1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

US OLYMPIC TRAPSHOOTERS WIN GERMAN GOLD MEDALS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Allen Chubb, Jun 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allen Chubb

Allen Chubb Active Member

In the spirit of passing on positive information and news to the supporters of Olympic Trapshooting in America, you will be proud to know that the U.S. Trapshooters will bring home Gold Medals from Germany this weekend.

The U.S. Team of Casey "Jake" Wallace from near Los Angles, California, Guy Avedisian of Ocala, Florida and Allen Chubb of Elizabethville, Pennsylvania won the Team Gold Medal at the "Silberne Patronen" German Grand Prix Championship in Thannhausen, Bavaria, Germany. The Silver Medal went to the German Team, while the Bronze Medal went to Luxembourg. This was the first U.S. Team Gold Medal ever captured at this event in it's (33) year history.

The individual Gold Medal was won by U.S. Shooter Allen Chubb (188 X 200), while the Silver Medal was taken by Norbert Weber from Munich, Germany (187 x 200) and the Bronze was secured by fellow U.S. Shooter Jake Wallace (186 x 200). The event was hampered by both rain and changing light conditions, not to mention some mechanical problems, which greatly lengthened the competition days from a start time of 7:00AM to the finish time of 9:00PM. I was fortunate enough to be the first American to ever win this event as well and in turn I was awarded a beautiful solid silver shotgun shell in a very handsome presentation box.

Part of the U.S. Team now travels onto the Beretta Gold Cup in Lonato, Italy, while other portions of the team will travel onto the Swiss Grand Prix in St. Moritz, Switzerland. As soon as we return to the States, I'll download some photos for everyones enjoyment.

Best Regards to all,

Allen Chubb (Thannhausen, Germany)

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

GREAT NEWS and congratulations!!! Thanks for the post.

3. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Way to go gentlemen. Good luck in Italy and Switzerland

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Is this the same Jake Wallace who shoots at Oak Tree, CA.? Fred

5. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Hip Hip Hooray! Good for all of you. Congratulations.

6. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Allen - congratulations to you and the team. My son and I know Jake and he is a fine young man and an incredible talent - look for big things from him over the next decade. I look forward to seeing the pictures. And thanks for promoting the sport domestically and abroad.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Makes me wish I was young again. (sigh)

GREAT SHOOTING.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Way to go Allen!! Congratulations on being the first American to win gold at this event! Kudos to your team mates as well. Hap

9. Allen Chubb

Gentlemen,

Thanks so much for your kind comments and messages of congratulations. On behalf of the other team members, I would like to thank each one of you and tell you that it is a real pleasure to represent the United States at these events. I can assure you all that we conducted ourselves in a manner befitting citizens of the greatest country to ever grace the face of this planet. We have brought great honor to this nation and the men and women whom have fought and died perserving our freedoms. The Red, White and Blue flew proudly over Germany this past weekend.

On a more interesting level for the readers of this thread, I know that a lot of talk has been generated over the guns shot by OT shooters. Here is a breakdown of the top (6) competitors gun shot in this Grand Prix event. They are as follows:

1st Place (My Gun): Perazzi MX-2000 / 30" barrels / 1.585 kg barrel weight / Bottom Barrel #7 choke (Improved Modified Choke Tube) / Top Barrel #10 Fixed (Full) / Rib 11 x 11mm (Flat) / Bead; (1) White Front Blade / Point of Impact; 50-50 / Stock; Monte Carlo Custom Adjustable W/Rubber Comb and right hand palm swell (SCO Grade Wood) / Comb Pitch, 32mm front & 31mm Rear / Length of Pull; 14 3/8" / Fore-end; Thin & Slightly Tapered to the front (SCO Grade Wood) / Total Gun Weight = 3.98 kg (8.756 lbs.) / Cartridges; Clever T4 Mirage Pro Extra 24 Gram plastic hulls in both barrels / Average Rounds per kill; 1.125 (Average of 3 Second Barrels Kills Per 25 Targets) / Average Kills Per 100 targets; 94 / Hold Point; Slightly Above The Bunker Roof Mark (6") / Competitors Age; 49 / Years of Experience in Olympic Trap; 29.

