1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Upset at gun show

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jun 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I enjoy going to gun shows. I saw a dealer go ballistic when he saw one of the people attending the show purchase a gun from someone who had a shotgun in a case walking around from isle to isle.

He went off on the guy who was in charge of the gun show because he said that he purchases tables to buy and sell guns, and than people just walk in and buy and sell without giving dealers a chance.

I have seen this happen before, but what can really be done about it? I do believe it is unfair to the person or persons who purchase a table at a gun show when this happens.

One time, I saw a guy show a 3200 o/u trap grade shotgun to a dealer and he was offered $900.00 for the gun. The owner of the gun a short time later sold the same gun to someone trolling the isles for $925.00 and the person who offered the $900.00 was than very upset.

Do people who purchase tables at gun shows have a legitimate gripe about people attending shows without purchasing a table and then purchasing guns before a dealer has a chance to buy or sell? Can anything be done about it?
    Steve Balistreri
  2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The guy is out of line. And a jerk to boot.

Every person going in the door pays his 5 dollars or so, and there is no restriction on private sales. I sold a pistol about 10 feet from the door going in, last time I went. the guy at the table's wife wanted it.

I would have loved to have been there.

HM
  3. rd

rd TS Member

A dealer pays 70 or 80 dollars for a table and the convenience of selling many guns. An attendee pays the daily fee for being able to sell or trade just a few. This is America. If the tableholders feel it's not a good deal for them, they don't have to participate. I have been in both situations. Our shows in Colorado clearly have rules that allow attendees to sell, trade, or buy from anyone, as long as the proper background check is conducted.
  4. rd

rd TS Member

Colorado law requires background checks for all sales that occur at gunshows. There are several people at each show that do the background checks for the non-dealers for a fee. It has been a thriving situation for all involved for at least 10 years now. It does NOT kill gunshows as we have seen. I think it has actually INREASSED the numbers of tableholders, who do not have to have an FFL.
  5. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I'm sorry but I don't think that an attendee at a show has the same rights as a dealer. Attendees should be able to bring a gun to sell it to a dealer but not to set up shop in an aisle or the men's room and compete with dealers. That's simply not fair. It is like a lunch place or sandwich shop which pays enormous rent and taxes in a large city having a food cart set up on the curb outside his store. I'd be PO'd too - and so would you!
  6. Ross

Ross Active Member

Why would anybody get P.O. at anybody else for selling--trading--swapping anything at a gun show or swap meet????? After all that's why we go to them isn't it????? I have been on both sides of that table at various times & bought and sold from either side, if you don't like the offer (deal) walk away, nobody is twisting your arm. JMO-- Ross Puls
  7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned

I have been to gun shows where a dealer sets up his personal collection and has them priced very high, prospective buyers just keep on walking after viewing the price.

If I am carrying a gun to trade or sell and the guys at the table don't like your price and a guy over hears his offer and he makes a higher offer and close to what I want for it, he gets it,

Gun show table people are a special breed, buy low sell high, just like used car salesmen.

They run down your trade or point out flaws on your vehicle, but don't do it on their own.

It is actually an oppurtunity for both parties, so deal with it.

Or stay home on the porch.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot
  8. Rufus T. Firefly

Rufus T. Firefly TS Member

You guys have got to be kidding me!
  9. War Wagon

War Wagon Member

User 1 I have been a FFL for 32 years. How dare you put me in that bunch ! I have NEVER had problems with the ATF and I welcome them in at any time. I have nothing to hide. I have NEVER screwed anybody over. It sounds like you got a bad deal from somebody and now CRY like a Wisconsin Democrat Peckerheads like you need to GO AWAY ....
  10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Try selling hamburgers in a McDonalds.

hell, try selling your gun in Cabela's.

it's allowed at gunshows, and it's bullshit.
  11. War Wagon

War Wagon Member

Sorry Steve..... I think I got Voter Rage from the 15 Recall elections in this State. Im tired of ppl saying DUMB things.
  12. romie

romie Member

I see your point and I would be upset also but sometimes the guy walking with the gun sells it to the dealer the dealer resales it ten minutes later and makes $500. I sell retail and it takes all types and you are going to loose some.The key is to get the traffic at what ever it cost and deal with the pricks just don't piss anyone off along the way.. those wont come back for sure. I have wanted to give some some customers a peace of my mind gone home tol my wife I hate this prick only to have that very same customer make my day later down the road. FREE ADVISE

Keep your cool don't piss anyone off
    Monty
  13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Banning private sales at gun shows not only is anti-gun, it is anti-capitalist, and it will simply further erode the number of people going to gun shows.

A gun show is where people come to buy and sell guns. That includes everyone.

