1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Used gun rating

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SARGE75X, Sep 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

A dealer advertises a used gun and in the ad it states the gun is rated at 97%. What does that mean to you? to me and from what I've read it means the firearm is almost as good as new in the box. Maybe a slight mar here or there, I open the box the stock is swollen above the recoil pad ie water damage. I removed the stock the nut and action tube are full of rust, there is rust and pitting on the receiver. The seller states his rating system must be different than mine?? I guess he dreamed up a system. I asked for a partial refund or a total refund and return of the firearm. No refunds. Not a big deal just a field gun but the arrogance of the dealer really pulled my chain.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You got lied too and screwed. That dealer is not one I ever want to deal with. 97% means only 3% removed from new. It should be damn close to the way it left the factory. IMHO

3. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

That ain't a 97% gun. Post the name of the dealer.

jim brown

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

TTT Name the dealer..

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Sounds more like 70-80% (60% would be a "jack handle").

Reminds me of an 1100 I traded for once. I traded my old M37 Winchester in on it and the vendor looked mine over with the eyes of a jeweler. When I got home and took his prize apart to clean, someone had cut the end of the magazine tube off for whatever reason and just sort of jury-rig/bolted it back on (you should have seen that one). Two shots and you had retighten everything. Fortunately my cousin was an excellent welder and there was enough meat left repair it. Made a good slug gun. Better luck to you.

Bob Falfa

6. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

I gave the guy a chance and now I notified gun$roker, I won't name him just yet. But I'll tell you the way things are you've got to be careful. Another thing this guy openly admitted to selling alot of firearms but he's not a FFL holder?? I sent a copy of my friends FFL license and he mailed it back to him?? Knock knock, Hi I'm Sgt Jones with ATF.

7. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Well, we really would like to know who this seller is so that we can steer clear of him...... Thanks, Mike.....

8. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

97% is like, it was taken out of the box, handle/fondled a few times and maybe a nick or two from being stuck in a safe. That's a 97% gun to me.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I think even if he makes your deal right he will have no problem screwing others. You already said he has sold many guns. What's the odds that those sales were all peachy? Not good.

Out him with a "Buyer Beware". Kinda like a storm watch not warning.

10. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

TTT. I would really like to know what, if anything, Gunbroker does to help you out, as well as the identity of the seller. Good luck.

11. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

His name is Marty Austin, he is in Marion Il, user handle hardncotoys, right now he has about 10 guns including a M12 Trap listed with his grading system

12. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

thanks Sarge. consider it a community service. Bill

13. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

This the guy?

Marty Austin
    (618) 993-2302

1213 N Glendale St

Marion, IL 62959-2916

14. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

And all of his guns are listed at 97% or even higher?? A used M12 with a Hastings barrel at 99%, what is that? He stated he should have blocked me from bidding as I did have a problem before, and that nothing he did would make me happy. FYI he did or offered nothing to make things right other than he was sorry I felt the way I did. I expected a decent gun my son could use this Fall for Pheasant, well it will be after I rebuild it.

15. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Don't remember the exact wording of the GCA but believe it states a person may not engage in the "business" of selling firearms unless they have a Federal Firearms License. Don't know what constitues "business". If you continually have guns for sale, multiple listings at one time, it may meet the definition. Don't know what you paid this guy but it would probably be in his best interest to pay the freight back and return all your money rather that try to defend his unlicensed transactions to the local ATF office. It's a dirty deed but pick up your phone, they're always home, it's a local call; call the number as soon as you can, have yourself a ball.

16. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

I had a problem with a different dealer, spent 3 days in ICU with a PE and had to back out on a deal. Guy blasted me pretty hard, but I had to back out.

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Blue book explains grading in the front of the book.

Above explanations are correct.

HM

18. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

Sarge, you lost me. PE?

Charlie

19. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

I had a DVT, Deep Vein Thrombosis or commonly a blood clot, in my right leg, my GP missed the diagnosis and it broke loose and lodged in my right lung then it's called a Pulmonary Embolism or PE for short, about 90 percent of patients die within a hour

20. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Btw I've had it happen twice, once at school and again last year after a Parathyroidectomy Surgery, the second time I had multiple embolisms and the Pulmonary Dr said after viewing my CT she would have guessed I would have passed. Only reason I didn't as I'm 6'4" and have big lungs. Lucky to be still on this side of the Trap Field.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.