1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Upstate New York

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by turbobike, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turbobike

turbobike Member

Jeff Foxworthy on
    Upstate New York

If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in Upstate New York .

If you're proud that your region makes the national news 96 nights a year because Saranac Lake is the coldest spot in the nation, and Syracuse gets more snow than any other major city in the US , you might live in Upstate, NY.

If your local ice cream stand is closed from October through May, you might live in Upstate New York .

If you get 131 inches of snow in a week and you comment that 'winter's finally here', you might live near Oswego in Upstate New York .

If you instinctively walk like a penguin for six months out of the year, you might live, bundled up, in Upstate New York .

If someone in a Home Depot store offers you assistance, and they don't work there, you might live in Upstate NY.

If your dad's suntan stops at a line curving around the middle of his forehead, you might live in Upstate New York .

If you have worn shorts and a parka on the same day, you might live in Upstate New York .

If you have had a lengthy phone conversation with someone who dialed a
    wrong number, you might live in Upstate New York .

YOU KNOW YOU ARE A TRUE UPSTATE NEW YORKER WHEN:

"Vacation" means going South past Syracuse for the weekend.

You measure distance in hours.

You know several people who have hit a deer more than once.

You often switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day and back again.

You can drive 65 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard, without flinching.

You carry jumper cables in your car and your girlfriend/wife knows how to use them.

You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.

Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow.

You know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter, and road construction.

You can identify a southern or eastern accent.

Down South to you means Corning

You go out for a fish fry every Friday .

Your 4th of July picnic was moved indoors due to frost.

You have more miles on your snow blower than your car.

You find 10 degrees "a little chilly." and 55 is shorts weather.

You actually understand these jokes, send them to all your Upstate New York friends and to those who used to live here and left. -- (chickens).

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Hey! Not much different that across Lake Champlain in Vermont!

Reminds me of when a old Vermont farmer saw some men out in his field, so he went to investigate.

They told him that they were surveyors and rechecking the maps. They told him it seems the old surveys were a bit off! In fact he was not in Vermont ... but was actually in new York State!

He smiled and said "Thank God! Martha said she couldn't stand another Vermont Winter!"

3. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

YUP. I can relate to all of that.

By the way, it's snowin' right now. Small storm, only 4-8" in my part of New York.

Dr. Honk

4. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

Ouch!!! Hitting not just close to home but right on top of it, being we are 60 miles north of "Salt City"!

5. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

We are west of "the Tug", about 3 miles from the lake. Got about 3 inches yesterday & now the white crap is coming again!

6. kingbilly

kingbilly TS Member

bob we got 4-5 inches here in charlotte nc today. whole city is shut down. probly wont plow my street at all. there snow removale program is wait till the sun comes out. bill

7. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Moved from Finger Lakes region of NY last year..

Santee, South Carolina is all ice today, and still coming down as freezing rain...Loblolly pine branches are really hanging, and not a pretty sight.

Guess I could have stayed north for this mess..snow would have been better..LOL

Dave in SC

8. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Dave,

I have lived in the Finger Lakes region for several years before moving to northern VA....parents still live on the west side of Seneca Lake, on 70 acres of prime hunting land......I thought upstate NY was really beautiful in the late spring, summer, and early fall....other than that it's cold, dreary, gray LOL

9. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

After growing up just outside Buffalo...I have determined that all the above statements are true.

Bob

10. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Shot yesterday. 14 degrees and a little wind, but bad for central NY in Jan.

11. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

sernv99 and Bob,

West side of Canandaigua Lake was my home for 61 years...

BEAUTIFUL place, except when I got down here I really found out what BLUE sky was...Sure had me fooled up there, looking through all the polluted air and thinking the sky was blue, now I marvel at the sky every day down here...Returned for 3 months up home last year and really noticed the difference...

No offense Bob, but we all blamed the Buffalo Steel mills some 90 miles to our West...Although without them I wouldn't have worked...(Industrial machine Mechanic for 42 years)

Glad to be rid of the snowblower also LOL

Dave in SC

12. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

I have to tell you guys that I was always a hard core person about living in the north. As I near "the golden years" my opinion is changing rapidly. Every day when it is cold, I wake up with aches & pains that I didn't have the year before. This coupled with having to go out & plow snow on a regular basis is getting the best of me. We are discussing the south as an option, at least for the winter, when we are able to retire. Sunday I shot 100 targets in 18 degrees with a brisk breeze & some snow. Hands got to the point I had trouble holding my release. Problem is we sit on 100 acres of pure sportsman's paradise. I doubt if I can go some where else & have what I have here. Time will tell.

13. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Sounds better than NE Iowa at least you don't have those howling winds coming down from Alaska or the north pole with nothing to slow them down for 1000 miles. Furnaces don't shut off & you can see the propane tank gauge moving from Dec.-Feb. Although when the wind does let up it sure is good ice fishing (Mississippi River) good walleye on main river & panfish back in the sloughs. Moved to Ga. in 86 to get away from that stuff & so today still have 4" snow but it's supposed to melt by the weekend, it DON"T do that in Ia. (chuckle) Ross Puls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.