1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Use of Shotkam

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JB in UK, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JB in UK

JB in UK TS Member

Has anyone had any experience using a Shotkam?
    Did you find it useful especially for shooting trap targets?
    I would really appreciate and views or comments on its use
    Thank you

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

I have one on order and will post a report when I get it.

T

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Mine will arrive on Tuesday, but its going on a Skeet gun...

4. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Have you watched the company videos? That should answer your questions.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I ordered one (Shotkam). Mine should arrive today. I will post a review next week.

6. himark

himark Well-Known Member

videos on there website are great but if it doesnt work in the real world well I am sure "companies" web site wont be putting that on there. Good post I look forward to reading some of you guys real world use comments.

7. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

I have had one for two months and have extensive experience with the ShotKam. It is a very good device once you set it up so that the super-imposed reticle MATCHES your personal view of the bird at the barrel tip. The ShotKam has many advanced features that you can dial in to really make it tailored for your style of shooting as well as the uniqueness of your gun.

You will need some sort of laptop (preferably) or desktop with a USB 2.0 port to connect the shotkam to the computer to see the videos. Each shot creates its own video. The recoil of the shell going off trips the shotkam to capture a few seconds before and a few seconds after and the ShotKam packages that into a short video clip. So a round of 25 shots could result in 25 clips.

As a shooter you MUST be aware that the camera is on the barrel and you MUST follow the bird AFTER you take the shot. If you have developed poor follow thru habits after the shot then the ShotKam will NOT see the bird break but will follow the barrel view. I noticed this when reviewing one of my buddies' rounds that he took with my gun and the ShotKam.

Lastly, the ShotKam allows you to dial in or out the amount of RECOIL that will trip the record cycle. On some break open shotguns, that close very hard, or are closed very hard and abruptly by the shooter, the simple act of closing the barrel to the action can in and of itself cause a record cycle on the ShotKam. So be aware of this and close your shotgun gently or adjust the shotkam to be aware of this. Also some powder puff light loads may not have enough recoil to start the record cycle. In that case, you may have to dial down the G force needed to start the record cycle.

All in all, the product works as described in their website. It is a real quality unit made really well. The support I received was excellent as I had to dial in some recoil adjustments (My Krieghoff KX-6 is a light recoil producing gun so I was not getting each and every shot recorded).

I hope this information helps and if you all have any questions, please let me know. I created a spreadsheet that you print out to annotate your hits and misses with notes. If any of you need a copy, please send me your email and I will send you the excel spreadsheet and you can print out the analysis pages.

Oh yes, and if I forget... the analysis of 25 to 100 shots is NOT a trivial thing as far as time is of concern. You have to develop a workflow to download, store and then play the shots. I began using a few 19GB USB thumb drives for this effort.

Art

8. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Mr. Price has a point and is my question also.

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I've been interested in gun cameras but the issue has been most have too short a focal length. While this is useful for short range shotgun use, it's not useful for long range varminting. Will have to revisit the subject to see if they now have longer focal lengths.

10. notenoughguns

notenoughguns Member

I bought a shot cam for my wife for Christmas and the first time out was under lights . Unless the lights are aimed awful high , the pictures or video will be washed out by the burnt powder smoke . The field of view is not adjustable so recoil may be a problem loosing the bird in the video . If you are a quick shooter ( 10 or 15 yards out of the house ) your follow threw may also cause to loose the bird in the video .

On a side note , in contacting shot cam , they offered to refund my money if I was not satisfied . I declined as it is a work in progress .

DAN

11. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

To answer the recoil trigger and target break question.....
    In Trap, the recoil at the gun and ShotKam is felt and triggers the record/store cycle at the time the shell itself goes off. It takes perhaps 5 to 8 frames of video and perhaps even more for the shot to hit the clay target. So... I suspect in the closer game of Skeet, the recoil to hit would be shorter. Remember guys it is taking SLOW MOTION video so the number of frames between the recoil and the clay breaking is quite a few.

Please understand... from the time you turn on the ShotKam until you turn it off it is CONSTANTLY recording video into a buffered memory.... only when the SHotKam FEELS recoil enough to trigger a record event, does it take the video from the buffered memory and create from that a video clip with a shot number as a name and store that into permanent SIMM memory.

It pretty much on the trap setting takes perhaps 4 seconds prior to the recoil and 4 seconds after the recoil and bundles that into a video clip of about 11 to 16MB in size.

I hope this clarifies that aspect?
    Thanks
    Art

12. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Guys:
    One other thing that I found very very useful.... that is the feature called the SIGHT PICTURE TIME.
    The ShotKam software has a reaction time test that you run a few times. This will figure out using the mouse what your visual to mechanical reaction time is. (USE YOUR TRIGGER FINGER ON THE MOUSE WHEN DOING THIS TEST).

