1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

urnine spots/dog-lawn

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tcr1146, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Okay boys, here is another chance for all the stand up comedians! I have a 11 month old Lab that still does not lift his leg to whiz! His urine is killing or wiping out my lawn! Does anyone have a real method that works to salvage these areas without resodding, etc! I found a material using Google which is called "Spot-Gone" which supposedly fixes this problem! Has anyone tried it or do you have other advice that will work? Thanks, Tom Rhoads

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The good news Tom is that the spots do regrow but you get too much green (too much N) which is almost as bad as the brown spots. I'll bet your boy will start marking territory soon then the spots will be along the fence and not really a problem. If you can, bring another adult male dog into the yard and let him mark up the perimeter. This will be an incentive for your guy to reclaim his yard by remarking. In the mean time, dilution is a solution. Soak the heck out of the brown spots to wash away that ammonia.

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

What the Hell is "urnine"? If your dog doesn't lift his leg, he's probably gay. Give him to a Skeeter.

Tron

4. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Whoops! Thanks Tron! Now, any more comedians as Tron got us a good start! Tom Rhoads

5. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

If you're feeding a puppy food, it's higher in protein than adult foods and this contributes to the excessive nitrogen in his urine. High quality dog food has a better protein balance than the cheapo stuff and it causes less nitrogen production. If you can watch were he urinates, sprinkle a little garden lime or gypsum on the area then pour a quart-or-so of water on the spot. The lime will help neutralize the ammonia and the water will dilute it. A pizza toppings shaker or any shaker container with large holds woks well for the lime. You might even try making "lime water" by adding about a 1/4 cup of lime to a gallon of water and using that to wash the spots.

Don't waste money on commercial products; water and garden lime work just as well.

Carol Lister

6. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

If you put garden lime in your pizza shaker, do NOT keep it in the spice cabinet. Might make your pizza taste funny and probably burn you mouth!!

Mike

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Doggie diapers? Don't worry, the neighbors won't notice.

8. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

If you're a pill person, buy a bottle of brewer's yeast tablets at any health food store or ag supply store. Give the dog a tablet occasionally as a treat. They alter the pH of the urine and most dogs love them. You could put a teaspoon of brewer's yeast powder on the dogs meal; it's already an ingredient in dry dog food (the best kind) but it's there for flavor and not to reduce urine nitrogen. Check with your vet.

Carol Lister

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

sprinkle lime generously on the effected areas.

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Just get out there and show him how he's supposed to do it.

I'm sure he will be a fast learner. If not, just keep demonstrating the method until he learns it. Shouldn't take over 6 months or so. ;)

Hauxfan!

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Walk him on your neighbors lawn and let them worry about the brown spots ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. too fast

too fast TS Member

I read somewhere that putting tomato juice in the dogs food would neutralize the acid in the urine which causes the brown spots. Not sure as to the amount, think it's trial and error. Good luck!

Jim

13. omgb

omgb Banned User Banned

Now if only I could find a way to keep my urine from burning the lawn....

14. ricks1

ricks1 Active Member

Well there is someone on here that does know something Carol is right on, the food is the problem. Kind of hard to watch a dog. Tron dont have that problem you can smell where the cat has been