Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

US OPEN IN SPARTA

4K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  Jason Hassler 
#1 ·
Shot at the US OPEN was really dissappointed didn't seem like they put much
effort in to this shoot? were you there what do you think???????

#3 ·
I was there all 3 day the only things I noctice was they were a little slow to resetting the Targets from Caps to Doubles, just looked like short on help but not bad seen a lot worst. They also had young trap help with little or no experience but after the first event they did very well and we all have to learn sometime

#4 ·
Weather was just as good as you can expect. Warm not hot, breezy but comfortable. Targets were set but needed to be tweaked during the day as the wind picked up. The events started on time and were run in a timely manner, maybe a little to much time between some events, but I really believe things went well otherwise. Turn out was as good as you can expect with all the State Shoots going on and coming up.
Does anyone remember what the total number of Hdcp shooters they had on Sunday, I think I know but not quite sure.

#6 ·
I was there and thought the shoot went great. Sure time between events was a little longer than I like but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. Wind got pretty strong so sure traps needed reset. Good old Mother Nature at her best. How can we complain about the weather though. It was very nice. I think the people that ran the shoot from the guys and gals in registration to the help on the line busted their butts. There is a lot goes on to run a normal shoot and then also have a large group of kids shooting SCTP at the same time on different banks. The young lady that picked out trophies did a great job and I even managed to rustle away a runner up. You won't hear me complain. Great job to all who ran the US Open this year.

#8 ·
Sunday's handicap shows 203 entries, think I read on another thread the overall attendance was up 24% from last year. It's getting there and given a few more years it should be quite a good shoot. I shot two days and found nothing to complain about. Would love to have the same weather during the Grand!

#9 ·
The folks in registration and classification couldn't have been more helpful. The trap help on the traps I shot were great, and I didn't hear any complaints from shooters on other banks. The wind made the targets more than sporting, particularly during doubles and handicaps on Sunday, but that's just luck of the draw. This was a well run shoot that should grow in coming years.

#11 ·
I agree...the folks in Squadding, Classification and Cashiering were great. The weather was fabulous albeit a bit windy. This was my first US Open and I don't plan on missing another. Great event to attend if you haven't yet shot The Grand and you want to familiarize yourself with Sparta without the crowds.

I have one small complaint...the scorekeepers did not have the squad number placards on the back of their chairs. What they did have was small, dry eraser/magic marker boards. Most of the scorekeepers weren't using them and those that were...the writing on them was so small that you couldn't read it unless you were 5 feet away.

So we were constantly having to ask the squad on deck..."What squad is out there shooting now? What squad are you?"

Not a deal breaker but you asked for suggestions.

Where can I go to find out the payout and trophy results?

#12 ·
skydiver,

Glad you came and shot and I agree on on the dry erase squad number boards. They used to have nice large squad number boards. I'm not sure what happened to those but I'm gonna talk to the people who will know.

I'm not sure on your question on the payouts and trophy lists but I do know that Nicky was gonna put the checks in the mail today. They are very prompt on their payout checks.

#13 ·
I didn't go and it's mainly because there's not enough targets to make it worth the resources it would cost for me to go. I went a couple of times several years ago and at that time it was a four day shoot and around 1100 targets which I thought was better. Given the venue I was expecting a larger shoot, it has potential but needs something.

#16 ·
How about making it a shoot where we can get as many teaching Pro's to set up their clinics and run them, continuously, throughout the tournament. It would be up to each pro to offer what ever special or ordinary programs and their fees to attract shooters' desiring to improve their skills.

Shooters could pick and choose who they would like learn from and a menu of each pros' offerings would be printed in the program and everyone would have the opportunity to pre-register for any or all the classes they have time for.

The championship and runners up trophies would be a free clinic from whomever of the pros that they choose.

None of the self proclaimed teaching pro's will compete against the non-teaching amateurs for either moneys or trophies. Perhaps the ATA and the IDNR could put together some added money just for the pro/instructors to shoot some sort of elimination event against each other during a nightly exhibition......WINNER TAKES ALL!

This program would take many of the pro's out of the amateur money....allow the pro's to make clinic/classes money and a great opportunity promote themselves their products and their clinics.

The exhibition "Pro Shoot Off" will provide great entertaiment for the shootoff spectators and give the shoot a more "Carnival" atmosphere.

The amateur shooters would be more insulated from having to shoot against the pros for option money and, hopefully, more amateur shooters would play the options as well.

I'm just spitballing here so I'm sure there are holes in my ramblings. Still, I think it has merit and might stir some interest and break loose more ideas from the TS.COM "Peanut Gallery". Let's hear some more ideas!!!!!!

#20 ·
riggs,

So are you gonna tell us what/why you were so disappointed? Can you elaborate on your statements above so those in charge know how to correct the issues? I noticed in the past you also have harsh words of the IL State shoot as well. Is there a shoot that has pleased you?

#21 ·
I agree with the positive comments already made. Would like to add for the number of shooters per event there were far more then the average number of trophies to be won. They also set pretty dang nice targets considering there was a breeze each day. The grounds looked great, the help was very helpful and friendly.

Very good shoot,

Mark Zauhar

#24 ·
skydiver,

I know my 91 didn't pay. Call Nicky Christian from the IDNR at 217-782-6752. She handles the checks and should be able to get you the info you seek or at least point you in the right direction. The list was posted by the scores Sunday before I left but all I looked at was my score.

#26 ·
Folks at the Illinois state shoot told me today that the 2012 U.S. Open was up in attendance by quite a bit. There were 75+ squads which would put it up about 30% over last year. That's not saying a lot because last year was not well attended.....but it's the right direction and confirms the increases seen elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.