1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

USED PLASTIC WADS

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ARTIPTON, Oct 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ARTIPTON

ARTIPTON TS Member

What can be done with used plastic wads. Is there some place to recycle them? Art Tipton T.S.C.

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Men are from Mars? You also just put 1 to 1.12 oz of LEAD out there! If your that GREEN why are you here? Or why are you shooting! :)

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Dan used to go out and pick them up, shot 'em again. (He only used certain kinds).

No, really, I caught him one day when I brought the dog out to swim. there he was with a 5 gallon pail picking up wads.

We filled a dumpster once with them and sent them off to the landfill.

HM

4. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Bill, if your club is EPA certified (which it shoud be) you have to pick them up off the field according to their regulations. The lead is fine and can be reclaimed at a profit to the club. It's a real pain to fill out the forms but it's well worth it to your club to be certified. Bernie

5. 3357

3357 Member

If you need to ask you are involved in the wrong sport.................

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

UV pretty much destroys the linear molecular construction of polyethylene wads. They shouldn't be reused unless harvested within a couple of days or they'll be too brittle and perform outside their specifications.

They can be recycled for some lesser application but never again for wads or any other high density polyethylene application. As cheap as wads are, why take the chance of ruining your shooting day?

7. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

Why take a chance of wrecking your barrel with scotchbrite. Now you can keep your barrel clean with the dirt imbedded in the used wads. No more wingeing about how to clean plastic out of choke tubes and the little dimples inside the wad petals hold the shot together for better patterns. I promise!

8. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

Yep, shot a lot of red versalites that layed on the ground for a a while. 97's, 100'and upper 90's were not uncommon, I was 14 years old and did not have much to work with, especially that 12.00 a bag shot broke my bank,every little bit helped.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

In the 1970's I remember a guy picking up used wads. He ran them in the wifes dryer for while and claimed the heat restored their original form. I don't recall what brand he was picking up. He was also the first guy I can recall the made their own shot. He used an original Littleton. The guy was cheap.

10. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

When I was in High School and College we used a leaf sweeper to pick up wads at the clubs where I worked as trap help/puller. I would pick out the AA's and run them through the gentle wash cycle in my mom's washer (no, she did not know...) and then in the dryer for a few minutes. Done in a nylon mesh bag of course. I shot thousands of these and rarely had any misfires or bloopers. Kept me shooting when money was tight and my time was not!

Bob Schultz

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Come on guys, it seems clear to me he's looking for a way to dispose of the wads on the ground to improve the area. "Recycle" seems to be clear to me. Then again, I've been wrong a couple of times....breakemall

12. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

Lest anyone take my post seriously... I was kidding!

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I have some used primers for sale.

14. FlyerTom

FlyerTom Member

Back in the '70s, our local family-run trap range, White Pine in Orange, PA, used to sell the used wads his kids picked up for $2.00 for a clay target box full. They were OK for practice, but I used to get too many 'leakers' because the crimp folded in too far. I used up one box of them and went back to 'real' ones.

15. Reinz

Reinz Member

Why not just use Downrange biodegradable wads? That way, there's no clean up to worry about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.