1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

UPS or Fed Ex: Which way to ship?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by michmoe, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

I have a new gun that needs to be sent back to have warranty repair work done.I have been told that its easier and less costly to Fed Ex it rather then UPS it.I have no experiance Fed Exing anything and was wondering if someone could tell me if it is indeed the better way to ship and what I need to do to go about it.Thanks in advance...Hugo "Moe" Rinke

2. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

I refuse to ship anything via UPS, and much prefer FedEx. I have found their rates to be much cheaper, especially when shipping expensive guns that require a considerable amount of insurance. My packages have always arrived at the destination in the same shape as when they were sent,I can't say the same for UPS shipments I have witnessed. The tracking information provided by FedEx is always up to date when tracking your shipment also. Hope this helps. Garrett

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

FED-EX has been "erry, berry gud two me"...

4. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Over 20 years of problems with UPS. Only Fed Ex now. Period! Walnutmaker

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I much prefer FedEx. UPS is a waste of time and money. If you are not a business with an established account, your local UPS store may decline to ship a gun. Neither of the two stores near me will do so, because they say their losses (as in stolen guns) are too high. Dealing with UPS to get a claim for lost items paid is the only thing more frustrating and tedious than dealing with Verizon for telephone problems.

BTW, FedEx may only insure your gun if you send it air. Make sure to check before you choose a shipping method. It's in the fine print, so ask to be sure.

doggai, the 2-day USPS "guarantee" is a joke. You will never, ever get your money back when they miss that window. I once sent some wads to Bod Dodd in OR via Priority mail. He got them over a month later. That being said, I ship lots of things via Express and Priority mail and nothing has been lost. Cannot say the same for UPS.

6. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I will only use the PO, but if it gets lost or stolen, you MUST prove what you paid for that item or NO insurance claims will be paid. Larry Evans

7. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

I have been an outspoken believer in FedEX - - - until I recently discussed shipping a barrel for CTs and other work . The vendor's rep told me that should a claim be necessary due to damage in shipment , it would be a very difficult task to get the FedEX to honor its promise . I was advised that if I did elect to use FedEX , I should save the cost of additional insurance because of the high probabiliy that FedEX would find some way to wiggle out .

Because of challenges with the other shippers , I am at a loss as to who will be my next carrier .

Charlie

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

All package carriers will give you a hard time on collections for damage. Extra insurance usually helps. Fed Ex is the lowest cost and the best right now. Your best insurance against damage is better than adequate packaging. Good luck.

9. Craig12

Craig12 TS Member

I prefer Fedex for everything. I hear the unions are really going after them hot. If that happens they will end up just like UPS

10. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

fed ex works great.you can set up an account on the internet and print the shipping label at home. charge it on your credit card and all you have to do is drop it off at a local fed ex office, office max or kinko's or just give it to the driver. makes it really easy to ship

11. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Fed Ex could only hope to be like UPS. A fortune 500 company and voted best ltl carrier for like 25 years in a row. The best tracking in the industry and handles millions more packages a year than Fed Ex. With that said I have nothing bad to say with my experience with either company. Now the post office is a different story. Heck they can't even function without losing money nor can they track anything in a resaonable time frame if even at all. Just think how much they would lose yearly if they offered what UPS and Fed Ex do in service. I doubt there are a hand full of the whiners on here that could do any of these jobs for a week without a day off to recoup.

12. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Not every UPS shop will take your package if it has a gun.

I use United States Post Office for Long Guns only.
    Get insurance and signature confirmation.
    You cannot track in transit but it will get there eventually.

Do NOT ship a handgun via the Post Office

13. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Fed Ex for most inexpensive under 1000-1500 stuff. Wrap it well & go to a Kinko. ALWAYS at LEAST a double box. Tripe is best. Post office registered is the only way for high dollar stuff. I have a 20 ga Skeet Model 21 to ship. PO only but I will triple box. The only thing I will UPS is loaded ammo. Handguns are cheapest thru Post Office & can go Parcel Post if you want. They MUST go FFL to FFL. See postal reg 11.3. You can ship any long gun PO to an FFL or mfg.

14. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

According to my mailman, the laws protecting items shipped by the Post Office are strong and there are big penalties for stealing, tampering, or misdirecting the mail. There is also an office in every town. Priority Mail works fine for me, just pack it so you can drop it from waist height. UPS has a big theft problem, thats why they want handguns shipped Red Label air freight. There's a big difference between stealing the mail and stealing a package from UPS or FedEx.

15. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Ron

Why did you call your dealer to go to UPS? Once a tracking number is dedicated to a package there is immediate tracking thru UPS and Fed Ex. Some of these stories on here are easy to tell that a lot of cases involve the shipping party not packing nor doing things the right way. Then placing blame on the shipper. Much like politicians these days. It is always easier to blame someone else. And yes i will continue to use UPS and Fed Ex as my shippers of choice. The government subsidized p.o. gets enough of my support(taxes) for running a business poorly. And for your info Ron, businesses often get overnight packages that are delivered before any residential packages. Thus a return trip to your neighborhood later in the day.

16. checker

checker Member

Agree with Diamond Grade ....110%.... USPS Registered is Ultimate on high $ gun. UPS insurance on a gun is WORTHLESS....Read the fine print....If you pack the gun in your box insurance is WORTHLESS. Had that experience too.

17. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have used both and my preference is for FedEx. Haven't tried USPS.

18. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have had claims paid by all but FEDEX as I have never had the need. If you want quick at a reasonable fee then the post office Priority mail will be the cheapest. 3 day priority is about the same as UPS ground and that takes a week or more. Post office insurance is very, very high. They have a bunch of paperwork but they have always paid. Have a slip inside the box that shows the destination address just in case the label gets ripped off.

Main thing is pack the gun as if it was to go around the world. fedex covers the gun for the price you put on it and as long as you can verify that you paid what you said it was worth, I am told they will pay. I just use teh Post office even though the insurance is more expensive do to having good luck with them.

We all do what is comfortable and what we have had good luck with. UPS will never get any business from me. What other company comes right out and tells you that they are charging you more to ship your handgun because they have had so many insurance claims from THEIR OWN EMPLOYEES stealing them in transit? I pay more because you employ thieves? I guess that is one way to deal with it. Jeff

19. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Always had a hassle trying to ship with UPS. I opened a FedEx account so I can prepay on line and either drop it off or have it picked up. No complaints or problems with FedEx and rates are lower.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.