1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

USA headed for recession?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shannon391, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Looks like the average Joe is strapped to the max and foreign investers are thinking we can't make good on our debts.
    Shaky markets.
    Could this turn ugly?

2. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I guess no one wants to comment on this topic, maybe I should have started a thread on "Should I tag the hottie at the Grand"?

3. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Yeah, I think we are in for a slowdown. In my business I've had more people not pay me than ever before. Normal economic cycle, I hope. Housing is slowing down, but damn it has been going gangbusters for the last 15 years. Got a large inventory of homes that need to be sold.

Having just got back from the Grand the rest of the economy must be doing okay. New 3/4 and 1 ton diesel pickups pulling new travel trailers were a dime a dozen. The big boys in 500K plus motor homes were out in force also. People riding golf carts, gators, ATVs, etc....K guns and P guns were the majority. Dam I'm in the wrong business.

4. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

shannon391, which hottie at the Grand we talking about? I seen a couple, we thinking about the same one? I'm thinking about the one that worked in one of the vendor buildings<VBG>

5. grammie

grammie TS Member

Shannon391:

Yes,,it could get very ugly!!!!!

George Bush has just revealed an new terrorist,,,,The Iranian Republican Guard!!!

In doing so,,,,he has just made it very easy to attack Iran because of that condemnation of the Republican Guard,,,,One mistep now,,,one break in the joint chiefs of staff conditions for a strike on Iran or a break in what is called,,"rules of engagement" concerning Iran,,,,and a target has been indentified for a limited air strike!!!

If it happens at midnight,,,expect oil to skyrocket to around 100 dollars per barrel the next day,,,,,and that alone would hurl the world into a major depression!!!!!

Expect a strike at Iran to occur,,,not if,,but when!!!!

And with the flight of Russian Bombers,,the 1st since the end of the cold war,,,it is obvious who the Russians will back WHEN it turns ugly!!!!

Remember,,,,George Bush has saida lot of things,,,,"Mission Accomplished"----"Brownie,,your're doing a heck of a job"----"I looked into the soul of Vladimir Putin and I liked what I saw",,one month later the Russian Leader threatens Europe with Nuclear Weapons......

AKA Grammie...........

6. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Grammie, you mean: "I, the Texas Oilman President, looked into the soul of the Russian Natural-Gas Tycoon President...and liked what I saw!"

Two peas in a pod...

7. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

I'm afraid I just don't get it. I know you guys all have PhDs in global economics, but come on.

In Southeastern Michigan, likely one of the most economically hit areas in the country, there is still a video rental store on every corner. At virtually any time you are within a mile of a $4.00 cup of Starbucks coffee. And from the unchanged traffic patterns I've noticed nobody seems to be too set back by three dollar a gallon gas prices.

And if I'm not mistaken I recently heard that US unemployment is virtually zero? And that federal tax revenues are at an all time high?

I realize things could certainly be better, and that major change could come tomorrow. But it sounds to me like some of you may be overreacting. cls

8. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

you know...it's clinton's fault, of course. LMAO!

9. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Good Lord, recession ? If we were going to have one the price of fuel would have put us there a year ago. Jmho. Bill

10. grammie

grammie TS Member

CLS:

Overreacting??? Nah!!! There was much more being spoken loud and clear when longe range russian Bear Bombers fly into close range of american war games,,,met with a smile,,and behind that smile were these words spoken directly to american from the russians-------"WERE'RE BACK"!!!!!!!! The rise in oil prices has allowed Russia to re-invest in their military,,,,,and they have done so,,,heavily....

George Bush is chomping at the bit to reach out and strike Iran,,,,Iran is being supplyed by both the Russians and the Chinese,,,which they then in turn support hezbollah,,hamas,,and direct aide to those in Iraq,,,,I did not say "ground invasion" but instead 'limited air strike',,,the ground invasion would be needed later......

A strike on Irans oil facilitys would cripple world output immediatly,,,and of course the world markets would react,,,,and when you consider the BILLIONS of dollars the fed "injected" into the market recently,,followed by the same in Europe,,,,,100 dollar oil might be on the low side,,,,it all depends on what Iran does to "trip" the rules of engagment that permits a "cruise missle type response"....

