1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

UPS or Fed Ex: Which way to ship?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by michmoe, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

I have a gun I need to send back for warranty repair work.I have been told that its easier to Fed

2. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

FEDEX or US Postal Priority Mail Insured with delivery confirmation are the easiest for most folks. UPS has an over abundance of Obama voters and they are a bit skittish about sending guns from private citizens.

Bob

3. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

Thanks Bob..But can I ship postal priority by way of my local post office?

4. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i do us postal--heck , in our small town-ups wont even take a gun to ship!

5. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

I didnt think the post office would take a gun?

6. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Your local post office will gladly take long guns. Pistols are another problem. Make sure they are packaged well and don't put any indication there are firearms in the box. If you are shipping to an FFL have a copy of his license with you in case they ask. (they don't normally).

Bob

7. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

Ok,thanks Bob,I'll give it a shot.Would be a lot easier as the closest UPS center is 25 miles away.So are you saying I shouldnt let the post office know its a gun? or Did you mean I shouldn't leave any evidence of it being a gun so it doesnt get "lost"?

8. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

I would use UPS or Fed Ex for sure. The tracking is far superior and the insurance purchased can actually be collected if the gun is damaged. Never had a problem shipping a gun thru UPS in my life. Just be sure to buy insurance whoever you ship thru. Most horror stories you hear about with damaged guns are the shippers neglagence thru packaging. The gun needs to be in a plastic or better hard case with an outer cardboard cover. Make sure the gun can not move in any direction inside th case. If it can move it will shift as it is handled and will eventually work looser and looser causing some damage to something. The gun has to be held solid in one place.

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

If you use UPS or Fed Ex you will have to take the firearm to your county hub distribution point to ship. If you use US Post Office just go to closest Post Office and tell them you want to ship this to package and insure it for XXX as well. They will ask if it spoils, you say no, then they will ask if it is hazardous, Poison,explode,toxic misc. and you say no. That's it and they will ship it. I didn't tell exactly what it was and they didn't ask exactly what is was. Now for the biggest reason I like the Post Office, if you have a claim they just pay it on the spot. Try that with the other 2 carriers. I bought a barrel from Reminton and when I got it, it was not what I wanted or even in working order according to my gunsmith and he told me to return it, so I did before I fired it. Reminton gave me a big run=around saying they never got it and Bla Bla Bla. Went to post office to collect ins. They gave me a copy of signed delevery and I called Remington back, they said oh it was insured and refunded my cc card asap. Never even wanted the fax. copy of reciept. Try that with the other two as well. Break-em all. Jeff

10. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Stay away from UPS--- in the last four months I've had one stock broken, several air shipments 2 to three days late and just this weekend a shipment clearly marked for Saturday delivery at a gun club in Indiana not delivered. I was furious. They don't care one whit and take no resposibility whatsoever.

I am through with United Parcel Service! Fed Ex or the postal service ONLY! Phil Simms stockmaker

11. coho

coho Member

if you ship ups and it gets damaged or lost then you just ate it. they won't pay even if you paid for the insurance. if you ship it postal service and its insured they pay up- its not their money.i shipped a gun to a gunsmith for repairs and the post office sat something realy heavy on it and bent the trigger guard off and broke the forarm. they said it wasnt packaged good enough even though it was in a hard gun case( they crushed that too) all i had to do was threaten to dispute the claim and they paid up fast. i had a friend that shipped a rare camera via ups, it got lost, they didn't pay. that was 6 years ago and ups is still "looking" for the package. ship it post office.

12. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

Thanks guys..guess I'll send it by way of the post office....appreciate the responses......Moe

13. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

anyone send a handgun through the Post Office? What were the hoops that you went through and is it easier to go through Fedex?

14. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

It is illegal to ship a handgun via USPS...

As an anecdotal story I was trying to ship a case of ammunition to a friend.

USPS says "no."

