1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Used price of a Glock 17?

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by Shooting Jack, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

0   0   0

I ran across a 17 in new condition with two magazines and ez loader and could probably pick it up for $225.00. Is this a good deal as I might want to resale it later but wanted to shoot it and see how it compares with my S&W 5903, Ruger P89 and Sig 226. I'm not very good with a pistol but have learned that for some reason I can shoot certain ones better. Like my Browning Buckmart Camper special, it is just so easy to shoot accurately. Jackie B.
  2. shippingdave@juno.com

shippingdave@juno.com Member

0   0   0

its a very good deal if the condition is as stated. put in a 3.5 lb trigger and it makes a pretty good target gun. good luck
  3. Shooting Jack

0   0   0

I forgot that it has fixed night sights. Where is the best place to get the trigger? Thanks for your input. I had an old blue book with me but have learned that it give you an idea but nothing to bank on. Jackie B.
  4. james25889

james25889 Member

0   0   0

Buy it, you can get the connector and a spring kit from brownells
  5. glenns

glenns Member

0   0   0

A G17 for $225 in new condition - that is a steal. They sell for $499 brand new. They sell police trade in G22's for $319 to 349.

That price sounds too good to be true. I would check out the condition of the gun carefully.
  6. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

0   0   0

You didn't say what generation it was? It goes from being an OK to good deal on a first or second generation to a great deal on a newer one.
  7. Shooting Jack

0   0   0

Benniesdad, How do I tell what generation it is. Jackie B.
  8. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

0   0   0

Gen 1 - basic Glock

Gen 2 - introduced checkering on the front strap and serrations on the back strap; also to meet regulations at the time a steel plate was stamped with the serial number into the frame in front of the trigger guard. There were a few improvements in 1991 as well: the magazine floorplate was modified and the spring had a resistance plate added. I believe they also introduced the integral recoil spring assembly at this time as well.

Gen 3 - has finger grooves, an accessory rail, thumb rests on both sides of the frame. Later a new extractor that served as a loaded chamber indicator was added. The locking block was also modified.

Gen 4 - has a user replaceable back strap to change the grip's size; the basic (no extra panel installed) is smaller than the Gen 3. There's a new mag release button design that is easier to hit, and you can reverse it for left handed use. If you reverse the mag release you need to make sure you have the new magazines with the cut out on both sides. The old magazines work fine in the Gen 4 gun when the mag release is installed for a right handed shooter. The recoil spring is new as well. It's a dual recoil spring assembly. Supposed to help recoil on .40sw models. Various parts had to be modified to accommodate the new spring.

Taken from a Glock carry website.

Tell you what, Jackie. Buy the gun. If you don't like it, I'll buy it from you for what you paid.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL
  9. Shooting Jack

0   0   0

Its a gen 2. Serrations on front and back of grip but no rail. Thanks for the help. Jackie B.
  10. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

At $225 new condition, you don't ask generations, you buy it if you shoot pistol at all.

If it turn out to be a 4th generation, consider it's a bonus. I'd buy a beat up one for $225.
  11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I bought one of the Milwaukee PD trade-in Glock 22's in very good condition a few months back for almost this same price. I would do again in a heartbeat. Say what you want about Glocks but its a damn good pistol for that price. "Steve W" above made a very good point. Mine is a Generation 2 and i could care less if it were a Gen 1. Buy it because you can easily get that out of it if you don't like it. Post here and i'm sure someone would take it off your hands. It was my first Glock and won't be my last. I've got my eyes on a G17 myself now.
  12. RickN

RickN Active Member

0   0   0

Buddy of mine just bought a pair of Glocks with several mags. A couple of the magazines say "Law enforcement only" or something like that. He had to do a little work on them to make them work in his gun. He had to cut a little "window" on the front of the mag.

Anyone know what's up with that?
  13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

0   0   0

RickN--I have several of those mags for my Glock22. I did not have any issues what so ever. Makes me think there is another problem with either his gun or the mags. I have always found that my gun magazines work better with one less round than its max.
    [​IMG]
  14. RickN

RickN Active Member

0   0   0

Matt, I'm going to ask this guy again about them. He said the ones marked LE/Gov't wouldn't lock into his gun. I wonder why they marked some that way?
  15. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa TS Member

0   0   0

Those LE only mags were made during the 10 round mag limit (for civilians).

They are perfectly legal to own now (unless you are in New York, or other state that restricts mag capacity.

They should function no differently than a regular Glock mag.
  16. wolfram

wolfram Active Member

0   0   0

$255 for a M17 Glock is a steal and with that thought in mind make sure it isn't hot.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.