1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Use of a walker

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by LFT687, May 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LFT687

LFT687 Member

Too lazy to look it up, but does anyone know if there are allowances made for a shooter to use a walker at an ATA registered shoot?

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Too lazy to look it up?

3. LFT687

LFT687 Member

Thanks Rick. A fellow shooter who has had some tough luck medically as of late uses a walker with wheels. He leans on it between shots. Most recently it is because of his knees.We do take turn carrying his gun out to station one and in from station five. He moves himsel along from one station to another without help. He wants to shoot with his old buddies at a local club shoot, but I guess he didn't want to be embarrassed if he was told he couldn't shoot with it. My advice was for him to offer to shoot in the last squad so as not to hold up the shoot, or to shoot with other slow shooters so he wouldn't break the rythm of a squad. I'm not really too lazy to help out a friend. I just knew that someone on this forum would probably know.
    Dave

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I started using an adjustable swivel stool this year and my sqaudmates have been very gracious and patient and a young lady scorer even offered to carry the stool back to my truck for me....very much appreciated!

Ron Burr

Alberta

5. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

I have shot along side of many handicapped individuals over the years, from those using wheelchairs, to walkers, simply canes, or what have you. I have never run into a group that objected to such shooters on the squad, or who had any problem in helping out. If we do not the the patience and caring to be willing to wait a couple of minutes for those less fortunate, then I think we would be might poor representatives in the shooting sports.

Jim R

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Many shooters use a chair, stool or other device to help them with a handicap. Even with the random bank draw system, most clubs will make special exceptions for handicap shooters and allow them to shoot on a bank near the club house. I am not aware of anyone complaining about this. I admire their spirit.

Now, for me, I do wish clubs would make some special accommodations for mentally handicapped shooters. After reading many posts on this site, I have concluded that there are a lot of us.

Pat Ireland

7. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

I hope all who read this thread appreciate a sport that makes these type of accomodations without any outside interferance! We may be a bunch of curmudgeons but all are stand up guys! I'm proud to be an ATA member!-Mike

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"The only problem is finding a squad that is patient enough to wait on the handicap shooter to reach each post when moving and then someone has to take his/her gun and hold it while the move. "</i>

Surely not. After all, trapshooters are even tempered, open minded, courteous, respectful, and definitely are not impatient, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.