1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Use different POI-Singles vs Handicap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mark425, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

How many of you use a different POI for your singles and handicap? If you do, whats your yardage and how much do you raise your POI?

I have been thinking about the pros/cons of different POI's and have mixed feelings about making a change. Wanted to see what you guys here think.

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Same up to 24 yards and add a spcer after that to the comb or leave it alone.

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Everyone is mentioning "A spacer" now would someone mind elaborating on just how thick a spacer is???

I have about a hundred spacers unfortunately they are not all the same thickness.

Bob Lawless

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

When you guys say 'add a spacer' i assume you mean washers under the comb?? What thickness? Not that i'm on the 27 or anywhere near it. Maybe someday i will though. :)

Matt

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

When I first got the TMX my Handicap scores improved but my Singles scores suffered until I got used to the higher POI. I don't change the height of my comb.

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I use different POI for singles and Hdcp.

I change the rib and keep the same configuration by changing the comb also.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

7. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

I think that most guy's use 1/8 inch spacers ???

8. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

I have sum 1/16 washer. haven't added or taken any out for along time>

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

NJ Bob.... The standard "spacer" is generally considered a 1/16" spacer, as I understand it. If you read Phil Kiner's article on determining the POI that is right for you, he advocates using 1/32", 1/16", and 1/8". If I remember correctly, adding a 1/16" spacer will raise your POI 4" at 40 yards.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

10. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Instead of having to take off the comb every time, wouldn't it be easier to just move the rib one notch (or so)? Seems that you'd be changing spacers all the time as you go from singles to caps to doubles.

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I think changing the spacers might be easier that moving the rib?

12. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Its a bit more complex...If you keep the same load, you will need to raise the poi more than if you use a faster velocity load. Changing choke can also have a bit of an impact. And changing POI is done by raising the comb. Lowering the rib is a cosmetic issue, unless you believe in aiming off the front bead (not!). If you reload, I'd first start out by using a slightly faster load as you increase distance and observe your breaks. As you move back, you can increase the velocity somewhat more, but at some point in the move back to the 27, you will probably see that an increase in the POI offers benefits. And use 1/16th washers/spacers.

WNCRob

13. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Mark425, I shoot much better if I add spacers for handicap. Now about 1/16" for each 4 yards. When I had my 1/64" spacers, I used a 1/16" plus a 1/64" for each 4 yards and it worked out well. A 1/16" and a 1/32" is a touch too much. The only exception is Annies. I shoot them with my singles settings, or even a touch flatter.

You'll have to find out what works for you by trial and error. There are a whole lot of variables that go into this.

14. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Seldom are 2 shooters alike. Experiment a little & see what works for you. Clyde D

15. Bertmuss

Bertmuss Member

My singles scores started declining as I reached the 24 yd. I began experimenting with loads and ended up slowing my singles loads 1oz) to 1025 as I reached the 27 ( 1200 fps). Those light loads are a pleasure to shoot and solved the singles problem. I leave my gun adjustments alone so all I have to do to shoot either event is pick up the right shells. The light shells work great for first doubles. RM

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I would think changing the comb height as much as a 1/4" would be a tough adjustment for most. I know my comb came loose and lowered a bit and had me all outta wack.

Matt

17. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

Most would consider a 1/16" as a common spacer. Some of the adjustable click combs have 1/16" increments, as read from material from a fancy stock maker from NY. What ever it takes to get you there the 4" difference is not going to miss a centered target with a large amount of restriction. .035+

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I always just set my guns up to shoot for handicap ...then "learn" to shoot them that way at singles...now its second nature to float my singles using a 90% shooting iron. I even do Sporting clays with the double barrels with the same gun...I like the bird clearly in my vision with just a slight intrusion of the muzzle in the sight picture...thats just me and I'm a one-eye shooter

Tom Strunk thanked this.
  19. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Bob Lawless:
    A friend of mine is Dick Bennett. He wrote a book on trapshooting,"Trapshooting is a game of opposites". Dick was the previous long time owner of Boxhorn's gun club in Muskego Wisconsin. He was a AA27AA shooter at one time,and was also on the Wisconsin state trap team. Over the years he patterned guns, fit stocks, taught people how to shoot. He believed you should use 1/32 washers. I am the type of person that can not have an adjustable stock, as with every missed target I will make an adjustment and eventually wear out the allen screws. I had one adjustable stock in 40 years of shooting. I placed 1/32 washers in the stock to raise the comb. Once I got the gun shooting where I was looking and breaking targets with authority, I cemented the stock completely shut so I could never adjust it again.
    Steve Balistreri

20. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

SS, I'm with you. The more possible adjustments, the more excuses I'll make and more time I'll waste playing with the stock rather than shooting. I set my comb years ago and have not touched it since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best point of impact for singles vs handicap

poi for handicap trap

singles vs handicap trap