Then when you enter that factor into the ShotKam, and tell it to hold the video for One, Two or Three seconds during playback, it will sort of back pedal your reaction time from the recoil trigger event and when you play the video it will freeze frame the video at the exact typical time that you would have pulled the trigger. This is the best way for me to understand what I was doing on that shot. ALso helps you to dial in the reticle overlay.

I do strongly suggest that the first two rounds you use the SHotKam that you play with it from station 3 only and preferably set to throw just straight-aways. Then you can quickly adjust the reticle to match your barrel to target view. In other words, the ShotKam's reticle needs to be showing you what you are SEEING when you pull the trigger. I hope this makes some sense.

Best
    Art

13. bubbasdad92

bubbasdad92 Member

Wait, I need some popcorn and a drink before someone tries to explain how the whole video buffer thing works to this bunch!

14. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Come on Bubba, we are not all Bubbas on here. Star4ever explained it pretty well. Now just got to figure out that microwave thing.

Does shotkam have a website?

15. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Yes ShotKam has a website.... I posted it just above...

16. himark

himark Well-Known Member

So how many rounds of 25 can it get on the smaller storage card? One round? several? So if at capacity do you have to stop and hook to a pc to delete or can you just keep writing over whats there?

17. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Ok, capacity of videos....

each 1GB (Gigabyte) which is 1024 MB can hold about 64 shot videos of 16MB each or 93 shot videos of 11MB each. Depending on the time duration then you could get about 960 shots in the 16GB Simm card and 4 times that or 3840 videos in the 64GB Simm Card.

If you COPY the videos to your PC or MAC the videos stay on the ShotKam Simm Card.
    If you MOVE the videos to your PC or MAC the videos are deleted from the ShotKam Simm Card as the move command does the delete after the move.

I copy the videos to my iMAC to a 19GB USB thumb drive to keep my iMAC hard drive clean, I do not want those videos backed up with my backup software.

So how many rounds on the smaller Storage card.... 960 shots divided by 25 shots per round would equate to 38 rounds if each shot were 16MB each. Quite a few rounds for sure.

Note that the ShotKam software and configuration files are also on the SIMM card so I left 1 GB of storage out of the equation for that purpose.

Probably the tech guy at ShotKam may have a better handle on the capacity than this but in real life, my video size per shot is in the 16MB range. Your mileage, depending on your ShotKam settings can vary.

I have never filled up the SIMM card so I cannot answer to you what exactly would happen if you filled up the SIMM card. As I said, after 4 rounds or so, I copy them to the USB thumb drive and then delete them from the ShotKam.

On my iMAC, the ShotKam manifests itself as if it is an external USB disk drive when it is connected to the iMAC or Laptop via the supplied USB cord. The videos are in a folder on the ShotKam known as the "100_KAM" folder. The shots are numbered such as "SHOT0001.AVI" and then SHOT0002.AVI ... SHOT0025 and so forth.

Hope this Helps?
    Art

18. RMR

RMR Member

Anyone out there that has one- have you used it on bunker????

I have thought about getting one for my daughter - but my hesitation is the speed of bunker being almost 2x that of ATA trap- will the camera still be able to give you the nice crisp clean still frames showing the shot pattern in relationship to the target????

Thanks for any input
    RMR

19. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

It does shoot in slow motion and can accommodate two shots.... seeing the shot pattern itself however would have to be a challenge.... the backgrounds where I shoot do not show the shot pattern... the background is too busy with trees, leaves and branches.... I have not used it when the background is clear sky.

20. 637g

637g TS Member

The camera is activated by the motion of closing the gun or shouldering the gun. It continues to record for about 2-3 seconds after the recoil. That way you can record the second shot of doubles.
    I set the cross hair sights to correspond with the poi so thst you can tell if you were ot close to the target, over or under, in front of or behind. It has optics good enough to see the shot very plainy. I used mine at a fun shot and the visiblity was dull and the video was very good.
    The video takes about 11 mb each. I have a 64 gig card and recorded 191 shot and it took a little less than 3 gigs.
    I found that if you use a laptop running XP, you can not use a card that is bigger than 32 gigs as the laptop will not recognize the camera as a removable storage device. A machine with Vista or Windows 7 or 8 will run the camera with the 64 g card.
    Would recommend the camera for any aim program or person that needs help as it will clearly show your short comings. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
do you need to sight in a shotkam
how to fix problems on shotkam camera
shotkam

shotkam reviews

shotkam vs
used shotkam