1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

UPS just screwed up my pristine BT-99 combo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TC, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TC

TC TS Member

That is a real shame, I would be heart broken. Having had a little experience with UPS, Fed X, USPS, and others. I learned a long time ago that virtually all packages are thrown and dropped. They are never picked and stacked. It seem to be the worst in the summer months and over Christmas vacation when all the Junior and Senior football players are working to earn a little part time pay.

2. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

John, as a dealer I ship guns to customers all over the USA. We found out the hard way years ago that just because a gun is in a case does not prevent the damage you described. I am sorry for you as I know the feeling opening a case and seeing a damaged gun is a sickening feeling.

We now bubble pack and wedge foam rubber into the case all around the gun. Americases that have storage areas on either end of the receiver/buttstock are bad to have the receiver slide and break the sides of the storage area. Put thick cardboard cut to fit in those spaces to protect the gun and case. If you think it will move in shipment ... it will. Pack them tight.

Hope you get reimbursed for your loss.

Bob Schultz

3. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

That happened to a friend of mine on my shooting team. His 682 stock was damaged, AND he had insurance which UPS refused to compensate him on because he did not pack it right. I wish you the best of luck and hope all turns out well.
    -Trappy

4. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Bob,Thank you for the comment on the cardboard. I normally use bubble pack. Just shipped a K-80 in its Americase to a friend. It went in a wood case also. As a tip,I ALWAYS hard case,then triple cardboard box a valuable gun. A real pain,but helps the claim. At least a hard case & double box. And for the BT-99,I hope for you,UPS just paid $1049 for a damaged SO-4.

5. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

My grandson works for UPS and after hearing some of his stories about how packages are handled, I wouldn't ship a bag of shot with UPS!

6. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

gene, I think the problem is that UPS is about the only carrier who will ship guns. That's just what I heard, correct me if I'm wrong.
    -Trappy

7. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Trappy, USPS also ships long guns....FedEx as well

8. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Good to know, I have to send mine out in a few weeks, thanks.
    -Trappy

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I've never had a claim. That doesn't mean anything other than I use a two box system, wrap the gun in saran, then roll it in corrugated, place it into a 36x6x6 Uline box, fill it with dunnage, tape up the box and place theat inot a 40x8x8 Uline box, put a double wall layer pieces to dampen blows, more dunnage, and then tape a solid package shut. With that I have accomplished the "two box rule" that the shippers want to see in case of a claim and have provided as much protection as is practical

Jaquas likes to ship in the long gun plastic cases. I have done that numerous times and ask that the gun recipeint send me the case back. No damage there either.

Belive it or not, the culprit in the bT99 damage is the weight of the case. and that there is so much room in the case fo rstuff to gain momentum as it is dropped. That likely took place in this injury.

Bob Schultz says it best. Pack the voids tightly wiht somethieng that will take shock. Foam, double wall, Etc.

I have pictures of my set-up for any of those interested in seeing the "system"

Jack

Ok. Here are pics. As soon as I get thru my current set of boxes I will begin using nothing but "Double-Wall" boxes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I now have UPS PU at my door. And download a label and charge the freight to credit card. the typical 1100 like this is about 14#.

Too, I might add that I have used a standard Perazzi flat (older model) plastic case to ship a gun back and forth prob a half dozend times and the case is still in use and none the worse for the shipping wear. Obvioulsly I package it in corrugated and support he contents with real sff that will absorb blows.

Too, guns are shipped all the time in their original cartons, ala a new browning. In that case the foam absorbs the blows and is light to boot.

10. JACK

John. My sympathies. I know you are adept with a dig camera. Do what I do... I Have my main camera I carry around and a secondary dig camera that never leaves my car.

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

make sure to save the box and all packing and take good photos. UPS will jack you around for about 6 months if they pay at all. I only us USPS now. Check with BILLGRILL, he can share an experience on a gun he shipped to me

12. JOND

JOND TS Member

Pack EXTREMELY well and ship USPS. Works for me. JOND

13. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

Well-the insurance is for the seller--NOT the buyer. So--after UPS does their inspection, return the gun for a refund and just unwind the deal. You have no exposure in this deal. The seller will have to deal with UPS--not you.

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

MIA,and Bob Schultz,

Good advice, and good photos.

Where do you get the Uline boxes?

15. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

You HAVE TO assume that any package being moved by any commercial shipper, will take a big hit. Dropping a 15-20 poung package 5 or 6 feet, on it's end, will shift it's contents dramatically.

I tell everyone that calls me about shipping their gun to me, to be sure to pack the inside as tight as possible with newspaper. I've received guns here in their factory cases that have had...many times..the velcro strap torn free of it's rivot. One gun in particular was bounced so hard that the rivot came loose and the gun moved forward and sheared the screw from the trigger guard.

If the box is not damaged, then in my opinion, the fault cannot completely fall on the commercial shipper. The person doing the packaging is the one who should take most the blame. I believe this holds true for the original posters claim.

Gun cases are for carrying your guns to the club and back home. Most are not suited for shipping unless extra precautions are taken.

Doug

16. JACK

timb99. Uline is one of the largest (if not the) packaging components houses in the country. I buy in convenient amounts of 25 boxes of each in a stack. The boxes are about $1.25 apc. the corrugated wrap comes in a roll and I cut that off to size. Prob about 50 cents fo rthe corrugated. I tape better than this shows. in fact I go thru about a half a roll per shipment. Those rolls cost me about 3 bucks in volume.

Note tho, that I said I am going to switch to "double wall". FFor the moment tho, I take double wall that comes in and cut it into sizes that fit int the box adn those will buffer a "hit".

Lastly, i collect substantial shipping boxes. If they appear durable I will fill the voids when I ship a gun case. I pay extra freight, but the shock absorbing features outweigh the costs.

I am goig ot AK in about 3 weeks and I will ship my Perazzi in its Plastic case and tighened up like a drum. Then put it into a corrugated box for abrasion protection. I tiwll be a 9 lb gun, 4 lbs of case and 6 lbs of packaging. It will fly and arrive. I will send it UPS. Then again, I may chck it.

17. JACK

I bought my current MX3 from a fellow that took great pains to buy a Bow case and breake the gun down into pcs and put it in the foam egg crate and when it arrived both stocks (it came iwht 2) had taken hits fro metal parts. I was abel to mostly repair those.

In tha tsituatin the plastic was flimsy and there was no packing in the case to separate parts when they slid around.

18. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I sent a 3200 to cuban cigar and ups busted the stock. After inspection and them saying packaging was ok it still took 4 months to get reimbursed. I believe the only reason I got paid was my company ships 1 to 10 packages per day and the local manager jumped on the band wagon. If not for him I do not believe I ever would have been paid. Bill

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

You should get your money back either way John...it is ruined and as far as I'm concerned it failed the 3 day inspection period...send the gun back to seller...seller should refund your money and he should then have to fight the USPS with a claim to get his loss covered

20. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Calvin: What makes you think the gun had a 3 day inspection period? I see nothing in the original post indicating that it did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.