1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Used car dealers and gun salesman

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Over the years, I have heard some horror stories about both. Some people feel that a used car salesman and a gun salesman could very easily change and do each others job as selling is selling.

I have been fortunate enough to know people in each job, and they both exceed the common stereo type in a good way.

I have purchased from the car salesman and this man is so honest that he has lost car deals and his job over being so honest that his employer could not stand his integrity.

I also know people who have owned gun shops that are as honest and good as the day is long. I witnessed something years ago that I will never forget.

I had a used car that I was going to sell in the spring and I dropped the insurance on it. A month later a relative needed a used car and asked if she could purchase it from me.

I told her I no longer had any insurance on the car and I would take her for a test drive as the brakes were bad and I thought it be best if I drove it instead of her.

I took the car and her around the block and sure enough I could not stop in time and I got into a fender bender. It was my fault and the woman in the other car said she would take the car in for three estimates and I would pay her cash.

At that time, I did not have the full amount to pay the woman in the accident so I took my guns to a gun dealer friend of mine and told him what happened. He gave me almost retail for my guns and said once I had the money I could pick my guns up as he promised me that he would not sell them.

What this dealer really did was give me an interest free loan and I will never forget his kindness. He is no longer with us, and for some reason I thought about him today.

Maybe there is still hope for this world as there are still some good guys and gals out there that will help another person in need. These two guys that I talk about today made an impression on me for the better.

Do any of you know any car or gun salesman that you trust?
    Steve Balistreri

2. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Well the way some of you have commented I Guess i better "slither" under my Rock. NOT!!!! I agree there are a LOT of Crooks selling cars & guns but,there are MORE of us that have INTEGRITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! joe90t

3. senior smoke

There are good and bad types in every type of job. I personally try to look for the good in people instead of the bad.
    Steve

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Well, I trust Merlyn, who is currently selling guns at the Grand.

Why you may ask?

Because he has so much money he doesn't need to screw anybody out of a dime.

He only sells guns as a hobby to help out his fellow shooters. (;-)

He is one of the good guys.

Hauxfan!

5. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Well shoot, I guess I must be a slimeball because I have been a car salesman for the last six years. I can honestly say that I have never lied to make a sale. A real salesman does not have to lie to make a sale.

As a sidenote, I have been lied to by more customers than I can count. If their lips are moving type of a deal lol.

You are correct, there are alot of bad ones out there, you just have to be smart enough not to deal with the bad ones.

John

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

An infamous TS.com used car salesman once tried to hook me up with this piece of "Modern Art."

-Gary :p

gw22_2008_030362.jpg

7. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

My son in law is the manager of the used car section at a large car dealership in the area. He is very good at what he does. Would he lie to a customer? NO.. His business depends on word of mouth and return customers. You might get away with screwing someone once, but word gets around. Would he act like he's your best friend when he really is not? yeah....Bill

8. ONEDOLLARBILL

ONEDOLLARBILL Member

I live in a fairly small town am a retired Firefighter and now own a used car lot, every sale I make for the most part is someone I know or someone that knows someone have been at it for 34 years 1st part time now full time you dont hang around that long by screwing people ! But like someone else posted I have had customers that try to pull the wool over my eyes daily !I also have a friend that runs a small gun shop same deal !

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I know of both kinds in both businesses. The good ones are a pleasure to deal with and I simply find the less honest a challange. After you've acquired a grey hair or two one should have paid attention enough in life to be able to distinguish between the two.

Merlyn is definetly one of the good guys. That pup that he totes around is his soul keeper and dishonesty results in a large chunk of his posterior area missing!:)

10. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I fondly remember "Larry's Guns and Autos" just north of Lansing, MI.

Used guns and used cars--long gone, but I shot sporting clays with the owner dor many years afterward. Quite a character.

11. senior smoke

I guy just sent me a PM and said there are some truth to stereo types. I think he may possibly be correct, but you can not blanket a profession by saying that they are all good or all bad.
    Steve

12. buster45

buster45 Active Member

The lying used car salesman is hold over from years gone by. The quality of cars has improved greatly. Many dealers send their used cars through their make ready shops to find and make repairs. With the internet and vin number you can do a lot of research your self. Most dealers offer after sale warranties to make the customer feel safer.

As for gun dealers I have used Gene Sears in El Reno Ok. for many years all used guns carry a warranty and his policy on all used guns if you don't like bring it back within 30 days and he will give full credit on another gun.

How can you beat that for customer assurance.

Buster

13. senior smoke

Buster:
    What you say is very true. When I started driving in the 60's we had a small corner used car lot that sold cars in my neighborhood. Supposedly, the owner was putting saw dust in the engine to make it run more quiet. Shortly after the new owner that purchased the vehicle would have problems.

Back then, there were no warranties, not much you could do. Today, a dealer would be foolish to pull stuff like that on car buyers.
    Steve

14. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

We all know some "salesmen."

rickn_2008_170912.jpg

15. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

After retiring from the Air Force I was a service manager at a Ford/Toyota dealership. The average labor sales a month was $15,000.00 and many people told me that the old mgr was a crook and lied all the time. After four years we were averaging $75,000.00 in labor sales and our car sales had gone up 28 pct. I used the Ford and Toyota programs for repairs after warranty. Fords was up to 75,000 miles and Toyotas was case by case with a good bit of leaveway. Honesty works! Jackie B.

16. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I have a 2007 Pathfinder with over 141K on it. I am thinking about a new vehicle. Yeah, I know, I should be good for another 35K or more, but that's less than two years for me as I put a lot of miles on my vehicles.

I tend to keep them fairly long or till fairly high mileage but not because I am cheap, and not because I am frugal. I wouldn't mind buying a new one every two to three years.

I hold off buying another vehicle simply because I just can't stand dealing with car salesmen, used or new. I suppose, in fact, there are some that are honest-but I haven't ever met one yet.

I especially like the ones that take your keys to have your trade evaluated, then can't seem to locate the keys when you are ready to leave.

Bob

17. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I've been looking to trade back to a pick-up from my Tahoe.

Recently I saw a 2005 at a dealer and went in to ask about it.

A salesperson came out and I asked for the price........well, here we go!!

What do you want to pay, Trading anything in, This is a really nice one-owner, and I see your trade in has a lot of miles on it......On, and on.

I finally did get a price, and they wanted within $9,000 of a new 2012!!

They said used GM trucks were hard to find, and with only 78,000 miles, this is a steal.

I happen to know someone working there, and I called to ask him about the truck.

I told him I wanted to trade in mine, and what price would he start with, with a trade in.

He quoted me the a price $3000 cheaper than the other salesperson! I asked if he was sure, and he checked again, and said yes.

I was upset and informed him of the difference, and he couldn't explain.

I told him I would like to trade local, but I'll look for an honest dealer.

Just my bad experience.

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"....Supposedly, the owner was putting saw dust in the engine to make it run more quiet...."</i>

When I was a teenager I worked in an auto parts store and delivered parts. I delivered a differential cover gasket to a car lot. Went in to hand off the part and saw their mechanic pouring scoops of sawdust into the rear end of a car on the hoist.

19. senior smoke

I have found that anytime a dealer name starts of with "Crazy Al's, or Crazy Tommy used auto's I keep on going.

My rule of thumb is if I personally like the guy he usually is the one I pick.
    On that note, I have never been able to deal with a female sales person that would give me a good deal? I have no idea why?
    Steve

20. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

"Never met a con man I didn't like" D Winter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

used gun salesman lies