1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

UPS can kiss my . . . . . go Fed Ex

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by TX-MX, Jun 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TX-MX

TX-MX TS Member

took my kid's gun to the UPS terminal to ship for repairs. not the UPS store mind you, but a major UPS shipping terminal.

To no avail.

The young girl behind the counter looked at me like she had seen a ghost.

When sufficently recoverd, she fetched her manager, who went one better and dressed me down for even sugesting such a thing. "I ain't never shipped no gun out of here," she all but yelled. "UPS doesn't ship firearms," she added.

I showed her the page from the UPS website that detailed the firearms policy and told her I was just following instructions from the UPS 1-800 number, but then figured I'd quit begging them to take my money.

Drove to Fed Ex, 10 minutes later, the gun was labeled and on the truck. No issues, they were glad to do it.

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

UPS sucks

3. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

A buddy of mine went into a local UPS office to ship a trap gun. The counter girl said it would be a minute or two. It took that long for the cops to come and quiz him. The cops were not happy about her wasting their time either. FedEx has a few warts on their nose also though. In the early days of HazMat shipments I was given a list of actions to be taken in case of a spill or fire involving such materials we had on board. One required an 8' earthen berm be bulldozed around the damaged carrier. Our carrier being a Douglas DC-8 at that time prompted me to ask our overworked and underpaid ops supervisor how I was to accomplish this. He handed me a government issued railroad disaster manual. Thats all they had in those days. This was before FedEx I should add.

4. perga1

perga1 Active Member

How about this one. 9.8lb gun from Tampa to Oregon insured for $4,000, $44.83 via FedX. Same gun from Oregon to Tampa $127.75 via UPS. FedX ground took 6 days to deliver, UPS with 3 day select takes 5 days. Duh, who do I never ship with? UPS > JRM

5. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

You should have known UPS would suffer when Dale Jerrett retired. Allen

6. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Must be the reason UPS is a fortune 500 company and Fed Ex is headed down the drain. Check thier stock performane and get back to me. One is a world leader in the shipping industry the other a want to be with very poor management. Ship with who you want but the fact taht you only have three or four that agree with you says a lot. UPS ships more packages a day than Fed Ex does a week. Just something else to think about. I don't like the shipping hassles either but it is a sign of the times.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I thought up a good name for UPS....<br>
    <br>
    Unreasonably Poor Service

8. dfrank7262

dfrank7262 TS Member

Currently fighting with UPS over a stock I shipped that was lost. Stock was insured for purchase price. UPS is not insisting that, because the buyer paid "X" amount for the gun, that doesn't establish the actual worth of the merchandise! Copies of the buyer's canceled check and my canceled check returning his money to him aren't enough, apparently for them. You wouldn't believe the hoops they are trying to make me jump through to claim my insured value of the package.

Dana

9. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I have both a FEDX and UPS commercial accounts and after using UPS for about 10 years, only use them now if I ABSOLUTELY have to. UPS will charge you an "oversize" package charge, regardless of weight, in my case they charged my account $120.00 to ship a rifle 120 miles 2 day ground.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Has anyone ever filed in small claims court against UPS?

11. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I still have a claim outstanding with UPS from 6 years ago for a measly $33.00. They do not pay for lost or damaged items and the incidence for lost firearms is pretty scary. I don't care how big they are their service and charges are horrendous. USPS or FedX for me. JRM

12. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

I have commercial accounts with both UPS & Fedex.

Fedex almost always stops at my business after 6:00PM for deliveries knowing we close at 5:00. This includes overnight shipments. They are still unable to read “RECEIVING” above one door after 11 years at the same address with the same sign.

I have had two claims with UPS which were both paid in full with much satisfaction. They are reasonable, on time, understand English and do not have any trouble reading signs that are 1 foot tall on my building.

I’ll stick with Brown!

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

the big companies ship firearms UPS with no trouble. And that's as far as it goes. They pick up pre addressed packages, Its the same routine day in and day out, and there are no anomalies.

The problem Is when you have to walk in and deal with a counter monkey. Especially one with an authority complex.

HM

14. bkms

bkms Member

Late last year i went to the UPS store after seeing their advertisment about them packing and shipping. So i hand them my gun stock and they freak out. Saying thats not shippable, its a gun part. Needless to say i told them a few things they didnt want to hear and how they were idiots and nothing should be allowed to be shipped if a piece of wood is considered dangerous. They said the UPS terminal would accept guns but they wont. They are not part of UPS. Screw the UPS store, please dont use them, another example of scum sucking democrats.........

15. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I also have a commercial account with Fed Ex, and for good reason.

16. shooterup

shooterup TS Member

Sorry for your shipping troubles. Unfortunately the shipping companies are staffed with human beings that have to follow corporate policies which seem to be interpreted differently by individual employees. We just try to get the job done. It would be great if everone was on the same page. Customer service should be a priority in every transaction. And hopefully consistent, Somedays that focus gets lost.

17. 22eley

22eley TS Member

There is a special place in hell for the manager in Defiance ohio UPS

18. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I have both UPS and FedEx commerical accounts, but as an NSSF member, the FedEx discounts on "Overnight" and "Ground" are really a good deals - pays for the NSSF membership alone - can use your existing FedEx account number - no hassles.

Recently, I used UPS to ship my 90T up to GunDr (his recommendation) because UPS passes his place twice a day during working hours, whereas FedEx Ground passes once after hours and is notorious for dropping off without signature.

Could you imagine leaving a firearm overnight on a stoop at a gunsmith shop?!

Anyway, took the gun to my local UPS counter and the gal was knowledgeable, made a couple quick recommendations and I was on my way in 15 minutes with gun there in 2 days. Its not the arrow - its the indian.

Jay

Both have their place

19. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Buddy of mine has a gun shop, a little over a year ago, a Browning 525 came in with the forearm busted. The box looked like it had been abused. Also, a few years prior to that he had a Winchester 9410 come in with the buttstock busted at the grip. Looked like someone had jumped on the box. He doubted that the factory sent them out that way. Of course it was cheaper to send the gun back to the factory than to deal with UPS. The Winchester came back in about 3 weeks, but it 6 months before he got the 525 back. He quit shipping through them after the 525. Either they have some jerks or peed off people for employees, not to mention their excessive shipping charges. What can Brown do for you? . . . . NOTHING!! John

20. starship

starship TS Member

Sorry but I've had nothing but good luck with UPS. Shipped shotgun twice with them and both times all went well.

First time all they asked me was if the word "shotgun" had to appear in the address. We agreed that the first name of the shop and "inc" would get it there and no one the wiser as to what was in the box. It went there and back with no issues.

Yesterday I went to the local customer service center (only one authorized to ship firearms) and it was ten minutes before opening time. The front door was open so I stuck my head in and asked the lady if she was open yet. She said "well I'm here and ready to go so I might as well be open." I gave her the package, told her what it was, insured it and shipped it and was out of there right as they were supposed to actually open. Great attitude and good service from an outstanding employee.

I realize not all employees are like this but don't condemn them all just because some dont' care about much of anything except going to lunch on time and getting a paycheck. Unfortunately almost all employers have some of those.

Chuck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.