2nd Place: Perazzi MX-8 / 30" Barrels / Flat Rib / Competitors Age 32

3rd Place: Perazzi MX-2000 / 30' Barrels / Flat Rib / Competitors Age 17

4th Place: Perazzi MX-8 / 30" Barrels / Flat Rib / Competitors Age 62

5th Place: Rizzini / 30" Barrels / Flat Rib / Competitors Age Approx. 40

6th Place: Kreighoff / 30" Barrels / Flat Rib / Competitors Age Approx. 40

I hope this information helps all you bunker gun technology guys. I wish I had more information about the other competitors guns, but this should give you all something to chew on for a while.

We're now in Italy and we begin training tomorrow afternoon for the Beretta Gold Cup this weekend. The event will be 150 targets shot over two days (75 Each Day). The expected turn out is 425 competitors shot over (9) bunkers at Tiro A Volo Trap Concaverde, Lonato, Italy near Brescia.

Once again, thanks to all that replied and I'll pass your congratulation wishes onto the other team members.

Best Regards,

Allen Chubb (Desenzano Del Garda, Italy)

10. Custer

Custer Member

Allen! I appreciate all the info on the guns used by the OT shooters, very interesting reading as I now have a good idea what to look for in buying my next gun, Custer

11. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

you want to see a beautiful trap range - click on the link above, click on the link for "servizi" at top of page and double click on the picture on the right - you should get a blow up of an aerial view of the range at Lonato.

spec-frigging-tacular (technical term)

click on gallery for additional photos - just gorgeous.

i cannot imagine 400 + shooters at an international trap event - awesome.

12. Allen Chubb

Gentlemen,

We went down to train on the future World Cup ranges at Tiro A Volo Serravalle, Republic of San Marino. This is about a (4) hour drive from the Brescia area, but it was well worth the ride. The range is first class and they've made a lot of improvements since we were last there two years ago. They added a fourth bunker as well as a 50 meter high wall in front of the bunkers in a bowl shape. They should have all the construction done by sometime next month. The only real big job is putting the green tarp over the berm/wall. After that, it's smooth sailing. We shot well and we experienced shooting bunker at night under the lights for the first time. That was an interesting experience and much to our surprise you can see them very well, but you can't use any tinted glasses. We shot well and we finished shooting at 11:05pm. Luckily we ate dinner before we went out to the range, because it was an all night affair.

We also stopped at the Mattarelli plant in Bologna on our way to San Marino. They're factory in only a few kilometers off the A14 Autostrada and it was really easy to find, not to mention tremendously informative. We had the great fortune to met Mr. Ennio Mattarelli (1964 Olympic Gold Medalist in Tokyo). What a nice gentlemen and even at the age of (80) he still travels down to his farm in Botswanna, Africa to hunt big game (Cape Buffalo, Leopards, etc.). His three daughters run the day to day operations and they gave us the royal treatment to say the least. This machinery is some of the finest in the World and it's simplicity is "Genius". You can literally change the main leaf spring on one of their machines in (10) seconds. Top shelf people producing a top shelf product.

Tomorrow is the last day of training before the Beretta God Cup begins on Saturday. The event is 150 targets with (75) targets each day. They are cutting the entries off at (400). Could you ever imagine seeing (400) Olympic Trapshooters at a match in America? Wow, only in Italy. We head back on June 17th from Munich, so this is our last event. To date we've shot over 2,200 Olympic Clay Targets in (20) days on (10) world class ranges in (4) nations with the longest drive being (5) hours. Between tomorrows training and the weekend match, we'll crush at least another (300) targets to bring our final total in around 2,500. Needless to say, when we get home the gun will get put in the corner for a while in order to enjoy a well deserved rest.

