1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

used ckokes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by torqueman, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. torqueman

torqueman Member

Is it agood ideal to buy used choke tubes, How do you know when thier are tired? ThANKS JOE

2. quartering

quartering Active Member

can they get tired? i've never worn one out. good luck with it

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

You USE used choke tubes... why be concerned about buying them??

MK

4. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Joe, as long as the threads aren't damaged or battered and they have not been dropped causing deformity of the tube, there should nothing wrong with them. If they visually look perfect, they probably are.

John

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

A simple check of bore diameter..and internal "roundness" is important..A dial indicator on a lathe can properly check a tube.. While I have bought many used tubes.. a few have been "opened" up.. and not done so well.. I visual glance will usually not tell you anything...

With lead shot.. I doubt if you'll ever wear out a choketube.. Steel shot is another thing.. especially in the tighter chokes..

Some custom tubes were altered to move POI.. Quickly spotted with a dial indicator..it can often be spotted with a keen eye.. One side of the choketube is thicker than the other.. Some tubes were made to correct an improperly threaded barrel.. While the work perfectly in the barrel they were made to correct..they can actually damage another barrel if the rear section encroaches on the barrel bore.. and catches the wad..

All in all.. use caution.. The $10.00 you might save is not worth the cost of a barrel..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.