1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Used cars - pay full asking price?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

First let me say I haven't purchased a vehicle in 10 years, and I hope it is another 10 years before I have to buy another. I can afford to buy a new one but the sales tax and dealing with the sales weasles - just makes it too unpleasent. I'll keep what I got.

I have a young man who has been hanging around my shop for the last 10 years or so. No Dad has been in sight for years, so he asks me for advice. Well he is 23 now, out of college and got a job. He is wanting a decent vehicle. He has managed to save 15K for his purchase. (I told him to fund a Roth Ira, instead of buying a vehicle).

Well anyway I told him to look for a truck in the 15 to 16K asking price range, then offer em 13 to 14 for it and use the "leftover 1,000 to 1,500 to pay for the sales tax, plates, title, etc.. I hope he can get a nice used truck "out the door" for the 15K he has saved.

I've went with him to look at 3 vehicles in the last couple of weeks. They have been in the 15 to 16K range and these dealers won't move an inch on the price. We offer 13K - they say no. We raise out offer to 13.5K they go in the back room and talk to their sales manager, and come back and say No. They never counter, I get poed and get up and walk out. At least counter with an offer.

Just wondering - is this the new standard operating procedure in buying a used car? There used to be give and take.

It is not even for me and the damn sales weasels are still pi__ing me off! I'll be driving the same vehicle till I die.

2. 1perazzi

1perazzi Member

Don't buy from a dealer! Private party sale is the only way to go.

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

You could be in a area where used truck demand is higher than the supply.

If he does not need a truck for his job or lifestyle I would steer him to a car.

Truck cost more, more expensive to insure, more expensive to service and maintain. They are hard on fuel.

I'm a contractor and i'm always looking for a solid truck, but if i did not need one I would drive clean cars for much less!

Just paid $1200 for a set of tire for the F-250.

4. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

It didn't take me very long to figure car salesmen out.

Just about every car I showed some interest in, there was someone else interested.

The best way to look is not get excited and have the attitude....I drove in here I can drive out.

Usually, the price is the finance price, so don't by shy making a lower offer.

If they refuse give them your number and walk.

Your phone might ring sooner than you think. Commission talks in the auto business.

Regards....Gerald

5. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Apparently that's the approach that has worked for them in the past. My son in law runs a dealership where they bend over backwards to be polite and helpful. Go somewhere else. if I didn't have a dealership in the family I would always deal with private owners. Bill

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

These days, with the interest rates the way they are, he's way better off buying new. It's just that in most cases, you don't know where the car came from. If it's on a used car lot, there's a good chance it was taken in at auction...this can be a bad thing. Auction vehicles are auctioned for a couple of reasons, one is that it's just not a good seller (mini vans come to mind) OR there is something wrong with it. It could have been in a flood, accident..etc and "Dummied Up" as we would say in the car biz. It can be a real art to fool the untrained eye and even some veteran dealer Whizbangs can be tricked...I've seen it lots of times.

If you're really serious about buying used, bring a good Mechanic with you!!

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Stay away from used cars unless you know the owner and the history on the car. You can't believe the number of water damaged used cars that are out there from that big storm Sandie. HMB

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The last car I bought was for my wife, we went and found the car she wanted, I asked the saleman how much ..? He had to talk to his manager, I told him if the manager comeinto his office we are gone ... Hecame back and shot us a price of $26,347.00 and her old car which was never mentioned until that moment ... I told him I would write a check for $20,000.00 and her car, take it or leave it ... He was back to his mangers office and here comes the manager, I excused us and started for the door ... The manager asked if I was interested in what he had to say and I told him only if the answer is Yes ... He said he can't for $20,000.00 but can sell us the car for $20,047.00 out the door ... I told my wife at this point its up to her ... We split the $47.00 and everyone was happy and I was the hell out of there ... Picked the car up 3 days later, she is still driving it but time for a new one is coming soon ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I can't believe that $47.00 was the deciding factor in a $20k deal.

Eric

10. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Sure it's great to buy a new truck but I don't want the $700 per month payments!

Now I'm talking real full sized truck, not a toy.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Find what you want, and look up the price online. Don't use Kelly Blue book, NADA is not great but adequate. I use Edmunds and have the wholesale and Private party price to dicker with.

The fact is most of the internet car guides are overpriced from my perspective. Untill new info shows up I use Edmunds.

HM

12. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Kelly Blue book is always way high. It's only good for insurance purposes. I always got a kick of people that said "I'm going to ask Blue book for my car". They always sat on that turd for months and months until either they got lucky and some sucker came along (there really is one born every minute) or they drastically lowered their price...usually the latter.

13. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

When you decide what you what, go talk to your insurance agent!! before you buy!

One years difference in model can mean a great deal! I've even encountered "color" making a coverage "cost".

ie, I purchased a 92 Ford Ranger 4x4 extended cab. A 93 LOOKED the same BUT cost twice as much to cover. I asked WHY, The 93 was classified as a SUV the 92 wasn't!! I was wanting a Ranger and had various one's being considered, I went for the older one.

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Mixer,

There is such a thing as principle, I made an offer and they basically took it but had to have it their way or 1/2 their way anyhow ... I would of started to walk away and they would of never let me get off the lot for $47.00 and I'll take all bets on that ... I played a game with them and we both won ...

I did the same thing when I bought my Challenger, but the dealer let me walk away ... They called a week later and I informed them that I bought a car and it was sitting in my garage ... The guy got pissed that I didn't give him a chance to meet the price where as when I was leaving I told him if I find a better deal I will take it ... Its not the matter of money or how much sometimes, it a matter of being the winner or loser ... I pay cash and it spends any place obviously ... Thats the way it goes ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Try shopping at the end of the month. Quotas etc., usually make them deal more..

Van

16. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

every time i go the car lot i run into this guy ,mash on link

17. twotimer

twotimer Member

Bisi, a dealer will typically clean and service a car and make sure everything is working well. If you buy it from a private party you have no recourse if something is wrong. Plus you'll have to do all the leg work getting it titled etc. You should expect to pay a little more from a sound dealer because you will get more. I am in no way recommend that you pay the asking price though. Mike

18. high 2

high 2 Member

A friend of mine told me something years ago that has helped me a lot in these type of matters. It was "not all trappers wear fur caps". Listen to Tron, I don't mind paying more if I have a company with a great reputation of taking care of things. As also stated, lots of cars out there that have been wet. I would never pay asking price from a dealer unless I knew for sure it was a steal. Larry

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Call your banker and ask him what the "loan value" is. Best method ever.

You won't get the car for that but you can drive a better bargain.

HM

20. John 53

John 53 Member

jeffprigge you just cost me 6 minutes of hilarity. Thanks.