1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Used 1/2 ton pickup truck recommendations

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by FIB, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

I'm going to be in the market for a used 1/2 ton pickup truck this spring and I'm looking for recommendations. I need an extended cab 4x4 with a V8. Thinking of 07 or newer. Will be used for pulling a sm. 16' Lund fishing boat and general travel. I'm not name brand loyal. Looking for something that is #1 dependable/reliable, #2 gets decent MPG. Thanks in advance.

2. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I've had good luck with Fords, but I would just looked for the best deal no matter what brand.

Good luck in finding a deal on an 07 or later. The crazy ba****ds around here want more for a used truck than a new one.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The ford is my choice. I have had three GM's, two Toyotas and 5 Fords. Never anything but Ford again for me. I have one with a V10 and one with a 5.4 Triton. The 5.4 will pull your boat, 4 x 4 gets 14 and 16 MPG. If I was buying new I would get the F150 with a 6.2, thats a hell of a truck. I drove one

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I'm with cuban..I'm a blue oval guy...a good 03-05 Ford F250...(sorry I like the Super Dutys best..will last forever)with a 5.4 will do most anything you want....Stick with American and you will be fine...the Chevys are great as are the Dodges with the hemi...they are all fine trucks

5. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks guys. After testing the waters today (stopping at a local Ford dealer) I may have to look at an 03-05. I couldn't believe what they were asking for 07's!

6. CalvinMD

a good low mileage one in that year range will serve you well...my 04 SD is a gem...love the 10 cylinder..so smooth and powerful..but you wont need anything more than the base 8 cylinder

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

My money goes tward a Chevy. My 1/2 ton has 250K miles and nothing but routine maintience. The only hard parts I've changed has been the starter and waterpump. I've been through 3 sets of brakes, but only paid for the first (you gotta love lifetime warrenties), on my 4th set of tires, shocks twice, and tuned up twice. The AC is untouched and still blows very cold. Mind you, this truck 14 years old.

All of my ball joints and steering linkage are the original and still tight. Chevy puts grease zerks in from the factory unlike Dodge and Ford. Wait till you have to pay $2K or better to get a front end rebuilt and you'll think twice about a ford or dodge. They will usually go till 100K before they start getting loose and cause a lot of tire wear issues.

My old truck still gets 20mpg and uses a pint of oil between changes. It's used this amount since new. It doesn't leak and mark its territory like a lot of other vehicles with similar miliage do. I know I'm not the only one who's had this kind of life out of their Chevy truck.

ss

8. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

Ford-only

9. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I would go with the truck that you can examine the service record. There are those out there who would not take care of their equipment and sell it just before it starts to fall apart. I've had good luck buying used and also got a good reaming so I would look at the service record if possible. Sometimes some of the guys in the service departments can vouch for the trucks record.

Also if buying off a dealer ask the salesman if the vehicle has been in an accident. If they don't give you an immediate straight answer walk away. Take your time you will find one that you want. Dan

10. THE-PLUMBER

THE-PLUMBER TS Member

each to his own but ford's have alway's been great me.on the jobsite's where a truck is truely tested we are always fixing a chevy 5 to 1.no matter how cold it get's outside my ford alway's start also.good luck on your choice,sometime's it does'nt matter who's name is on the truck.if you are the choosen problem child your s.o.l anyway

11. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Is there a CarMax in your area?

They buy a lot of vehicles from Hertz, Enterprise and other rental companies. Pick ups too.

Almost all their vehicles have less that 50,000 miles on them and are like new.

12. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Unless it is a limited use vehicle why not buy a new Toyota Tundra? Reliable, solid carrying capacity decent gas milage and right now at least in Chicago 0% for 60 months! For a used vehcile Tundra has to be the best bet!

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Well, some are better than others. Who wants a new truck, anyway?

HM

14. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

There's a truck in that photo?

ss

15. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Bruce, go to youtube site and search ford f150 vs tundra frame strength. It's a very interesting video.

16. CalvinMD

My friend owns a Collision repair and frame service....per his recommendation ..Dodges Toyota and Nissan frames cannot take a hard hit..once their frames are bent ...they dont hold after straightening..if heat is required its even worse..they sag or spring back and wheel alignment or even worse panel alignment starts going crazy....I know you dont buy a truck to wreck but stuff happens and if you just plan on selling off after an accident...makes no diff anyhow...just saying

P.S. Be very careful buying used to not get one of these rolling wounded veterans

17. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

I have been a Tech in fleet service. And all the big 3----Ford--G.M.--and Dodge all have there own issues.I really think you would be safe with either one of the three.Now thats in the 1/2 ton category,now the 3/4 ton trucks,thats another can of worms---so to speak.Previous to the fleet service for 18 years, I worked in Ford and Chevrolet dealerships so I have seen the good and bad of Fords and Chevys.

Sandy Holehouse.

18. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Tool Maker I drive a
    ford and am a loyal Ford owner based on the post frame strength is not an issue. I've seen the youtube you mentioned and I know that Toyota had a problem with some frames. That said for a vehicle that is as close to trouble free as you can own Toyota / Honda are the vehicles to own. Honda doesn't make a 1/2 ton.

19. shadow

shadow Active Member

Love my Ford F-250 with the 7.3 Diesel, 20mpg towing my boat at highway speeds.

20. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Calvin, I spent years repairing vehicles and straightening frames. Your friend is right - BUT - the reason a Toyota frame is so hard to repair is because it is so tough and that toughness does a lot to protect you. I am a Ford man all the way and the Fords have a strong frame also but the Toyota 4 runner, and Tacoma is the toughest frame on the market. It takes good equipment and years of experience to repair one correctly. That said I have had Toytoa trucks and went back to Ford. reason is that Toyota just does not make a real towing truck. If I had teen agers getting ready to drive, their vehicle would be a Ford Truck because it is a sure thing that they are going to have an accident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best used 1 2 ton 4x4
best used 1 2 ton truck
best used half ton pickup

best used half ton truck

best used half ton trucks
most dependable used pickup trucks
most reliable half ton truck
used truck recommendations