FedEx was hopeless (the person behind the counter was wearing a burka) - despite having a copy of their own regs they refused to accept it.

In desperation I went to UPS - the woman behind the counter could not have been more helpful, even suggested calling it 'small arms ammunition' rather than 'loaded ammunition.' Their computer wanted to direct it to another address (based on zip code and street number) - she just ignored it and shipped it as I had it labeled. Even loaned me a blue marker to write "ORM-D" on the box. Package arrived in three days (about 1,500 mile trip).

All is not as it seems... Remember, it is often the person you are dealing with rather than the company policy.

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

servn99 - The US Post Office will not ship handguns. Period.

michmoe - Yes, you should tell the US Post Office agent it is a firearm, but be discreet so the sheeple in line with you don't get frightened. To anticipate that the agent doesn't know the rules, go to Joe Potosky's Lost Target website, print out the USPS rules about shipping firearms, and take them with you. If you get any static, ask for the PO manager. The agent at the desk may not know, but the PO manager will. They may ask you to confirm it is not loaded (which is a no-brainer.)

Yes, you should not leave any evidence on the exterior of the packaging that would express or imply that the contents is a gun, so it doesnt get "lost."

I even "modify" the name of the recipient to remove reference to guns, gunsmithing, e.g. change Cole's Gunsmithing to Cole's.

16. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

The last handgun that I bought was sent to my Virginia dealer via Priority Mail from a dealer in Idaho. Guess the word hasn't gotten around...

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

HSLDS

Yes, oddly enough, I have found UPS to be the best way to send loaded ammunition.

That's who I use to send test cartridges to Kevin at Downrange.

18. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I ship all firearms through USPS; never a problem so far.

I got the "we can't ship firearms" BS from UPS so many times I finally threatened to report them to both the state and federal Attorney Generals. That got the attention of the young sweet thing behind the counter and she became much more willing to study up on their firearm shipping regs! They still insisted on opening and inspecting the package before acceptng it, so I decided enough was enough and went to the P.O.

19. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

No problem shipping with USPS or UPS. No deception required. Fed-X will not accept a firearm if you are not an FFL holder (at least that's their regulation). With UPS or Fed-X, good luck in trying to collect on an insurance claim. With USPS I had a hard case damaged while shipping my gun to Ljutic. I filed the claim online. To my disbelief I had a check for full payment of claim in my mail box IN FOUR DAYS.

On one occassion when posting at the Post Office counter I was asked the contents. My reply was "It is a disassembled shotgun". The clerk said "We can not accept firearms". I said "Yes you can!". She looked puzzled and said "OK". True story exactly like it happened.

On my only attempt to ship with Fed-X I did so online. After jumping thru all their hoops I submitted credit card info and my card was charged. Shipment was not accepted because to ship a firearm with Fed-X you have to be an FFL (home office regulation I could not get around). Played hell trying to get back my credit card charge. Others have said to not tell it is a firearm. If you should have to file a damage/lost claim what do you think of your chances to collect?

My preferences: 1) USPS REGISTERRED. 2) USPS PRIORITY 3)UPS

Fed-X is fine for shipments coming to me. Cheaper rates for heavy packages.

Marc

20. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

Shipped a shotgun to California by USPS regestered mail, I have done several this way . I received a call that it did not arrive, I traced it and it went from Louisville, KY to Chicago IL in 2 days and no information after for 16 days, I call and was told they [USPS] will trace it and call me within 2 days, no calls. I looked up the Postal Inspector phone number on line for my area and called him to tell him I am turning it in to BATF as a stolen gun and file a claim on it. It arrived 2 days later at the dealer. I am a FFL dealer and this is the only time anything has happen like this. If you ship USPS you need to fill out a USPS form 1508 declaring it is going to a dealer or mfg for repair and regestered mail. You do not have to be a FFL holder to ship, long guns or handguns for repair. Just keep in mind thing take time, and things do get lost in any shipping process. thanks Ronnie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.