1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

US Post Office

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cpd544, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cpd544

cpd544 Member

I want to ship a shotgun with hard case via US Post Office. Does it require any special packaging or does the Post Office have and requirments other than a secure cardboard box? I am not a FFL. Any help or suggsetions would be appreciated.
    Jim

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Check the above link for the size of your package, there's a limit on overall dimensions.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The PO has raised the rates. Fed Ex and UPS are much cheaper now. I just shipped a rifle to Va from ID. Usps wanted 52.00 with ins. Fed Ex did it for less than $21. Up to this point I used USPS exclusively. UPS damaged two guns for me, never again. A few months ago I offered a scanner on here free for shipping chgs. The guy who responded first gave me his business acct # at Fed Ex, they billed him direct and it was only $15 across country and it was big and heavy. Guess I need to get an acct

4. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I've shipped many shotguns in cases via USPS without any problems.

You might look at registered mail as it is about as secure a common shipping method as exists today. The insurance rates are therefore less so quite often registered will be less that priority mail plus insurance. You can check that out at usps.com. Be aware however that registered mail cannot have plastic tape, must have a tape that will absorb ink, like paper tape (Staples has it)

I have never had the pricing experience that cubancigar2000 has. I generally find that registered mail insured is the most secure and the cheapest way to ship a gun of value. But compare apples to apples and see what your results are. Also package it like you own it because you probably do until it is delivered. And that applies to all carriers.

Bob

5. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Don't use registered usps. Just has a gun shipped from Maryland to Texas and it took over three weeks. The kicker is the po had no idea where it was and even said it had to be lost and started the insurance claim process. Showed up that same day. Go figure and the government wants to run my health care but can't even run the po.
    Jimmy

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Go to your local Fed Ex hub and open a commercial account. It costs nothing, you give a credit card #, and get a discount. When you get your card with the account #, it seems you get better service and less drama as well.

7. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

UPS is the only way to ship a long gun. Full disclosure tracking and guaranteed delivery dates. Like any other carrier make sure you pack it well and make sure it can not move inside the box. And make sure you insure it for full price. The usps would be my last choice and i mean last choice. They are another government beaurocracy that has failed miserably on a lot of fronts.

8. kenf

kenf Active Member

If you are shipping the gun to an FFL, I have found it helpful to take the copy of the FFL license into the UPS Store or Hub. Usually, there is someone there who knows what is going on with shipping a gun and any hassle ends there. The last gun I shipped was to a car dealership address. That was the address on the license.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The UPS crushing machine has suppied a few nice horror stories on this site.

I have used USPS for a long time with no problems.

Fedex is ok too. Anything but the brown bomber.

HM

10. 1oz

1oz Member

Used USPS for a long time then 2 items in a year were lost or stolen . The 1 that was insured the post office lost the paper work for the lost claim GO Figure. I can tell ya horror stories from all of them but only 1 that lost the item then the paper work for to claim . Now my PO was not very helpful and fast for trying to make good . I had to wait awhile before filling a lost claim took about 2-3 months to correct.

11. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Yea, but with my usps registered mail shipped gun only had one signature on it's whole journey.
    Jimmy

12. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I shipped a gun home via Priority to myself at my work address in NH from Alaska after the State shot this July, shipped it on a Thursday afternoon, it arrived in NH on Tuesday in perfect condition. UPS blathered on about having to ship to an FFL, wouldn't listen at all, finally walked out and went to the Post Office.

13. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Keep in mind the government beaurocracy known as the usps is not held to the same set of laws private shippers are. UPS and FEDEX are mandated federal laws that the usps does not follow on firearms shipments. I will take my chances every day of the year with a private shipping company than with a government failure. You be your own judge. INSURANCE AND PACKAGING ARE THE KEY. Most things that get damaged are because someone does not take the time to pack things well. They throw things in a box and call it good. Then when it makes it 99% of the time they think it's good enough only to cry like a baby when it catches up with them on a future shipment. Typical American response. It is always someone elses fault. Pack it right and insure it and ther will be NO problems.

14. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

We just used the USPS to ship the K80 Combo that was won in our National Clay Sports Foundation Raffle. FedEx want over $330.00 with $15,000 insurance. USPS sent it registered for $112.00. Anything with over $5,000 insurance has to go registered. It took about one week from CA to MI. Registered has to have paper tape.

15. andybull

andybull Active Member

I just shipped a Perazzi from MIA to Texas via FedEx, I wanted to ship it third day air, when I told the clerk it was a shotgun he said the computer showed it had to be shipped priority overnight, since it was a firearm.

I don't trust Brown anymore and the USPS is a joke, when you try to track the item.

Andy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.