1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Used Jeep?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ntgr8, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

My Grandson is looking for a different vehicle. He is thinking Jeep Wrangler or Cherokee about an 04 or 05 model. I have never owned one so I can't be of much help. Seems as I've heard that they can be high maint. Any input on your experience would be helpful. He is also thinking Ford Explorer and Chev Blazer about the same year.

2. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

I have a 2005 jeep liberty with 6 cyl engine. Bought it with 9000 miles. No problem with it yet. Now has 50k on it. Has a 7 year 70,000 mile warranty. Will probably buy another one.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have owned a Jeep Cherokee continuously since 1987 my current one is a 99. 2001 was the last production year for the regular Cherokee not the larger Grand Cherokee. There is almost a cult of Cherokee owners and resell value is quite good.

4. Cooperdisciple

Cooperdisciple TS Member

Just Empty Every Pocket.
    Unless you're an off road enthusiast, I would go another route.
    Repair and maintenance can be expensive. And IMHO, reliability is dicey as well.

5. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

My Grandson is looking for a different vehicle. He is thinking Jeep Wrangler or Cherokee about an 04 or 05 model. I have never owned one so I can't be of much help. Seems as I've heard that they can be high maint. Any input on your experience would be helpful. He is also thinking Ford Explorer and Chev Blazer about the same year.

6. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

I have a 2005 jeep liberty with 6 cyl engine. Bought it with 9000 miles. No problem with it yet. Now has 50k on it. Has a 7 year 70,000 mile warranty. Will probably buy another one.

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have owned a Jeep Cherokee continuously since 1987 my current one is a 99. 2001 was the last production year for the regular Cherokee not the larger Grand Cherokee. There is almost a cult of Cherokee owners and resell value is quite good.

8. Cooperdisciple

Cooperdisciple TS Member

Just Empty Every Pocket.
    Unless you're an off road enthusiast, I would go another route.
    Repair and maintenance can be expensive. And IMHO, reliability is dicey as well.

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

How mechanically inclined is he?

Does fuel mileage matter?

Does he really need a 4-wheel drive?

I think there are better choices for a young person who is also looking at high insurance premiums.

Don Verna

PS My 1994 Grand Cherokee went 235,000 miles - but not trouble free. Three transfer cases - and they are not cheap. I now drive a 2008 two wheel drive Tahoe in Michigan and have not missed four wheel drive at all.

10. charlie01

charlie01 TS Member

Ive owned 3 Jeep Grand Cherokee's Limited's over the last few years. My wife says she will not drive anything else. I have never owned anything that gets through the snow like our Cherokee's. It takes off like a rocket in the snow. Everybody that ride,s in it always coments on how nice it rides. Our current one has the Hemi engine in it as we bought it not for gas mileage but for what it could do. It was rated at only one less mpg under what their standard V8 was rated for anyway. My daughter drive.s a 2006 Liberty and it has never been in the shop. She also like,s the way it drive,s in the snow as we live in Indiana. I think as long as the price is right on the Jeep,s your looking at you will be sastisfied.

11. Bentley998

Bentley998 Member

we currently own a '96 Cherokee 2WD - now has about 230,000 miles and going strong - I expect it to be driven by my #2 son from Atlanta to here +- 450 miles this weekend

The in-shop maintenance which has been required is when an oil filter was dropped across some electrical terminals in the course of an at home oil change which ruined the electronic control module, We replaced the throw-out bearing and clutch at about 180,000 miles, but at this point I expected that

Overall the Cherokee has been one of the most maintenance-free vehicles that I have owned over a period of more than 50 years

we also have a Toyoda Tacoma 4WD with 165000 miles and is going strong at this point with very little maintenance beyond oil changes

12. Erik W

Erik W Member

If he "needs" a 4x4 the Toyota 4Runners of that period are better choices in all respects.

13. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I can,t think of anything more worthless then a used Wrangler

14. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Have had two cherokees....biggest problems have been with sealing..one kept me mopping out the back seat wells as it leaked everytime it rained. The other, kept me without radio or some instruments as the windshield leaked also.

That said, they went when I wanted to go, the four wheel drive was fine, and the economy was equal to others in the class.

I'd have another if they made a truck that would haul like my Silverado.

Solid mechanics...poor trim/electronics.

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Drive a 2004 Explorer 4x4 with 110K. Only issue has been the door ajar swich built into the drivers' door lock assembly... otherwise quite happy. Put 200K on my '97.

regards,

jay

16. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Ntgr8: yOu could always spend 4 years and $30K building him one that would last.

Jeep Scrambler: Built from scratch, custom frame, complete fiberglass body, 4BT Cummins, TH400, US Gear OD, Atlas 4.3, HP D44 ARB Front, HP D60 ARB rear, 37" Goodyear MTR's. Only Jeep thing on vehicle is grill.

Randy

wrbuchanan_2009_191256.jpg

wrbuchanan_2009_191257.jpg

17. setool

setool Member

I bought my daughter a 2003 Liberty 2 years ago... It had 80,000 plus on it.

She has Never had a problem to this day, except a new pair of shoes (Nokian's).

Living in Ohio, never stuck in bad weather, and a good little sporty vehicle !!

Hope I'm not jinxing myself.

mark S.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.