1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

US Open Sparta, Il From Southern Promotions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ron S/IL, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron S/IL

Ron S/IL TS Member

Hello from Southern Promotions Inc. I'm Ron Stork one of the owners of Southern Promotions Inc. My other partner is Curt Jeffers. We have no other partners. With that said, we Co Sponsored and or co-partnered this event with the IDNR. In addition White Flyer, Winchester, Browning and Remington were working with and coordinating their efforts with the IDNR. We are thankful for their help in what ever fashion they participated.

I want to thank each and every Shooter, vendor and spectator that "Shot Sparta". I also wish to thank the IDNR for allowing us to Partner with them for this event.

Our roll was pretty simple. We were to provide the personel to run this shoot. The IDNR provided the Tournament Director and their employees to do the work loading the trap houses and the grounds issues. I think they did a great job. The tournament director was David Cassens. I personally think that Dave did a great job. We had a few curve balls tossed at us and he took the time to explain what the situation was and we discussed the remedies available. I personally want to thank him for the time he spent with me, discussing what and how we were going to try and do things. Quite frankly he had a green horn to work with and he was training me and my people from the ground up. We did have a lot of local people that worked this event for us that had worked last years events. We thank them for their help.

Most of you readers of this forum know a lot more than I ever will know about running a shoot. A lot of you readers have run bigger shoots than this. As my first shoot from the other side of things, I had and still have a lot to learn. I am working on that issue.

I want to thank everyone that offered help and that offered ideas in what ever fashion it was presented. I'm a big boy and when I got my butt chewed I can tell you that they didn't get a virgin. I was able to meet some of you even if in just passing. I do sincerly appreciate the many kind works of encouragement that we received. As many of you know, we were on the trap line trying to address the issues.

As I understand the presquading of events we had a lot bigger turn out than normal. I will say that I was pretty discouraged on Monday with the number of presquads that we had. Fortunatly you shooters supported us and this event in grand style.

I hope to see all of you at our next shoot.

We simply say thanks!

Ron

2. PerazziMX2000

PerazziMX2000 TS Member

I am sure this was a learning experience for you,for the most part this was a great shoot(shot all 4 days) and hopefully will grow in the future,I will continue to support this shoot in the future,because I am sure you have learned lessons to help this shoot move smoothly,This shoot has the potential to be one of the premier events of the year but only time will tell.

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Hi Ron, can you advise how many shooters attended? -Frank C

4. william miller

william miller TS Member

I ran monthly shoots for several years, as well as worked at state shoots in more than my home state, and zone shoots. I can tell you from this experience that each shoot, I found room for improvement. I also attended the entire shoot and thought that you did a good job; and anyone who is critical has probably never put a shoot on. I think it was a brave venture to take on the task of a large shoot for getting your feet wet. Sparta has a wonderful facility and I am sorry that the ATA didn't want this shoot or a fall shoot. To have this nice facility and use it for the Grand only seems foolish. I have heard so many complain about motel facilities, but Vandalia took a long time to grow; so give this a chance. If we as ata members do not support it; we have no one to blame but ourselves if it fails. Don't let negative feedback keep you from attempting this again. You have a top notch facility and like anything else; it can always be improved.

5. william miller

william miller TS Member

I ran monthly shoots for several years, as well as worked at state shoots in more than my home state, and zone shoots. I can tell you from this experience that each shoot, I found room for improvement. I also attended the entire shoot and thought that you did a good job; and anyone who is critical has probably never put a shoot on. I think it was a brave venture to take on the task of a large shoot for getting your feet wet. Sparta has a wonderful facility and I am sorry that the ATA didn't want this shoot or a fall shoot. To have this nice facility and use it for the Grand only seems foolish. I have heard so many complain about motel facilities, but Vandalia took a long time to grow; so give this a chance. If we as ata members do not support it; we have no one to blame but ourselves if it fails. Don't let negative feedback keep you from attempting this again. You have a top notch facility and like anything else; it can always be improved.

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Please don't be discourage and I don't think you are. I hope you put on many more shoots. Don't judge anything by pre-squad.com as they are still a questionmark and only used by a few. You also had the problem of this shoot being canceled and the word didn't get out to everyone that you were putting this on.

Don

7. Ron S/IL

Ron S/IL TS Member

Frank C
    According to the logs we had 705 different shooters that shot.

BIGDON
    I am not discouraged at all. For the most part the shooters have been very kind to me and my Southern Employees. We were fortunate to work with David Cassens, of the IDNR, on this shoot.

When we cut back the banks we were using presquad numbers. Doubling the presquad numbers we still would of had 90% of the shooters on the line at 8:00 am. Based on the presquad numbers we would of been done about noon or before for the entire day. We feared that a lot of shooters would miss the entire shhot at this pace.

Ron
    Southern Promotions Inc.

8. raptor1956

raptor1956 TS Member

Thank you Ron and everyone involved with the US Open I had a great time. Things will only get better with time. The only thing that Sparta needs is a good P.R. person and advertisment. You all did a great job for your first shoot keep up the good work. Agin THANK YOU ALL FOR A GREAT TIME.

9. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Changing the start time to 9 a.m. was a good move, as some mornings the fog was pretty soupy at 8 a.m.
    Tell your announcer to keep his PA speech to a bare minimum. He talked too much while others were trying to shoot. For example, each time he announced the closing of entries for an event, he recited the date, name of event, number of event, sponsor of event, etc. All he need to say was that "Event 2 was now closed".
    Port-a-potties were needed behind the doubles traps.
    Trophies need to be re-evaluated. For a shoot with a comp factor of 4, the championship awards were pretty skinny.
    Events need to flow from one to another with no down time.However, this did get better as the shoot progressed.
    Championship shoot-offs need to be held in front of the grandstands, not 4 fields down from the crowd who stayed to watch. Plenty of time needs to be allowed after being called to a shoot off. If you are in the north or south loop campgrounds, it is hard to get to the shoot off area within the alloted time.

10. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Changing the start time to 9 a.m. was a good move, as some mornings the fog was pretty soupy at 8 a.m.
    Tell your announcer to keep his PA speech to a bare minimum. He talked too much while others were trying to shoot. For example, each time he announced the closing of entries for an event, he recited the date, name of event, number of event, sponsor of event, etc. All he need to say was that "Event 2 was now closed".
    Port-a-potties were needed behind the doubles traps.
    Trophies need to be re-evaluated. For a shoot with a comp factor of 4, the championship awards were pretty skinny.
    Events need to flow from one to another with no down time.However, this did get better as the shoot progressed.
    Championship shoot-offs need to be held in front of the grandstands, not 4 fields down from the crowd who stayed to watch. Plenty of time needs to be allowed after being called to a shoot off. If you are in the north or south loop campgrounds, it is hard to get to the shoot off area within the alloted time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ron stork sparta il

us open sparta il