Best Regards from Desenzano Del Garda Italy,

Allen Chubb

13. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Allen - what do you figure the match/target fees ran you this trip?

I assume you purchase ammo as you travel to each site, what is ammo running per flat (10 boxes of 25)?

How many in your travelling party this time?

My son and I are so envious of your annual adventure. What a pleasant way to spend a month.

14. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

I wonder if you can get a solid silver shotgun shell (trophy) threw security at the air port. D Winter

15. Allen Chubb

ffwildcat,

The competition fees very greatly. The match at the French Grand Prix was 80 Euros ($124) for 125 targets. The German Grand Prix was 110 Euros ($171.00) for 200 targets and the Beretta Gold Cup will be 144 Euros ($223) for 150 targets. I checked the Beretta Gold Cup program and top prize is a 682 Gold plus 1,000 Euros ($1,550). They are also giving away (4) A391's and the payout in each category goes down to 40th place, so (160) shooters will get money back. The lowest payout is 120 Euros ($186). The training rounds average between 4.50 to 6.00 Euros ($7.00 - $9.30) depending on the range. When we got to Bern, Switzerland to train they were charging 16 Swiss Francs or $15. Needless to say, we didn't shoot to many rounds there. We had a little sticker shock at that range.

We are purchasing ammo in Italy and taking it to the various events, because the ammo prices here are cheaper than any other place. We've been purchasing the Clever T4 Pro Extra and the Clever T4 Bol D'or. Both of these cartridges are Clever's best cartridges. The cost per flat is 51 Euros or $79.00. It's about the same as in the States or maybe just a bit cheaper.

We have (5) shooters in our party with one spouse. As I stated previously two of our group went up to Switzerland for the Swiss Grand Prix, while three of us came down to Italy for the Beretta Gold Cup.

Old Doc,

I plan to put the Silver Cartridge in my check baggage. Putting that thing in my carry one bag would cause people to have epileptic seizures at the Munich Airport to say the least.

Best Regards from Desenzano Del Garda Italy,

Allen Chubb

16. Allen Chubb

Gentlemen,

We're back in the U.S. now and as promised I've attached a copy of the podium photo at the awards ceremony of the 2008 Silberne Patrone German Grand Prix in Thannhausen (Bavaria), Germany on June 7th & 8th. From left to right, Norbert Weber (Silver Medal - Germany), Allen Chubb (Gold Medal - USA) and Casey "Jake" Wallace (Bronze Medal - USA). I'll post the USA Gold Medal Team photo next.

Best Regards,

Allen Chubb

17. Allen Chubb

Gentlemen,

Attached is the team photo for the 2008 Silberne Patrone German Grand Prix. From left to right: Germany (Silver Medal), USA (Gold Medal) and Luxembourg (Bronze Medal). The members of the U.S. Team were Guy Avedisian, Casey "Jake" Wallace and Allen Chubb. Once again, this was the first Team Gold for the United States since this championship started in 1972.

You'll also be happy to know that the U.S. Team defended their 2007 title at the 2008 "Sonnenpreis" Swiss Grand Prix in St. Moritz, Switzerland this past weekend and brought home the Gold Medal once again.

The highest U.S. finisher in the Beretta Gold Cup event in Lonato, Italy was myself, coming in 18th place out of 320 competitors. Unfortunately, I contracted a virus before the event and was running a low grade fever and suffering from stomach cramps. The first day was below standard, but I managed to pull myself up from 46th position to 18th on the final day. I have no excuses because I should have performed better, but I gave it my best effort considering the conditions.

In total our team members brought home (2) Team Gold Medals, (1) Individual Gold Medal as well as (1) Individual Bronze Medal. It was a very successful trip to say the least. We look forward to going back over again next year to represent the USA.

Best Regards,

Allen Chubb

18. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Congratulation, Congratulation A job well done, and thank you for your promotion of the sport....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.