It is asinine to claim that "divide and conquer" means giving up gun rights to help the police. Divide and conquer is how the anti-gunners split up gun owners and get them to turn on each other.

If you feel private sales (non-FFL) should have a background check. or private sales should be banned, then contact The Brady Campaign and tell them you'd like to help support them in closing the gun show loophole.

If the dealer is upset the guy got a higher price, tough. He should have offered more. That's capitalism, baby.
  14. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I read every response to my thread. I called a friend of mine and told him to look at the responses and he feels that anyone who pays to get in the gun show has the right to purchase a gun from anyone walking the isles.

A year or two ago, I went to a local gun show and that evening I was on TV. Supposedly, the local TV station had a guy with a hidden camera film people at the gun show.

They showed me looking at some guns and put me on TV without me even knowing about it. They also filmed themselves trying to purchase handguns and shotguns and trying to get out of doing any paper work.

Luckily, everyone they spoke to told them paper work would have to be filled out. I do not think it is right for a TV station to come into a gun show under false pretenses and do this type of thing.

Steve
  15. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Pay attention to the advertising of the gun shows.

Most advertisements say, "buy, trade or sale from dealers collectors and private sellers"

The shows in my area encourage it as it has more draw of people, both buyers and sellers.

Gun shows did not originate for, by or on behalf of dealers, they were swap meets by private owners, seeking to reduce their collections.

Over the years they have evolved as a outlet for all comers, and many selling goods are far from related to gun sales, when you see displays for things from beef jerky, nick-knacks, die cast collectables, and jewelry. Many things I don't waste my time looking at.

Chances are more people walk by a dealers table in one afternoon, than walk into his shop in a month, maybe even a year.
  16. spritc

spritc Active Member

In Indiana we can sell guns to other individuals w/o a background check. I have sold many guns to and bought many guns from dealers and individuals at gun shows. If a dealer went-off on me or someone near me, he would have his hands full. I, like many others paid my $12.00 at the door with no restrictions on my activities. However, I will not sell a handgun to an individual unless we do a bill of sale and he/she must have a CCW. After all, this is still the USA, for now anyway, until the Dems get their gun controlling/banning ways.

With that being said, how in the hell can any gun owner be a Democrat/liberal?

Steve
  17. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

What stops a dealer from walking the isles with guns for sale?

I always assumed the prices at a gun show would be reasonable given the venue and the amount of competition but to my surprise I've found nothing but a lot of over priced junk for the most part. If you want to make sales then be competitive or don't complain about someone who is.
  18. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

If the expectations of the show promoters and show exhibitors are only the exhibitors are allowed to sell, then anyone carrying a gun or accessory would be stopped at the door and not allowed into the show, a simple fact, the promoter controls the show floor and the gate.

The moment an attendee carrying anything saleable is allowed onto the show floor, then the show becomes an open market. The exhibitors don't plop money down for exhibitor space without knowing exactly what the rules are, anyone saying otherwise are smoking their socks....................

Almost every gun show I've attened, I've had a sign pinned to the back of my shirt with either something for sale or something wanted. I have bought and sold from both attendee and exhibitors.

Surfer
  19. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

It's the gun show promoter that sets the rules. I've been to some shows where you had to buy a table if you wanted to sell your gun or guns. Others allow anyone that pay's at the door to buy or sell as long as they comply with state and federal law. Everyone knows the rules before the show opens. So, if the promoter allows individual sales without the purchase of a table, then the dealers that do buy tables should just suck it up and accept the terms of the show.

Lately the shows I've been to have all been way over priced on most things, especially guns. The local gun shops all run sales before and during the gun shows as well and usually under sell the gun shows anyway. I enjoyed the gun shows more when it was primarily just guns being sold. I really don't have a need for cammo baby clothes, home made chocolate pretzels, or earrings made from pheasant feathers.
  20. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Active Member

What does and will hurt gun shows are the many of the unlicensed "dealers" selling multiple handguns either in a gun show or out in the parking lot at a gun shows. These people generally could care less about background checks, in-state allowed sales, etc.

In the last two years we have had a local unlicensed "dealer" sell one or more handguns to a convicted escaped felon from Colorado at a gun show. This individual selling the handguns had been warned by the ATF that he needed to get a license. He didn't and continued to sell large numbers of firearms. The pistol(s) sold to the felon were used by the felon to kill local police Sgt. Tim Chapin in a botched robbery attempt. The ATF traced the pistols to the unlicensed dealer and set up a sting on him. They bought over 20 pistols from him and eventually busted him after this "dealer" bought a full-auto weapon from them. These are the type of people that need to be weeded out at gun shows.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.