1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

UPS Damages Another nice gun!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rick979, Jun 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Just received a Beretta combo. from a nice fellow back East. Opened her up at my FFL dealer and guess what....a broken forearm wood. Maybe that is the reason that I always use USPS Priority Mail when I ship my guns. Here is the photo. Anyone got a nice replacement for me?? Thanks, Rick .... Texas

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Joel Etschen will have it

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I agree with EE, it did not sustain much of a blow so it appears to have been poorly wrapped

4. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Maybe so but who knows. Thanks for the input. I will try to get in touch with Joel. Anyone have his contact info.??

5. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Not saying anything to defend UPS but why don't we hear about the many guns UPS ships eveyday and there is no damage? I have received dozens with no problems. Only one damaged was poorly packed.

6. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Sorry to here that. I've shipped 70 guns by UPS and not a problem. During their strike they were brutal. Nothing could be labeled "Fragile" cause it would be kicked from door to door. Dave T.

7. rick979

rick979 Active Member

I value your opinions. Either way I welcome an opportunity to buy some new forend wood if you have one. I left a message for Joel Etchen on his recorder. I am sure he will call me back when he is back in the shop. Thanks...Rick ..... Texas

8. rick979

rick979 Active Member

No "Sarge" I am not going to rename the thread. The gun was jostled pretty hard by someone and I am confident it was not the seller. Considering they get upwards of $60.00 for shipping I think UPS should try harder not to beat the hell out of the packages that are intrusted to them. The thread will soon die a natural death.

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The last package I picked up from UPS was a collapsible cooler. The bubble envelope had TIRE TRACKS on it. I mentioned to the cashier that I was lucky the article mailed was not fragile.

Without cracking a smile, the lady said, "Yes, you were lucky", and walked off. I started going to FedEx then. I got a commercial account, and have had no issues.

If you look at the back of the picture, you see a UPS employee climbing over parcels. This is not a little guy.

A while back, an Americase was heavily damaged by UPS. It looked as though it had been hit HARD by a ball peen hammer. It was replaced, and DID protect my high grade K-80 inside.

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

11. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

The gun was in a case? I dont see any way the shipping company was at fault unless the case is crushed or they opened it and broke it

It would appear it was broken when it went into the case or there was too much room in the case and it somehow banged around-- but that would have been taken care of by filler material

I still dont see even with too much room in the case how it could break unless the case was crushed or the parts banged against each other

just a deductive thought

Gene

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Hi Rick...I think with how clean that break is that with a good wood epoxy and then using ladies fingernail buffing pads you could glue that and it would truly be invisible..and if you got a new one at least you would have a perfect spare...I would be happy tp repair it for you but who would we use to ship by that would not turn it into fancy Italian toothpicks??

13. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Thank you Calvin!! and Sportshot!! Sportshot: The DT10 I sent to you last week was was "bubble wrapped" and then put in the Beretta case....then a cardboard box with lots of peanuts inside. Then I shipped it USPS "Priority Mail" and insured it for $5,000.00> I know from our phone call that you love the gun. I am sooooo glad it got there safely my friend. Rick.... Texas

14. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I wouldn't ship a rock via UPS.

15. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rick. The break on that Beretta is common. A weak spot.

16. Jim Zee

Jim Zee Active Member

I work for a HVAC company and we were wating for a pulley to arrive from Fla.to N.J.here comes the ups truck and door opens and the driver( female) starts tossing items out the door thankfully she only dropped the pully to the floor of the truck not the concrete.Yes the pulley was fine but it is still quite ignoreant.

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I bought a used gun and received it in a manufacturers shipping carton. Pre-formed styrofoam thick enough for most situations in handling. UPS package handling gorillas managed to break the stock on the gun without too much damage to the styrofoam!! It had to have a severe slam on an angle on its end to create such force. UPS sux and they can do without my money. Hap

18. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

UPS always seems to deny claims as a matter of course

Gene

19. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

If you don't note the damage right there with the driver you are SOL, if the box ever looks crushed torn damaged in any way make them stand right there while you open it an inspect it!! DO NOT SIGN FOR IT until you know it's OK!! and that goes for FRED EX also or any carrier parcel or truck freight.

20. capvan

capvan Active Member

I used to ship a LOT with UPS. Had some problems and some lost or damaged shipments. UPS was always very prompt with the claim checks. Appropriate packing is the answer. I now ship ham radio gear and found the box within a box to work well. I usually end up with a package at least twice the size of the item or more and damages have been minimal. IMHO, I think FedEx Ground does a better job. The drivers are independent contractors and they have to pay for lost shipments.

Bruce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.