1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

USA Women's Trap in Tucson - International

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Mar 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

USA Women

Five USA women listed for trap today in Tucson.

Kayle Browning (great name)<br>
    KIM RHODE!<br>
    Corey Cogdell<br>
    Caitlin Barney Weinheimer<br>
    Kelsey Zauhar<br>

Now I know Kim used to shoot doubles trap, but I didn't know she also shoots singles trap? And "MQS" is listed after her name. I think that stands for minimum qualifying score, but I don't know exactly what that means or implies. Same is true for Kayle Browning (MQS.)

Maybe Tom Baber or Joe Potosky or some of you other International Trap guys can weigh in and explain what that means.

And some of you may recall, Kelsey Zauhar used to post here on trapshooters.com periodically. Her dad is Mark Zauhar who posts as Pride Engineer here. Great shooting genes in that family.

Go USA ladies!

2. Texas Crew'd

Texas Crew'd Member

Good morning folks,

The line up for Women's Trap in Tuscon is as listed. The weather is beautiful, the targets are great and the range is fantastic.

Kayle Browning (MQS) Currently tied for second, 2012 Olympic Trials/
    Kim Rhode (MQS) Representing USA in Women's Skeet 2012 Games/
    Corey Cogdell Currently tied for second, 2012 Olympic Trials, 2008 Bronze Medalist/
    Caitlin Barney Weinheimer, Currently leading Olympic Trials/
    Kelsey Zauhar Currently tied for second, 2012 Olympic Trials

Kayle and Kim are shooting for MQS as stated above. If Kim shoots a MQS this will allow her to shoot trap at the 2012 games as she already has a bed space and will be there shooting Skeet. An MQS is a Minimum Qualifying Score. A shooter must have shot this prior to the Games. I believe the MQS in Women's trap is 58 (I'm not 100% on that).

Corey, Cait and Kelsey are shooting for medals and everyone of them has been training hard in hopes of bringing it home for USA.

The second half of the 2012 Olympic Trials will be held at the end of May at Tucson.

It is a 75 target race with the top 6 shooting a final.

The USA Men Leaders are here as well.

Keep the prayers going for some USA podeum time this afternoon and tomorrow.

G Barney

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

Here is the deal. Any competitor who has qualified for the Olympics may participate in any other event provided that they meet the Minimum Qualifying Standard for that event.

Theoretically Kim could run the 100 Meter dash if she qualified. She already has a quota slot for Skeet and is going to London so she can shoot any other event provided she qualified for that event hence the reason for her shooting for a MQS in Trap at Tucson.

On another issue.... This is a limited entry shoot.... The following is from the Shoot Announcement

ISSF member federations may enter three (3) shooters in each competition event and two (2) additional shooters in each event for MQS.

Tom

4. Baber

Baber TS Member

Sportshot.... Read my post above. Kim is going to London to shoot Skeet and if she shoots a MQS in this event she can shoot trap as well. This in addition to the one quota slot we have for Women's Trap which will be decided at the Final Team Selection Match in Tucson in May. If Kim does a MQS here we will have 2 women's Trap shooters in London not ONE!

As far a "real Women Trap Shooter" is concerned ... they are there. Cory Cogdale won the Bronze in 2008 is one of the other women's shooters there .

Limited entry means that each country can only send 3 shooting for medals and 2 MQS per event.

Tom

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

After two rounds, Corey Cogdell has a 47 (tied with 5 others.)

There is one 48.

Caitlin Barney Weinheimer has a 46. Kelsey Zauhar has a 44.

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

Looks like Cory Cogdale won the match with a fantastic 24/25 in the final.

Kim rode did shoot a MQS so she will be shooting two events in London.

Ryan Hadden is tied for the lead with a 49/50 in the men's event. Another 75 plus the final tomorrow.

Tom

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Cory along with two others came to our club last fall for a week-end clinic for junior shooters. During the lunch hour the three of them each gave a brief talk to all the juniors there about how they got to where they are, where they came from, and most importantly a motovational talk about "you can be what you want to be" and how to go about attaining that. I want to tell you, listening to those three shooters from the Olympic Camp sure put a tear in this fellows eye. They carried the message of values and personal conduct that you don't hear about any more. They were inspiring to listen to. Great young representatives for us.

8. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

I'm thinking MQS would be backup in case something happened to one of the other 3

9. jhunts

jhunts Active Member

A competitor who has qualified for an event can compete in another event if they have met a MQS score in the other event.

I think earlier In this thread Tbaber explained it quite well.

From what I understand there will be 2 USA women competing in trap in London. The fall/spring selection winner and Kim Rhode

10. Texas Crew'd

Texas Crew'd Member

An MQS is a score or standard that must be shot in order to shoot at the Olympics in that given discipline.

In this country, if you are leading the in the target race to go to the Oympics and have not shot an MQS at an international event you are not going and the next shooter down with an MQS fills the slot.

In a nutshell it is supposed to prevent buying your way to the olympics and assuring the ticket purchasing spectators a good show.

That's the way I understand it to be. Tom may be able to explain it better.

The trials for the 2012 games is a 500 target race with a final. The first half was shot at Fall Selection in Kerrville 250 targets. The Second half will be held in May in Tucson for the second 250 + the final.

Excellent shooting by Corey. Two 71s and five 70s after 3 rounds. The 70s shot miss and out. Corey shot a 24 final and won the Gold for USA. The other USA women shot respectable but not quite high enough for the final.

Garry

11. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Wasn't it stated that the US has one slot in ladies trap at the Olympics? That was based on the US performance in world cups from what I understood. Kim did not displace anyone as she did not compete for that slot. Now we have two ladies representing the US in the Olympics.

12. Baber

Baber TS Member

Sportshot....

Let's try again. A country can send only ONE women Trap shooter provide they have won a quota slot. The US has won the quota slot and a shooter will be determined at a selection match in Tucson in May.

Now.... Since Kim Rhode has that quota slot for skeet she can if qualified shoot trap as well. She had to shoot a MQS in trap somewhere so why not Tucson.

She is not displacing anyone she is in reality doubling our chances for a medal in London.

Get it now....

Tom

13. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Kim is a trapshooter. A 2x gold medal winner in trap doubles. She took up skeet in 2005 when the Olympic committee eliminated womens trap doubles. And won the silver medal at the 2008 Olympic. Quite an accomplishment in 3 years.

Wayne

14. 870

870 Well-Known Member

It's kinda like this: an individual needs the quota slot to get in, and once in they can play other games as well; as long as they are good enough (MQS). Eliminates the Jamaican Bobsled Team situation. Kim isn't taking an opportunity away from any other USA Trapshooter.

15. Vernal Rod & Gun

Vernal Rod & Gun Active Member

Wow! listen to all the haters. Sounds like the ATA. Everything aside I doubt Kim is going to embarrass herself. Best of luck to all our fine shooters. give 'em hell in London!!!!

Sean Hawley

16. Vernal Rod & Gun

Vernal Rod & Gun Active Member

Sportshot, are you thinking that I have some sort of affiliation with the Mormon church because I live in Utah? Sorry dude, I worship the all seeing all knowing trap god. It looks like no rules were broken in Kim's case, so I don't see the problem with her representing our country in two events at the olympics as long as it does not take a spot away from someone else, do you?

Signed with my name ( as always )
    Sean Hawley

17. tencows

tencows Member

On a ligher note

Question

Who knows the name of the gentleman standing behind Caitlin Connor in the above picture? Congrads to all USA Shooters. Go USA.

18. perazziuser

perazziuser Active Member

Sportshot:

Kim will easily be in the top 50 women trap shooters because less than half of that will even be competing at the Olympics. You should go take a look at the scores that medaled in women's trap in Beijing. They were far from stellar. Worldwide, women's trap is the most open game out there. No shooters dominate it. Kim knows this. Heck, making it to the Olympics is harder than winning it. The historical scores will show you that. The field is tiny and half the good shooters there psych themselves right out of it early on. Kim could medal at the Olympics in trap with a mediocre score, all she has to do is get to the final. And that won't be hard because of the number of competitors.

Jeff Holguin

19. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Sportshot.

Kim shot an MQS score. How's them apples?

20. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Sportshot,
    You're confused, it's not the best shot who wins competitions, its the best competitor. Kim has proven to be one of the best and most seasoned Olympic competitors of all time, the key word is competitor and she's a tough one.

Sean and jeff are very aware of her abilities, don't count her out in either discipline, to do so would be foolish.

Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.