Georgie isn't at "home on the ranch for nothing"!!!!!

AKA Grammie...........

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

We have had a very strong economy for many years and there is little doubt that we are poised for a recession. After that recession we will go through another strong cycle followed by another recession. Our economy has had up and down cycles beginning in 1607 and there is no reason to expect the pattern to change. The up and down cycles are somewhat independent of the political leaders. Political leaders have little power to stop an economic downturn. Some who have not studied the depression of the 1930's will believe that a President ended this cycle. It is sad that they have little understanding of economics.

Pat Ireland

12. antique

antique TS Member

510 squads of 200 singles yesterday cost $100.00 no recession there.jim

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

This forum and the people using same should stick to what they think they know, not national and/or global economics.

Grammie is right about one thing....the fecal matter will hit the fan in regards to Iran.......

Oil will go to $100.00 per barrel.....

But due to corruption within the Russian businesses, it's doubtful their bombers will make it to the end of the runway....

Housing/Mortgage markets are just realigning back to a normal state.....builders built too many houses/units....lenders got greedy and are now paying for their transgressions....you just don't lend money to "Ninja's"

Curt

14. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

The only reason that there is no unemployment is because everyone is working two jobs to make ends meet! Inflation is NUTS even though the government says its low. Sure is some creative math. It's going to get real bad before it gets better! Those of you who say there is no problem need to get your heads out of your ......

Steve

15. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

I used to wonder if something as "small" as subprime could really hurt the overall economy.

Then, I remembered our economy going into a tailspin a few years back, because of something executed by rag-heads on a couple square blocks of real-estate in the bottom end of Manhattan...so hey, who's to say?

When bankers are miserable, they have a way of making everybody miserable. "When mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

16. boneman

boneman TS Member

I never thought I would say this, so Grammie don't take offense. I agree with you 100%. I guess most people don't appreciate your direct ways but when your right your right. Thank you Larry

17. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I believe some of you are surely overreacting. As has been previously posted...unemployment is at almost record lows and the Fed isn't considering raising rates but LOWERING them. Yes the market is correcting itself from the buy now, pay much more later mortgages. There will be up cycles and down cycles. The only sure bet in the market is that things will change. It's the only way to make profits.

Grammie, if you're worried about the Russians you'd better go live in a hole. The Russians are in such terrible shape they've never even been able to bake a passable loaf of bread. Their economy is in ruins. They have no way to get their oil out of the ground. If they did why didn't they capitalize on the (supposed)oil crunch and price run-up in the 70's?

The President SHOULD be talking smack to the Iranians. They threaten not only the U.S. but the whole world. Better than the Democrats wanting to have tea and crumpets the slimey slugs. If Jimmy Carter would have given them a cruise missle enema we probably wouldn't be in this situation. They only respond to force and strength. Talking and pacifying only tells them we are weak and afraid.

No, a depression is highly unlikely, a mild recession is a slight possibility. Am i going to change anything I do? Not likely. Am I going to run around like chicked little? Not a chance. Am I going to post with alot of exclamation points! Never.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

18. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Last "Stock Market" correct was in 2003.....

Remember the natural law of physics...for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction...

Stay with what you know....

Curt

19. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

If anyone thought that the real estate and home building markets weren't going to dip badly, they must be smoking the wacky stuff.

It is impossible to sustain the growth in the housing market that people thought. Banks were lending 125% of purchase price, financing closing costs, offering rates below the true cost of money, and lending money to folks who were maxed out on credit cards. Are people surprised that sub-prime mortgagors bellied up? Housing values never move upward in a straight line, and over time, they have never gone up in the values that banks and home builders would have you believe.

Someone should have used Alan Greenspan's quote "irrational exuberance" to describe housing.

The market always fills in the gaps. Whether its the stock market, the housing market, or the money market, reality is always just down the road.

20. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

any fool can spend more than he/she makes. That rule if not followed will always get you in trouble. I worked two jobs for several years and there are more jobs out there than you can count now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.