1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Use of #9's at Clay Target Championship

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kalapach, Sep 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kalapach

Kalapach TS Member

Use of #9

My son picked up a discussion that took place in April about the use of #9 shot size at the Grand American. In it someone said that Bernard Kalapach used Canuck shells for the Clay Target Championship and that they may have been #9s.I'm Bernard Kalapach and I want to make a correction to that statement. I used Winchester AA #9's for the 100 target race and for the 125 shootoff for the championship and the year was 1962. By the way,I'm pretty sure that I won the high over all that year. I used #9's for the first shot of the doubles and #8's for the second shot.The weather was warm and I thought that 9's would be the best that day. I would use larger shot if the weather turned cooler.(Cooler air is more dense and offers greater resistance to the shot pattern.)

2. Kalapach

Kalapach TS Member

I had a lot of admiration for Johnny Sternberger. Don't confuse him with Snellenberger, George another great shot of the time. I had to quit shooting because recoil was affecting my eyes and the doctor said keep shooting and you go blind or take up golf and save your eyes. (Golf is driving me crazy.)So which is worse shoot and go blind or golf and go nuts?

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Bernard, belated congratulations and please tell us more about your eye condition. I'm surprised more trapshooters aren't beset by it.

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Nice shooting!

Question?

Did you perhaps get a second opinion just to make sure.

I know if my Doctor told me that, I would make sure by getting a second opinion just to make sure the Doctor was right?

It is that important to me........both my shooting and my eyes.

Hauxfan!

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

I agree with you Hauxfan, get a second opinion if you did not already. Bulge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.