1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

used wad users; any safety issues?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, Aug 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

I heard some stories of people who did that and a gun blow up but it is 4th hand or more.

How many people do you know that do it, and do I have to think about safety when standing next to the known used wad users?

I know the usual issues, sunk crimps etc

thanks

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Honestly wads are the cheapest parts of a shell. At less than 2 cents a piece, why reuse them? Even if you did, i fail to see how it could cause a gun to blow up.

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

You're setting yourself up for failure or worse. The possibility of detonation may exist by poor wad seating on the powder charge. Expect bloopers or odd sounding shells-that is your best case scenario!!

4. Greg LV

Greg LV Member

In the early 70's one of the guys who shot in our trap league, who was exteramily frugal (cheep) picked up a bushel basket of AA wads. Wanting to make sure they were clean before he reloaded them. He waited until his wife was out and washed them in her new Maytag washing machine. When the cycle was finished he put them in her new Maytag dryer. Fearing that she would return home early he set the dryer on high and went upstares to have a coffee while the now clean but used wads dryed. When he finished his coffee he went back to the basement to start reloading. To his dismay the wads were melted into a single lump.

So if you decide to wash and dry the wads before you reload them make sure the dryer is set on the delicate cycle.

You just can't make this stuff up.

5. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

On a somewhat related note, a friend has told me that if the pedals of your new wads are slightly compressed and difficult to load, to put a bunch of them in a laundry bag and very gently warm them in the dryer for a short time. He claims that they will return to their open position.
    The wads I buy are OK so I have never tried it.
    dju

6. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

Really?? used wads. Something sounds funky here.

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

The only danger that I see is if you are trying to pick them up while the field is still in use. Stay low.

8. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Considering the pressure and heat a wad withstands when the shell is fired.. I find it hard to believe that a dryer would melt them into a lump. But then I'm still amazed at what happens when 2 single cells get together in a womans body...

9. jhoward

jhoward Member

My father shot used wads for many years and never had issues. Only rarely had bloopers or even any odd sounding shots. Of course we inspected all of the wads before using them and discarded any that were damaged.

We never washed them in a machine, just put them in a clean garabage can, filled it up with water, stirred them around some and let them soak overnight, stirred some more. Dumped them out and let them dry in the sun for an afternoon.

Early spring is the best time to get wads if your club shoots through the winter. In the summer the lawn mowers destroy so many that it's not worth the time to pick them up.

10. oleolliedawg

One of our very frugal shooters was noted for his wad salvaging ability. He also was noted for his often odd sounding shells. We assumed his defective shells were because of inconsistent seating of his used wads on powder charges. I don't think he really cared if the wad was appropriate for that particular shell.

Anyway, I was present when his BT-99 disintegrated in his hands resulting in an injury to his forehead. Since he also was too cheap to buy a pair of shooting glasses, he was even luckier. His reload combination along with loose, protruding primers and poorly seated wads may have contributed to an elusive phenomenon known as detonation. As usual, in most of these cases, the actual cause will never be known!!

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Dawg--Sounds like a good episode for Spike TV's show "1,000 Ways to die". Maybe they could call that one "All Wadded up". LOL

You have to know the show to get.

12. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I looked at a BT 99 years ago that had streaks down the barrel. They were polished like the rest of the barrel but very distinct.

Previous owner shot used wads for many years, probably not too clean either.

Beware.

Regards.....Gerald

13. Champion II

Champion II Active Member

Greg,1. Your friend Had a dryer that would also burn or melt his cloths if it really happened. 2. He lied to you. 3 He never did it. Lot of windbags on here.Think about it.... you put a cotton shirt in there... xxl would come out x-small or burn up. Some people are brain dead then you have these same goofs reloading and shooting next to you.

14. oletymer

oletymer Member

A few people use used condoms also. Neither is a good idea.

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Is it ok if you wash the condoms by hand?

HM

16. willing

willing Member

My Spolar loads them fine. My K-80 doesn't mind either. Makes it easier fot the payments.

Bill

17. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Man ...where do you get enough used condoms to load flat of shells? Do they work as well in both AA's and STS?

Gives a new meaning to the term "used wad."

18. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Hey guys, that sounds right up there with putting used oil in your car's motor. I can't believe anyone would pick up used wads out of the dirt and target residue and shoot them through even the cheapest shotgun. He can't be serious???

Larry

19. oleolliedawg

Same shooters shoot a $15,000 gun and search for the cheapest reclaimed shot available-rocks, corrosion and all!!

20. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

And when something goes wrong, they blame the gun.

Phil Berkowitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.