1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Urbandale gun club,ohio new owner revitalized

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by motordoctor, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

had not been there for awhile, really run down. well the new owners took over and already i see an improvement. they cut the grass, edged the sidewalks, took down the old trees and wall by the skeet fields, cleaned out the junk from the trap houses, regraded the road and filled the holes, plan a pancake breakfast on sunday, getting the traps repaired, talked about building a rifle range, picnic pavilion and playground, looking at voice calls. Really interesting. You guys that have gone away might think about going back. I'llbe back again and see how they are doing. Lots of work for only being the new guys on the block for a couple of days or a week. motordoc.

2. Powerhouser

Powerhouser TS Member

We've been shooting there for the last couple years. MotorDoc is right. The transformation is pretty impressive. The new owners have really been working hard at cleaning the place up. They have alot of plans to get the reputation of the place back up to snuff. They have the trap fileds throwing really nice targets and are working hard to get the skeet houses in shape. If you haven't been there in a while, the change will really wake you up. My friends and I will continue to support them every Tuesday. The owners are taking league signups now for the Fall league. Hope all the area shooters will come and take a look.

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Everytime I visited my inlaws I've shot at this club, twenty years or more. It really went down the tubes. The last few times I shot there I asked about voice calls. The lady was not interested in upgrading. I'm glad the new owners are doing something. Every club should have a voice system.

4. chickenlegs

chickenlegs TS Member

who are the new owners ?

5. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Them upgrading things will help a lot. But, the old owners raised the price 3 or 4 times for a crummy place with often pretty bad targets. The new owners don't plan, so far, with getting the price down within reason. When there are 3 or 4 clubs pretty close by where you can practice for $2.50-$3.00 (like Monroe, Vienna and Ashtabula), what shooters who shoot a real lot want to pay $4.50 for practice? Nobody! Now with reloading costs getting out of sight, cost is going to be a bigger factor than ever! The clubs with reasonable costs have a lot of people on practice days for a reason! Nice targets AND a reasonable cost!

I hope the club really blossoms into something big. But all the serious shooters around, many who shoot several thousands per year and could really make them some money, are not going to rush in there yet. I hope them well.

6. AdamsRibs

AdamsRibs TS Member

About 15-20 years ago I was on 'temporary duty' in an Eastern
    suburb of Cleveland, working on a project for my Indiana
    employer. I was there for several months, during which time
    I was able to go out to Urbandale and shoot several evenings.
    As I remember it, the folks were friendly and the facilities
    were in pretty good shape. One evening, one of the members asked if he
    could shoot a few rounds through the gun I had brought along,
    so I let him. After a couple of rounds, the gun would no
    longer close all the way, like it was jammed or something.
    The poor guy was really devastated, he thought he had broken
    my Superposed Browning. And a stranger's gun, to boot! Turns
    out it just had a piece of shot stuck behind the extractor,
    but the guy was sure he was going to have to buy me a new
    gun....... At least, he didn't just hand it back to me and
    blow the whole deal off, he was genuinely concerned.
    Sorry to hear that the Club went downhill, it was a fun place
    to shoot at that time, but glad to hear it is coming back.
    I still have a souvenier ball-point pen from there, and it
    still writes after all this time. Us old folks don't throw
    away nothin'.....

AdamsRibs

7. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Geez, I haven't shot there since the 60's-70's. It was a nice club then. I had heard it had gone down hill lately and decided not to go there. I hope it improves. Todd

8. chickenlegs

chickenlegs TS Member

9. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

Went again today (sunday). place looks good. 2 pancakes, 2 eggs, 2 bacon and 2 rounds of shooting 12.00. not a bad deal. yes it's 4.50 per round but the improvements are there. the targets look good. traps are being rebuilt, grass trimmed, club house cleaned, trees trimmed. The second skeet field has been COMPLETELY torn up and ALL NEW concrete walkways are being installed. The skeet club house has a new door, new electric and is being rebuilt. 2 new skeet traps are being purchased. 2 trap fields will have cantebury voice releases this week. These people are really trying. They also talked about a shelter for picnics and a 200 yard rifle range along with protector and oakley shoots. Give the ghuys a hane and stop back and shoot. Motordoc

10. bill1269

bill1269 TS Member

Can anyone tell me where this is at and give some directions ?

11. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

On RT.528, a few miles south of I-90, Madison, Ohio. At the right hand fork in the Rd. (Ford Rd.) go right and around the bend. You will see the club sitting off to the right way up on a hill. If you go past the white bar on the right on 528, you just went past the fork in the road.

12. bill1269

bill1269 TS Member

Thanks for the direction's. I will give them a try.

13. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Price is 3.00 at our club but we do all the work, loading houses, loading traps between rounds, and repairs when we get a breakdown. I think I would gladly pay extra just to go and shoot. Bill

14. VrKing74

VrKing74 TS Member

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I just want everyone know that we will continue to work hard to bring this club back. As shooters come back to the club you will continue to see improvements. If you haven't been there in a while stop in and see us; I think you'll be happy with the progress.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.