1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

UPS becoming Anti Gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 50calshooter, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 50calshooter

50calshooter TS Member

Been shipping ammo and guns through local UPS, the store now has entered into a agrement with UPS that no guns or ammo can be shipped from there. You have to go to there main store 45 miles away. Any one else had UPS change the rules on them? Does FedX ship ammo and Guns?

2. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I don't know if they still do, but I thought Fed Ex Ground might still ship long guns and hand guns to FFL's without the overnight requirement. But it has been almost a year since I last checked with Fed Ex.

John E.

3. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

i have to go to main ups here too 30mi away

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

50cal. you phrased it funny. Like maybe that UPS does not trust the little local guy to handle ammo or perhaps the local guy may have treid to ship a hazmat thing.

My UPS guy picks up from me. But he is on vacation and we'll see what the replacemnt guy does next week.

5. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I have a UPS and FedX account and just print the labels on my printer at home. Hand them off to a UPS driver or drop the FedX shipment off at Kinkos and no questions asked. Can't believe more people don't do this 'cause its so simple.

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

I had this problem with one of the local UPS Stores. I asked them to pack a Perazzi for shipment to have it repaired. They said they would pack it but not ship it. I then pulled out my UPS book and number and they said they would take the shipment because I was the shipper. Go figure. Same store... They knew what it was.... They would not ship it themselves but they would accept it for shipment. Moronic isn't it...

Tom

7. samiam03

samiam03 Member

Same problem with a business pickup. Shipped in a hardsided guncase secured with zipties. Wrote "Gunsmith" after his name - problem solved.

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

P3AT's got it - been that way for years at the local UPS stores in my experience for at least 8, maybe 10 years - don't know about prior.....Bob Dodd

9. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I believe you can print the labels off the computer, but the package has to be hand delivered to the UPS DRIVER. You can call for a pick up, or chase the driver down.

For years the local NON-UPS OWNED shipping stores are not allowed to ship firearms under UPS's policy. AND, if the store does, AND, if your gun gets damaged, I highly doubt UPS will settle the claim.

UPS hasn't had a change in firearm policies for quite some time. The most recent two were the HAZ-MAT fee and the NEXT DAY AIR for handguns.

10. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Firearms are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or at The UPS Store or any third party retailer.

11. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

The UPS store is not owned, or operated by UPS but a third party. They will not ship any firearm related part down to and including a choke tube or recoil pad. If you go to the UPS shipping center, they'll ship a gun with no problem. The jerks who run the UPS store are miserable to deal with too. I'll carry what I want to ship on my back to the destination before I'd go to the UPS store.

12. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

You do not have to volunteer the contents of the package and you can save a lot of ya-ya by keeping your tater-trap closed.

The shippER is presumed to be shipping legal goods.

Bob

13. bkms

bkms Member

Two years ago i tried to mail a gunstock and the UPS store would not ship it. It was classified as a gun. A damn piece of wood is a gun? After telling them what a bunch of stupid $#%^^&^%$$## they were i walked out. I will never use them again. Fing democrats!!!

14. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Take the time to read UPS regulations they are all on their web site rather than believing third hand information. They have not allowed the UPS stores to ship firearms for some time. Pulling one over on them is not too smart if something happens to your shipment, they will refuse to honor any insurance because the shipment was against their policy. Best to follow their regulations even if they are not the law. I don't like it but in my business I haven't much choice. When they decided to require next day air for all hanguns it affected my business a great deal, who wants to spend $75 or more shipping to get $200 worth of work or less done. We need a progun shipping agency but I don't see that happening.

15. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I was not suggesting 'pulling' one over on them; far from it, but one is not obligated to volunteer information, either.

I use UPS as little as possible, for anything, and absolutely prefer USPS for guns and FEDEX for ORM-D.

Bob

16. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

If you ship a gun and Insure it you have to open your "tater trap" Ups had a second day saver for hand guns. I was told that Fedx changed to the next day. Next day can cost alot. Ups second day for a S&W 460 is $44 Halfmile sent a next day Fedx from WI to WV was $72 .

17. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I think all you are obligated to do is ask for the correct carriage (which is your responsibility, anyhow) and pay the premium for the amount of insurance you wish.

If they ask what you are shipping, you can tell them 'machine parts' or a 'legal firearm', your call, but you do NOT have to volunteer the information before they ask.

Bob

18. Herman63

Herman63 Member

My understanding is if you are sending a gun to a FFL you have to og to depot, I send mine for repair at the ups store as I don't need FFL for repair.

Herman63

19. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I just shipped a handgun via a UPS "authorized shipper" using their 2nd Day Air service (at their suggestion). No problems and the gun was delivered the NEXT day!

AndyH ;-)

20. blooch

blooch Member

For clarity..........no third party shipper, like a local UPS store, PAK and SHIP, etc, that is not wholley owned by UPS, can legally accept a gun for shipping, it is the law, not UPS ,FEDEX, etc policy alone. That is why you can give a gun directly to the UPS driver and it's okay, but not to take it to a shipping place who hands it off to the actual shipper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.