1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Used Gun Sales?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluedsteel, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Has anyone experienced a recent decline in the sales of their used guns? I recently put together a list of several guns that I wanted to sell...just guns that I don't shoot anymore. I was hoping to raise some cash to help pay for a newer trap gun. In any event, I priced the collection pretty well under what I thought would be the going price. I then sent my list to several dealers in my area...absolutely no interest.

I don't think my asking prices were unreasonable. I have completed two "sell offs" in the past, of similar collections. All sold within a month or so, very close to my asking price. Now, I hear nothing.

For what it's worth, my collection included a general cross section, including Smith and Wesson's, Remington's, Brownings, Beretta's, etc. Handguns, shotguns, and rifles were all represented.

I can't get a handle on how local dealers are doing. I have the impression that AR-15 types and hi-cap autos are still moving, but not like earlier in the year.

I would be curious as to what others have experienced or noticed.

bluedsteel

2. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Don't waste your time with dealers!! Just put them on TS.com with GREAT photos and a fair price and you will probably get some sold. Rick ~~~Texas

3. leadvail

leadvail Member

I've noticed that alot of used guns are piling up in the stores that sell them on commission. 250 savage 99's, sweet 16's and win 42's that you didn't see before are on the rack at decent prices. Green Mnt and Firing Line as examples. I just picked up a Win 9410 well below blue book at one.

I bet the guys that started hoarding primers, powder and black rifles/ ammo are having to make their credit card payments now and are reaching back into the safe.

4. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I have sold several guns on this site ranging from $500-$10,000. I have also purchased several in the same price range. It's all about the pictures and the price. If you cant sale an item on here it is because the price is too high or the condition is to bad. When all else fails and you cant sale it, keep lowering the price until it does.
    Good luck in your selling.

5. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

bluedsteel,

You have a .45 ACP in the bunch?

Guy Babin

6. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I've noticed Joel Etchen doesn't seem to have any trouble selling clean and fairly priced used guns.

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I was at one of this area's larger gun shows last weekend. The traffic seemed much lighter than it has been and I saw very few dealers filling out ATF 4473s. Even the "black gun" dealers weren't busy.

Things are tight and we're approaching the Christmas season, so that may account for a slowdown. I did buy four boxes of some .45ACP ammo I hadn't been able to find anywhere for the past six months - Federal Hy-Shok 185-grain JHPs - for $29.95 per box of 50.

Ed

8. spritc

spritc Active Member

Bluedsteel, List them here with complete descriptions and pictures along with fair prices and you should sell most if not all of them. Prices should be plus shipping and insurance. If you need help, many of us can provide what you need.
    You can also offer to trade them for various trap guns. Most of us have done that a time or two.

Good Luck,

Steve

p.s. don't expect to get 100% condition retail for any used gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.