1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

-------- Used gun advise. PLEASE HELP…. -------

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rcclee, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcclee

rcclee Member

Hi Guys,

Need some advices on buying the right gun.

Being new to the sport, I don’t want to spend a lot of $ to buy a brand new gun. I have tried a few different models and decided on getting a combo set. I was lucky that the factory stock with adj comb fits me very well out of the box and really like the factory glove grip, light weight barrel, adj rib, and screw in choke tubes etc…

As you know, it is really hard to find a good condition used gun with ALL the features that you WANT. So, will you :

a. Wait for the perfect used gun to show up in the use market and use a OK gun for now OR

b. Get what it is available in the market now that is closest to the feature/spec of the perfect gun you want; add modifications along the way to make it the “perfect” gun.

The catch on option b) is that, with all the aftermarket modifications, the $ goes up really fast. Based on the quotes from dealers, a used gun with all the aftermarket modifications I want, it’s only about 20% lower than a brand new gun… so at that point, it doesn’t make much sense to pay so much $ on a used gun.

How would you approach this dilemma?

Your thoughts and help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
  2. revbook

revbook Member

I'm not sure you know what you need being new to the sport. I think I would decide on a O/U or semi and get something that fits reasonably well with adjustable comb and possibly an adjustable butt plate. Shoot it for a while (a year or two) and keep your eyes open for what you want. Try other shooters guns every chance you get. I believe in the old adage that you should spend less on your gun and more on your shells so you can shoot more.

Don
  3. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

Whatever you do, become comfortable right now with the fact that no matter what you buy, you will be buying something to replace it sooner than you think. LOL
  4. yakimaman

yakimaman Active Member

By what you like right now and then next time buy the one you like better and then the next time buy the one that you like better than that one and then the next time buy the one that really, really looks cool and then the next time buy the one that really, really crushes targets..............

You may never have your "one and only". My only advice would be to hold off on a combo unless you're getting one hell of deal or are bound and determined to shoot doubles. I bought 6 trap guns in the last year - still have 4 and all shoot fine ---- and I'm still looking.

Rich
  5. wolfram

wolfram Active Member

Buy a used gun that is a well known and popular make. This is to ensure the gun won't go down much if any in value whie you are using it. Buying a new gun is like buying a new car you will take a bit hit on the resale value.

When you get to the point where you are considering modifications, weigh the costs of those mods and amount they will increase of decrease your gun's value against the cost of upgrading to a gun that has the feastures you want.
  6. MDMike

MDMike TS Member

I think revbook gave you some pretty good advice. Guns seem to pop up from time to time. If you purchase a gun that fits OK and you continue to use it, who knows, you might just decide to keep it or have some modifications done to it so you like it even more. Shooting targets, IMHO, is probably the best way to get good and stay in touch with shooting.
  7. rcclee

rcclee Member

Thanks Guys!

Have a great weekend.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.