

2. RLC323

RLC323 Member

A handy tool for taking a look at the local channels that will be available in your area after the Feb 17 changeover to all digital. Currently I can get 8 local analog channels from the antenna in my rural area, after the switch I will be getting 3 and no CBS at all. The prediction on the website for 3 digital local channnels is exactly what I get when I switch on the digital converter box I now have.

I predict a LOT of angry people come Feb 17, 09.

3. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

RLC323, when I installed the digital tuner boxes my reception went from 11 to 24.

Brian, I may be wrong, but I believe the changeover in Feb. is to DTV vs. HDTV and most any antenna will work. I have a box on a outside disk (not dish) and one on inside rabbit ears. They both work fine.

Buz

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Buz, I can tell you rabbit will not work here.<br>
    <br>
    And DTV/HDTV is basically the same thing. One is the transmission, the other the format. Our local stations here are referring to it as HDTV.

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Guess it doesn't work for me. Apparently because I cannot get any signal now, I won't get one later.

6. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Currently I have a booster and rotor equipped outside antenna with separate UHF and VHF that I use for the "locals", and like I said get 8 stations in various degrees of picture quality.

The nearest CBS affiliate (Quincy) is 76 miles away which puts me beyond the range of their digital signal, actually that station is the most relied upon in the area for local news. I lose all the Peoria stations in digital as well.

I spoke with Direct TV (had them since it was Primestar) and they told me I could get the national network affiliates for a few dollars a month. The advantage is you get both an east and west coast feed. I believe come Feb 17 I will take down that ugly antenna and give up on the locals and their annoying advertising.

7. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Prior to the push to digital, I could get solid copy on three stations from Erie, PA, three from Youngstown, OH and a couple of others. Two of the Erie stations are owned by the same company. They combined the NBC and CBS as two of the three available on their digital signal. The third is the CW net. I could not get the Fox or PBS (where years ago I worked as the Chief Transmitter Engineer!). Now the digital Fox channel comes in but PBS, which claimed to be the first on the air with Digital in Erie, isn't even found.

The other thing I noticed was that the Erie stations that went digital seem to have either gone lower power on the analog transmitter or shifted to a lower elevation and/or lower ERP antenna since now their analog signal, even the VHF channel, is not usable a lot of the time.

With the digital signals, all of them, two channels (two sub-channels each) from Youngstown and the two Erie channels (three subs and one), the signal is a come and go where it drops out and gives the pixelated or frozen signal. In either case it is very annoying!

The other thing I noticed is that it seems no one is paying any attention to audio levels. One station will barely be audible and the next will blow the speakers right off the shelf! When I was in charge of the transmitters at Erie's PBS, we ALWAYS had to monitor not only the video but the audio signals for consistent level controls. Apparently when the FCC decided that First Class phone licenses were not needed to operate a transmitter, they also decided that many technical specifications no longer had to be met.

Overall, unless the digital signals improve, I figure the TV viewing in our house will become a thing of the past. A lot of what is being broadcast now seems to be a waste of bandwidth anyway.

One other thing to consider is that the transition to digital COULD allow four sub-channels of what is now the same signal quality of present day analog OR two channels of improved BUT NOT high definition signals (or one medium and two standard definition signals) or ONLY ONE High Definition signal. It might also be possible for a station to use its assigned bandwidth to provide some other signal not available to the general viewing public on a contract basis.

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

RLC323,

What's need to get Direct TV to give you east-west affiliates? That would be nice. I cannot get anything local here in northern MN. I'm over 100 miles from the Twin Cities and Duluth. I currently am receiveing the Twin Cities' local stations, but what do I really care about the shootings, stabbings, and the local traffic.

Is it possible to get the locals AND the west-east coast feeds?

Doug

9. kolar12

kolar12 Member

Anyone have personal experience with a 33 mile antenna? I could put the antenna in the attic for more signal strength and to get it off of the tv. Any input appreciated. Also, do you use inline powered amps with them?

10. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Gun Dr. As I understand it if you are too far away to recieve local channels on a regular antenna Direct TV will allow you get the network feeds from the satellite. I know that some subscribers get "their own local" stations from the dish as well but it takes different equipment and is not available in my rural area.

Call them up to get the facts. When I called I actually got a young lady who spoke english and knew exactly what to do, she had the channels on in about 5 minutes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.