1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Used Primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RichBandit, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichBandit

RichBandit TS Member

Does anyone have anything special that they do with the old used primers when reloading? I have been throwing them out and just thought that there was maybe something else that could be done with them.

Rich

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You have been doing WHAT with them? Throwing them away?????? Are you nuts?? Mec makes a primer reloader. You didn't know that??

Yeah toss 'em.................................................................................................................LOL

I have buckets of them. Just worried someone will come up with a special need and i will have tossed millions of them. Never happen.................

3. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I put them in an empty shot bag and use it for a sand bag while sighting in my rifles.Better than nothing!PJ

4. kd185

kd185 Member

take them to the scrap yard

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Environmentally, that's a great suggestion. Financially, not so much. Primers are mostly steel and worth 15 cents a pound in a strong metals market, eight cents a pound in soft markets.

Ed

6. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Throw them under your tires if you get stuck in the snow. LOL

7. TC

TC TS Member

Empty primer is about the same size as a "bean" when using 1&1/8 oz wads with 7/8 oz of shot.

8. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Load em up and shoot em! LOL.

9. gunfighter001

gunfighter001 Member

Where do I get the primer reloader and can you use the same one for rfle and shot gun?

10. grntitan

"Where do I get the primer reloader and can you use the same one for rfle and shot gun?"

No you gotta buy the seperate dies. Just like the gauge changes. The hard part is finding the primer components. They are always on backorder.

11. psfive

psfive Member

What kind powder do you use in a primer? And how much? Paul in Nebraska.

12. oz

oz Active Member

there's NO powder in a primer. oz

13. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

No powder,just fulminate of mercury......Oh,thats right they don't use that anymore.....lead styphinate.............ALWAYS on backorder......Damn!!

D.P.Reynolds

14. rtclark21

rtclark21 Member

In all honesty, the scrap value of steel isn't that much, but when I took over 300# of spent primers to the scrap yard, I got just over $40. Not a bad turnaround for items that could be thrown away.

15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Way back in the old days when shotgun primers were $10/1000 and rifle primers were $5/1000 ... Herters sold a tool to reload the shotgun primers with rifle primers.

Not really a big saving ... but was more of a something to do during the winter months to avoid cabin fever.

16. dhip

dhip Active Member

Interesting,I even called our landfill people and asked about recycling used shells(of course ones past reloading ability),plenty of plastic and steel,brass, there,was told they had nothing to confirm it was worth doing.

Doug H.

17. grntitan

The local recycling yard around here took (2) five gallon buckets full of spent primers from me as scrap steel. I don't recall the weight or even price/pound as it was along with my copper, Aluminum etc. Is it worth it? If your recycling already it adds something to your pocket. If you just toss 'em in the garbage, you pay them to take 'em. Thats the way i look at it.I pitch no metal. It ALL has value.

18. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I have saved all of mine since 1965. For what I really don't know.

19. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

They just look like something that should be saved---For what?---George

20. grntitan

Do you guys think maybe there is a little bit of hoarding that goes along with this sport? I mean i can't stand to see a good hull thrown away. I save primers and hell sometimes the damn box they came in. I don't know how many empty plastic Green Dot 4lb. and 8lb. jugs i have stashed in the garage. Empty shell flat boxes are another. Sound familiar? Be honest!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.