1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ups gun shipments

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tcr1146, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Need help guys! According to an older dinosaur than me, UPS now will only ship overnight?! Is this true or is his local shipping depot full of shit like most of them?! Also, is usps or fedex better to ship long guns?! Thanks, Tom Rhoads

2. rw993

rw993 Active Member

Only Handguns require Next Day.

Ron Wilson

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Yes, full of shit.

I prefer USPS, and I have copy of the regulations when I go.

You can get them on Joe Petoskey's website, losttarget.com

Mashy Linky

HM

4. surfcitydude

surfcitydude Member

If it is a UPS store, they are indeed full of sh*t. The stores only connection with UPS is the rights to the name. They don't know shipping laws regarding guns and also charge whatever they want, well above the standard fees at a UPS hub location. I was quoted $98 to ship my CG back to MD for service, including insurance from a UPS store. Then when he heard it was a shotgun, he refused to ship it stating it was illegal (wrong). I took it to the UPS hub an hour later and told him what the item was. $61 including insurance, standard ground shipping. One gun seller I've talked to tells me he always declares his shipments "machine parts", to take care of uneducated counter personnel.

5. pdq

pdq Member

If you ship via UPS, do so at your own risk. A couple years ago I shipped my trapgun via UPS and took out insurance. The gun arrived damaged. After three weeks of run around it became clear that they were going to ignore me until I went away.

So, I filed a claim under my homeowners insurance company (Chubb), they sent me a check in 2 days, and then they went after UPS.

In talking with others, UPS is worthless.

Pete

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Declaring a gun as "machine parts" is a good way to get your insurance claim denied if it gets lost or damaged in transit, as well as being illegal under federal law.

7. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Ian: I am sure you can provide written proof that this would be against federal law! Could you please provide the link to that statute? Tom Rhoads

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: provide written proof that this would be against federal law

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ups gun shipments