1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

USA Olympic Trap Gold (Don Haldeman 1976)

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rpg1339, Aug 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpg1339

rpg1339 TS Member

It's too bad that the US Team didn't win any medals in the men's olympic trap at Beijing. And it's been a long, long time since we won the gold at the olympics. Let's not forget Don Haldeman who won the gold at the Montreal Games in 1976. Don was a great shot and a fine guy to shoot with on the Army Reserve Team, back in the day. It was a sad time when he passed away a few yrs. ago as the result of a severe stroke that disabled him while still a young man.

Hopefully, the US Team will keep Don in mind as they train and prepare for the next games in 4 years. Maybe it will be an inspiration to all who try out for the team.

Bob G.
    Former US Team Member from long ago...

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

American Glen Eller won the Double Trap event with an Olympic record score of 190.

3. rpg1339

rpg1339 TS Member

Dear Bob K.,

Remember, the event that I'm referring to is the individual men's olympic trap. There was no such things as doubles trap (in Don's day and many others of us the doubles trap hadn't been thought of yet).

It's great that the US Team did so well in doubles trap this year with Glen Eller winning the gold.

Also, 'back in the day' there was no such thing as a military shooter competing as a JUNIOR. If you were in the service and ready to put your life on the line for your country - you were past the age of being a 'junior' so we didn't compete for that category. Ask any military shooting team commander or 1st Sergeant from that time period and they'll back up this statement. Hope that is helpful.

Bob G.

4. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had the privilege of shooting with Don at both Hatboro Gun Club and Bucks County Fish and Game, in eastern Pennsylvania. He was a very quiet and unassuming gentleman. I remember that he was actually somewhat embarrassed when, after winning the gold, my young daughter asked him to autograph her shooting bag at Bucks. He was also quite a stock maker.

Ed Yanchok

5. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

I met Don while shooting bunker in 1990. He was a gracious, unassuming man who was immediately friendly to me (a new shooter) and it was only when I went to the score-board and saw his scores - and another shooter asked me if I knew who he was - that I learned he was an Olympic Gold Medalist. He had some tough breaks towards the end, but even though he couldn't shoot anymore, he was always happy to come out to our club and award the Int'l Trap trophies. Shooters, desperate for some instruction or advice (like me) would sit down and pester him with questions for hours: how do you do this? How do you do that? Where should I hold? Where should I look? He would always answer every question and when he left, he would just quietly slip out. I think the reason he was such a great competitive shooter was that he never considered himself "A Great Competitive Shooter"; he never thought of himself as extraordinary or felt he had to prove - or had proven - anything about himself through his shooting. He knew he was good, but he knew it in the way that the rest of us know how to tie our shoelaces...as an ordinary, every-day fact that has no effect on us as people. Every time I ever met him, he was just "Don", not "Olympic Gold Medalist Don". When prodded by several of us, he told us, one time, the story of his Montreal Gold Medal: the weather was lousy (like Beijing's), he shot a mediocre score (190 ex-200!)and afterwards, figuring somebody was going to get close to 200, he just went back to the Olympic village - even though he was leading! He was sitting around having a beer or something, when a phone call came telling him to get himself back to the range because he'd won. Don shot, not because he loved winning (who doesn't?), but because he loved shooting. It's what he did...it's what he was. That, in my opinion, is what made him great. -John Wolfington

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Don and I were in a shootoff for a league trophy in 1969-I won. Can't say I really knew him well but he seemed like a nice guy!!

7. Taminator

Taminator TS Member

Krieghoff K-32 was his gun of choice!!

8. clb

clb TS Member

Don was 2 years ahead of me in high school, knew my grandfather well from shooting at the Souderton/Harleysville Fish and Game, and worked with my father as an apprentice at the Budd Co in Philadelphia before joining the Army. As has been said, Don was a very quiet guy, you could say shy, but once you got to know him, he was a warm and friendly person. To be disabled at such an early age was tragic. I would see him at Elysburg and he always would ask how my dad was doing and talk fondly about my grandfather. As said, Don was a fine stockmaker. He recheckered and finished a Parker SBT trap stock for me. As I remember he shot a K-32 release/pull. He said it was faster to shoot. Thanks for remembering Don, BobG

Chuck Bishop

9. conniemm

conniemm TS Member

Olympic medalist, Dan Carlisle, paid tribute to Don Haldeman after winning the NSCA Nationals in 2007. Carlisle wanted to win the Nationals and implemented a training program which he called the Don Haldeman Program. Dan talked about it in the February 2008 issue of Sporting Clays Magazine. -Connie

10. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

To anyone interested...the Ontelaunee Rod & Gun Club's International Trapshooting Facility will be hosting its "2008 Don Haldeman Memorial 200" tournament September 26 - 28, 2008. Training on Friday from Noon until 5:00 and 100 International Trap targets each day, Saturday & Sunday. The event will be held over a regulation 15-machine bunker and USA Shooting rules will govern. The Ontelaunee Rod & Gun Club is on Gun Club road just west of New Tripoli, Pennsylvania. Pre-registration is recommended. To register or for more information, contact: Rocco Bara - 610.837.2160 or "R_Bara@Hotmail.com" -John W.

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Competed-I think!!

12. conniemm

conniemm TS Member

Larry R. Stafford competed in the 1968 Olympics held in Mexico City. The event was Men's Trap 200 and Ray shot a 189. placing 26th, according to the USA Shooting Web site.

In the 1970 World Championships, Men's Trap 200, held in Phoenix, he won an individual Bronze and the Team won Gold.
    -Connie

http://www.usashooting.com/alumni/USSTresults.txt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.