1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

US Air Pilots Gun Discharge???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Frank C, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

We all heard about the discharge of a pilots gun in the cockpit a few weeks ago, but what I have NOT seen yet is the reason for the discharge. I just read an article that explained that he is required to "stow" and "unstow" the firearm several times during the flight, and that the gun is req'd to be kept in some sort of holster with a "built in" trigger lock or tab in back of the trigger. However it also mentioned that the gun can come loose in the holster and have the "tab" end up in front of the trigger, if so, the trigger lock may have caused the discharge. I have said all along that a trigger lock is a recipe for disaster..in Massachusetts, ALL new guns MUST be sold with a trigger lock(you are not allowed to bring your own)...I wonder if we will EVER see the real reason reported....I doubt it however, the Press will continue to smokescreen and just make it look like armed pilots are not a good idea.

Mass Law Reads.... "M.G.L. c. 140, § 131K requires that any firearm or large capacity weapon sold within the Commonwealth must be sold with a safety device designed to prevent the discharge of such weapon by unauthorized users. The following safety/locking devices have been approved by the Colonel of the Department of State Police as complying with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 140, § 131K: "

Anybody see an article with more info???

2. alpine

alpine TS Member

I have seen the holster that TSA requires. It is an accident waiting to happen. A nickels worth of common sense will tell you that this abomination was designed to fail. The fact that only one Accidental Discharge has taken place with this system is a miracle.

3. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Why do pilots need guns? The monkeys that work at TSA will keep us safe :)

Take your shoes off please...

4. mdk3280

mdk3280 TS Member

A story in the Charlotte Observer, dated 4/3, states the gun discharged while the pilot was attempting to engage the "in holster lock" required by TSA regulations - lock apparantly got in front of trigger instead of behind it.

The second link, below, shows pictures of the hold the 40 call slug put in the cockpit and skin of the plane

http://www.charlotte.com/breaking_news/story/564251.html

http://www.denverpost.com/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRelationshipId=1883475

5. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Gotta love it.....a bunch of Ostriches.....from the paper article

"Case said not to suggest problem in program"

It'll only be a "problem" after a plane crashes because of the next "accidental" discharge, of course THEN it'll be the guns fault or the Pilot's fault and that'll end armed pilots....sigh....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.