1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ups gun shipments

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tcr1146, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

According to my dinosaur friend, his local ups shipper will only ship long guns overnight which is extremely expensive! Is his local full of shit or is it true!? If so, is usps or fedex better? Thanks, Tom Rhoads

2. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

Go with FedEX, UPS SUCKS. Woody

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

My understand is that by law all handguns must be shipped overnight. There is no such requirement for long guns. Jackie B.

4. bowsnbulls

bowsnbulls TS Member

I work for UPS, federal law requires handguns to go overnight, long guns can go any method. Sometimes however based on gun value shippers only want to use next day or second day air. And Woody come on we don't suck. Roger

5. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

The local UPS shipper is bull$hitting your friend. I have shipped long guns Ground. There is no explicit rule stating long guns must go overnight. Tell your friend to print out the above page and show it to his shipper. If his shipper still refuses to ship Ground, I would suggest finding a new shipper...and spread the word that this other shipper is a scam artist and is to be avoided. He probably is pocketing the extra $$$$ and shipping the long guns by Ground.

6. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Handguns are required by UPS and Fed Ex to be shipped overnight but long guns can be shipped any way you want. Any clerk telling you otherwise is clueless. UPS and FED EX are both the way to go. You only have problems when you don't package guns well. Make darn sure the gun can not move around inside the case.

7. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

The UPS deal is their policy because they wanted less time on the truck for handguns because employees were ripping them off frequently. For handguns, we use US Mail and that is not overnight----so there is not a Federal law that applies to this----only UPS policy !!!!

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

A private individual cannot mail a handgun through the PO.

Overnight shipping of handguns is a UPS and FED-X company policy, not a federal law.

Long-guns...rifles and shotguns, are permitted to be shipped by ground by both UPS and Fed-X...but not Fed-X Express.

Both companies above may request you show a copy of the receiver's FFL, prior to shipping. IF they do, call the dealer you are shipping to (from the shipping companiy's office), and they can FAX a copy to the shipping Co.

Doug

9. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

An individual cannot mail a handgun with the USPS but a FFL dealer can send it to another FFL dealer. Often sending a handgun by USPS Priority Mail dealer to dealer is less expensive than UPS or FedEx overnight even with the dealer fees.

Jim Skeel

10. napawino

napawino TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have been a dealer for 28 years. There is no federal law that requires a handgun to be shipped overnight. It is a policy of UPS and FedEx. The feds do require an adult signature for delivery of any firearm.
    Fred

11. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

skeeljc, an individual CAN mail a gun thru the USPS. Just not a handgun. It is amazing the untruths that a person can learn from the wire.

GneJ

12. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

UPS does not HAVE to ship your anything. A lot of the confusion comes from trying to ship at a outlet location.....take your gun to UPS directly and you will not have any problems.

Where I live the closest UPS shipper is a farm store.....I'd never attempt to ship a firearm through them. drive the extra 20 miles and do it right.

I receive and my customers receive many packages daily from various shippers....our experience has been that a shipment by UPS usually looks as if it never left the vendors dock.....those from fedex and others look like they drag them to our facility. I've had fedex not deliver a package, saw the truck drive by, their excuse....could not find business, business was closed, too busy to deliver

13. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Now I have to ask a naive question! Why does the shipper have to know or why do I have to tell him there is a gun in the box! As long as I legally ship it to a dealer, what business is it of theirs?! And yes, it is amazing the errors listed above! Even the UPS employee thought it was federal law to ship handguns overnight and I knew that was bullshit! Thanks, Tom Rhoads

14. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

The only thing they need to know what is in the package is the value for the insurance. When they ask me what is in the package I tell the what the value is and want to insure it for that much. If its going to a dealer of sop the know what is in the box or very stupid one of the two. Wild Bill

15. oz

oz Active Member

if I remember I got my M1 by mail from the civilian marksmanship progrem. oz

16. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

All shippers have the right to know what they are receiving for shipment. They also have the right to open any package anywhere along the way. Federal laws that apply to UPS and to Fed Ex do not apply the the USPS. Another grand idea by the government. And yes UPS and Fed Ex require handguns be shipped overnight.

17. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Just ship it as a repair, problem solved

18. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

You can only ship it as a repair to someone that holds an FFL. One way or the other, unless it is shipping within your state, or you are shipping it to yourself, there HAS to be an FFL receiving the firearm, NO MATTER WHAT!

19. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

My UPS will not ship ANY guns---Long or short knowing that there is a gun in the pkg and forget insurance----You pay and don't tell and try to collect---Good luck----Just check me out----Take the gun in package and tell it's a gun and try to insure----Have a claim and out of luck----USPS is the only way to go in my area----Just bring a copy of FFL and a note from 3rd party that gun is not loaded and good to go including insurance----That's the way it is in my town----Why save a few $$s--Ask UPS to give you a receipt that gun is in the pck and they will tell to forget it----Try it and get back---I'll take your answer to my local UPS---Bet there is no takers--Go USPS--Try the same with FED-X-The key is to ask for a receipt that a gun is in pkg----That's my advice---gL----SJB

20. MACH4RANDY

MACH4RANDY Member

USPS stole a gun right of the box and then tried to not payoff on the insurance. Finally did but took several (6-7)weeks. FedEx works best for me.
    This whole thing is amazing to me, that these 3 different organizations don't have the same rules within their own companies everywhere across the US.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.